News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Since other GTA transit agencies, including GO, may continue charging children under 12 (Brampton children under 12: $2.50), would a child using a PRESTO card deduct zero when they use the TTC?

It's going to be very difficult for an automatic transfer table system to deal with this kind of situation. Fortunately I had the Metropass that day, though only the Greenwood bus driver might challenge it - looked normal to everyone else - and the Greenwood driver could see the accident and stuck bus.

Nothing will work without someone making exceptions (refunding fares based on circumstances). A hard 2-hour window will require massaging during poor weather for many riders. The nice thing about everything being on Presto and fed into a central system in near-real time is the Metrolinx could analyse the data with a vector machine to identify group exceptions before getting phone calls. A large number of people all performing the same unusual movement, like taking 60 minutes to go 3 blocks and transferring to another vehicle, are probably a sign that trips going over the time limit (or any other rule) may need a refund for additional charges.

Based on my experience with GO, they'll wait until you call and complain then happily and quickly fix the issue, but will not take the initiative themselves.

Last edited:
Hmmm...

Given that children 12 and under can ride for free, it would be advisable to carry a clean free commuter paper to place over the seat, since children just love to step on the seats (and is unenforceable, despite what the bylaw says).

Oh, and what is the difference between a 12-year-old and a 13-year-old (just by looking)? The age one undergoes puberty can vary, which means that there can be 12-year-olds with deep voices and body hair and 13-year-olds who sound like children and lack any hair below the neck.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the announcement. Increased service and more route management is a no brainier but children under 12 for free infuriates me. What's even worse is the ridiculous cost of the metropass. With my three weeks vacation, stat holidays and expected sick days I can no longer break even. I don't use the TTC on the weekends as it is generally unreliable and parking is cheap.

Guess I'm switching to tokens. Seems counterproductive, no?

I remember filip posting approvingly about Fords cuts in 2011.. (Except for HIS express bus route, which was clearly the only one that was needed), so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Why are you upset about free rides for 12 year olds?

Maybe because we shouldn't subsidize people's choice to have children. With children you are given myriads of subsidies and tax breaks. We don't need anymore especially when this is financed by levying another fare increase and a property tax increase to fund it. For a system that is constantly crying due to low funds, I don't see how eliminating fares for a segment of the population is going to fix it.

I remember filip posting approvingly about Fords cuts in 2011.. (Except for HIS express bus route, which was clearly the only one that was needed), so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

I'm not quite clear on what you're trying to achieve by trolling, but I never said I supported those cuts. I said based on my experience with one of the routes they were cutting (a branch of the Royal York South bus that goes along Grand Ave.) it was warranted. Every time I used that bus (and I did fairly often as it would drop me off closer to home) it was empty. We are not in the business of running empty buses despite what you think.

The express bus was due to typical TTC mismanagement as it was a trial route. The TTC said the numbers weren't there, meanwhile we were standing on the bus. So, after enough lobbying by our community, they actually got people to come count ridership and surprise surprise the bus was moved to a full time route because ridership warranted it. Yes, I will get upset over these things...

Maybe next time you should be more informed before making blanket accusations.

Last edited:
Maybe because we shouldn't subsidize people's choice to have children.
So your in favour of charging them all $3 from birth? Should we also not subsidize people's choice to get old and charge them $3 too?

What about the subsidy of people's choices to buy and use cars downtown. Should restore the Vehicle Registration tax, and toll local roads? Perhaps a $20/trip charge for crossing Bathurst, the Don River, or Bloor Street?

And those Express buses, are way subsidized compared to regular services. Should we increase the fares on them, so the subsidy is closer to $1 a ride like the other routes?

Maybe because we shouldn't subsidize people's choice to have children. With children you are given myriads of subsidies and tax breaks. We don't need anymore especially when this is financed by levying another fare increase and a property tax increase to fund it. For a system that is constantly crying due to low funds, I don't see how eliminating fares for a segment of the population is going to fix it.

I'll agree with you to a certain extent.

The reason I support this program is because it will be of great help to poorer families in the city. However, I don't think free fares should apply to families who aren't of lower income. They really don't need the break. But the bureaucracy to set this up may be so expensive that extending it to all families, regardless of income may be the less expensive option.

That said, I'm still really happy with this program. I know this will help lots of families who are struggling.

Where did you see that the TTC is buying 10 new trainsets? I don't see that in the press release.
It was mentioned on the budget presentation, about things we are spending money on.

It's not news - TTC increased the order or TR trains from 70 train sets to 80 train sets in April 2014. We discussed in the TR thread - www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2014/March_26/Reports/PAA_Purchase_10_additional_Toronto_Rocket_Train_Sets.pdf

Anyone know why the TTC is buying 10 more subway trainsets? and what are they for?

From the document nfitz linked:

TTC Staff recommend the procurement of 10 additional TR train sets to ensure sufficient trains are available to fully realize the benefits of the ATC Project and accommodate future ridership growth. The purchase of additional trains from the same car builder ensures technological consistency across the fleet without introducing operational complications. The proposed contract amendment is based on an increased train price that is deemed reasonable.

Back