News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Scarborough and East York are still suffering in this regard.
Offhand, I can't think of any subway entrances in East York. The bridge to Victoria Park starts in East York, but the fare gates are in Scarborough. The new second entrance for Woodbine station will be in East York - but it's not planned to open until 2017 sometime - but the main entrance and bus bays are not in East York.

Off hand, I can't think of any other entrances in East York. The old border between East York and Toronto is generally about 4 blocks or more north of Danforth, except the little piece at Woodbine, and Shoppers World.

BTW, the last email update for the Woodbine station second entrance, said the new faregates would be installed by year end in the main entrance.

Last edited:
Spadina station had it's old gates ripped out last year for Presto reader installation, but they stuck the same old gates back in after. The new gates had already been announced at that point, so I wonder if they did the required electrical work to support them and it's just a matter of swapping them in. I guess we'll see.

I'd still like to see Presto installed at the second entrance there (the old house).

Offhand, I can't think of any subway entrances in East York. The bridge to Victoria Park starts in East York, but the fare gates are in Scarborough. The new second entrance for Woodbine station will be in East York - but it's not planned to open until 2017 sometime - but the main entrance and bus bays are not in East York.

Off hand, I can't think of any other entrances in East York. The old border between East York and Toronto is generally about 4 blocks or more north of Danforth, except the little piece at Woodbine, and Shoppers World.

Ah, so I overgeneralized. I don't remember the old 6 as well as I thought. Let's just say most of the Danforth.

7WLIwRB.png

Last edited:
I've gotten some picture of the work at Victoria Park station. It looks like they have installed the wiring and stiff for the first half of the gates and are moving on to the second half.

29372448173_7d7281fe3b_z_d.jpg

This first picture is from a few weeks ago looking through the galls wall that they left uncovered. Since then they have repaired and finished the floor in this section and now have it covered wit plywood.

30256648652_bc036ebfd4_z_d.jpg

This one is from Today

The TTC tweeted that Presto (so therefore, new fare gates right?) is now available at Glencairn station.
Though getting PRESTO and new fare gates is not necessarily the same thing I think that if a station gets PRESTO now it also gets new fare gates as I think they are no longer attaching PRESTO readers to old gates.

Though getting PRESTO and new fare gates is not necessarily the same thing I think that if a station gets PRESTO now it also gets new fare gates as I think they are no longer attaching PRESTO readers to old gates.

Also, Glencairn was scheduled to have gates installed in the summer.

They filled in some of the gaps caused by the new fare gates with permanent fixtures at the St. Clair north entrance. First I've seen this throughout the system.

Well, there were gaps on the edges, where the dimensions of the new gates didn't fit properly between columns and walls.

It's more prominent at the Scotiabank entrance, as there's a column right in the middle, so there's a gap on either side of the column, plus a gap at the walls, just because of the dimensions of the gates. They had used those movable barrier things, like they use to queue people for the streetcar at Spadina, to fill the gaps. But it looks like they've found a permanent solution.

I'll try to take a pic after work.

Here's what I'm talking about. This is the Scotiabank entrance.
View attachment 89305View attachment 89306
Looks fine to me. Clearly the spaces in stations where there are gates are not standard but gates are standard widths so there are likely to be these gaps. I assumed that once the gates were installed they would take exact measurements and make barriers to fill thee gaps properly. That is what seems to be happening.

Back