News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Letting children 12 and under ride for free is genius.

It drastically simplifies the transit riding experience for young families. There is no need to carry large amounts of change or tickets for relatively trivial amounts of money.
It will make school field trips a lot easier. The process to get tickets or cash from every parent is onerous.

The TTC will save money by no longer needing to administer/produce/distribute child tickets.
Presumably the $7 million cost includes that savings. Is it really $10 million of revenue with $3 million of cost? $30 million of revenue with $23 million cost? No idea.

Re: kids for free

I suspect this might have been done to make the Presto implementation (whenever that is fully rolled out) somewhat simpler. There would now be only 1 concession fare (Students/seniors).
It might have been a factor. But elsewhere it's under 6 are free, not under 13. Some other agencies have separate fares for 6-12 and students 13+. MiWay has 6-12, 13-19, and students>19 all with different fares.

I'm not surprised they made under 6 free, as TTC was only agency charging for them. I am surprised they made under 13 free. These are quite expensive on all other agencies with Presto, ranging from $1.53 in Ottawa to $2.20 in Oakville. We were only 60¢.

It, however, does not mention where the temporary storage facility will be. My guess, pave some of the land near the current Downsview station. Any vacate shopping mall or discount department store parking lots available?
If it's only 50 buses, could they use Danforth, and clear out some of what is being stored there to somewhere else? If this is for downtown express service, it would be conveniently located.

Though I'm sure there's enough empty parking lots available in the Portlands.

Last edited:
http://www.ttc.ca/News/2015/January/19012015NR.jsp

These new investments will provide the following enhanced services to Toronto commuters:
• Restoration of all day, everyday bus service that was cut in 2011
• Ten-minute or better bus and streetcar service on key routes from 6 a.m. to 1 a.m. six days a week (9 a.m. on Sundays)
• Reduced wait times and crowding at off-peak times
• Reduced wait times and crowding on 21 of the busiest routes during morning and afternoon rush hours
• Proof-of-payment and all-door boarding on all streetcar routes
• Expansion of the Express Bus network, adding four new routes to a network that serves 34 million rides annually
• Expanding the Blue Night Network, adding 12 routes to the 22-route network that serves 4 million rides annually
• Adding up to two additional subway trains on Lines 1 and 2 during morning and afternoon rush hours
• Route management improvements designed to reduce short-turns, bunching and gapping of bus and streetcar routes
• Additional resources to focus on subway reliability around signals, track and communications systems

This investment in TTC service also includes 50 new buses and a temporary storage facility to allow for the Express Bus network expansion, reduction of wait times and crowding on some peak-period routes, as well as the need for spare buses during maintenance.

So, the fare increase is 10¢ per token, which is an increase of %3.7

I'm reading that the metropass is going up from $133.75 to $141.50, which is an increase of %5.8

Considering it's usually practice to increase fares by a proportional amount (which would have a metropass price of 138.70), it seems they're increasing the number of rides for a metropass to break even to 51, from 50. (actual ratios of 50.5, and 49.5)

So, the fare increase is 10¢ per token, which is an increase of %3.7

I'm reading that the metropass is going up from $133.75 to $141.50, which is an increase of %5.8
Where did you read that? The press release says "a 10-cent proportionate fare increase will apply to all TTC fares except for cash fares" which would increase the pass to $138.75 not $141.50.

Edit, CITY seems to be reporting it.

Well, that would make John Tory a liar wouldn't it. That's not proportionate with a 10¢ token increase like he said! So presumably as we all know that John Tory isn't a liar, then CITY is wrong.

Last edited:
If true, this just isn't acceptable.

Putting up tokens 3.7% after the 1.9% fare increase is pushing it. But putting up passes 5.8% after the 4.1% increase last year. That's 10.2% in just 2 years! I think that's just going to push too many buttons.

And compared to the 5-year freeze on the $3 cash fare? Essentially Metropass users are subsidizing those who use cash fares.

Why can't we have all door boarding on bus routes too?

That should probably happen eventually.

However, I think it makes sense to start with the streetcars since the streetcars are larger, even more so with the new ones (if we ever get more). Larger vehicles with more doors & low floors benefit more from all door boarding.

That should probably happen eventually.
No it shouldn't. You'd need about 500 fare inspectors rather than 100. And geographically huge area to cover. The cost to implement would be huge compared to the marginal benefit in faster buses. It might make more sense on the artics, which have 3 doors instead of 2.

We knew POP was necessary with the new streetcars. They've just implemented it earlier than expected.

I'm pretty excited about these changes. I never thought I would be saying "I'm not sure if that improvement is really necessary", but 12 new Blue Night routes is really surprising. (After all, they were talking about cutting the 306 Carlton and 316 Ossington night routes a few years ago).

More express routes and an improved frequent network is great news and will really help increase ridership and make the existing system better.

Seems to me that Tory has gone most of the way to delivering Olivia Chow's transit promises, no? (I'm about to get trounced if I'm wrong about that.)

Big fan of most of these changes.

The express bus network expansion and restoration of the service lost due to the Ford/Stintz cuts is a step forward in making the bus network a bit less ridiculous and a bit more usable for the huge numbers that ride it everyday.

All-door boarding and POP on all streetcar routes is a step that I'm surprised for them to take so quickly, but certainly very pleased. It's already made some degree of difference on Spadina, and it'll be even better once people really get it in their minds that they don't all have to stream in by the front door and hold up the driver with their transfers and passes.

Free rides for kids under 12 is great too, for obvious reasons.

The disproportionality of the fare increase is however pretty ridiculous - Metropasses are already incredibly expensive, and unless they would just get the ball rolling on Presto already there's no easy alternative for daily riders.

Two hour transfers, as mentioned above, are also conspicuously absent. That alone is one aspect of the service improvement recommendations from last year which would've made the TTC infinitely more useful for a huge number of trips and potential riders, and they've maintained the current antiquated system for at least the near future. Have to shake my head on that one.

Back