News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I can't tell if it's on purpose but a lot of the judges decisions lately have no basis in logic.

Really?

Let me repost the article link for credit purposes here and making it easy for everyone to follow:

From the above:

1718190318310.png

1718190382850.png

We can really stop there , can't we?

The above certainly seems to establish that the accused in this case was not in his right mind.

To add to this, the Defense had their client examined by a second psychiatrist who then agreed w/the diagnosis/conclusion of the first.

In respect of the second case, again let me post the link:

From the above:

1718190708967.png

To be clear, neither of the accused has been set free at this time; both were remanded to the custody of the Ontario Review Board, or in plain English, they are both now in secure mental health facilities and will be released only
when doctors deem that they pose no further threat to public safety.

Other than the vehicle cleaners, I think that there are two, separate concerns that were raised by the union regarding contracting out within maintenance. One aspect has been the sending out of complex components like engines and transmissions and electrical components to third parties for rebuild or exchange. The union has been fighting to bring this back in-house for a long time, and I wonder if this was one of the points that they were sticking on. I've also been told that the union was apparently upset about the contractors working in the divisions performing warranty repairs to the various new vehicles - it sounds like one of the wins was that TTC's own staff will now be performing this work, with the warranty techs looking on.

The red vests used at the various subway closures/detours are all contracted. To be honest, I'm not sure that they could get enough staff without hiring more to handle their jobs. They'd also been trying to get some of the station cleaning jobs contracted out, but I don't believe that they were successful on that.

Dan
Really interesting - my experience in the UK is that manufacturers of buses/trains now see long-term maintenance contracts as another source of income. Without naming a particular rolling stock manufacturer, having a much lower purchase price but linking the price to a maintenance contract that will deliver their actual profit...
A similar approach to the car industry - they want you to visit the BMW service centre every time your car needs a service!

Not a surprise that the union is pushing back on this.

Reactions: PL1
The above certainly seems to establish that the accused in this case was not in his right mind.
Which makes me wonder how many other potentially homicidal schizophrenics are wandering the TTC today, just waiting for their chance to stab, push or immolate us. Of course it's not just on the TTC where this is an issue.

Last edited:
I can't tell if it's on purpose but a lot of the judges decisions lately have no basis in logic.
This decision seems in line with decades of similar decisions, and keeps Canadians safe, by keeping him incarcerated much longer if he s still a danger to society.

I'm not sure why some seem more interested in vengeance than the safety of Canadians.

Which makes me wonder how many other potentially homicidal schizophrenics are wandering the TTC today, just waiting for their chance to stab, push or immolate us. With the monsters among us I'll stick to driving the car, cycling or walking.
The death rate from cycling and cars is much higher than the death rate from riding the TTC.

There's no need to be frightened.

Last edited:
Which makes me wonder how many other potentially homicidal schizophrenics are wandering the TTC today, just waiting for their chance to stab, push or immolate us. Of course it's not just on the TTC where the insane will get us.

With such monsters among us I'll stick to driving the car, cycling or walking.

Jeez - so much fear in your life. It feels like fully half of your posts are rooted in fear of living and traveling in the city. Doesn’t it get draining?

Jeez - so much fear in your life. It feels like fully half of your posts are rooted in fear of living and traveling in the city. Doesn’t it get draining?
I thought that might provoke such a reply, apologies for the hyperbole, I'll clean that up a little with an edit.

Not to worry, I'm good, and there's no fear, but more pent up frustration re. this repeat issue of mentally ill killings on the TTC. I live and travel in the city fine.

It's just my rant against a transit and health system that seems to ignore safety and prevention in the name of economics.

Last edited:
Really interesting - my experience in the UK is that manufacturers of buses/trains now see long-term maintenance contracts as another source of income. Without naming a particular rolling stock manufacturer, having a much lower purchase price but linking the price to a maintenance contract that will deliver their actual profit...
A similar approach to the car industry - they want you to visit the BMW service centre every time your car needs a service!
To a degree, this is and has been the case here too for a long, long time.

Bombardier held the maintenance contract for GO Transit going back to the middle 1990s, and operating contract since 2007. And there's lots of examples elsewhere in North America where Siemens, Alstom and others have done the same.

Dan

This decision seems in line with decades of similar decisions, and keeps Canadians safe, by keeping him incarcerated much longer if he s still a danger to society.

I'm not sure why some seem more interested in vengeance than the safety of Canadians.

The death rate from cycling and cars is much higher than the death rate from riding the TTC.

There's no need to be frightened.
When cycling or driving you have some control over what's going on. On the TTC you're basically hoping someone will step in

Not a surprise that the union is pushing back on this.
Yeah the arms industry has been doing this for a long time as well.

There are public transit systems in the US run by outside companies for both operation and maintenance along the line of YRT. The length of the contract various from system to system with some changing hands for various reason from time to time.

It is common in Europe that cities hire firms to run their transit system fully or part of it than run themselves. There are cites that run their own system and others who do some and contract the rest out.

As noted, even the railway contract out the operation of the system as a whole or have 2 different one running the system while another does the maintenance with contracts ranging 5-30 years. A few of those long contract have been broken for one reason or another by both sides. There are some system fully run by themselves. EU countries must open their system to independent RR and complete with everyone

The goal of ML since 2007 was to have different operators operating various lines of various systems in the GTA from a single route to X size, but not for the full system. Going cross boarder was the first step for TTC, that takes place in the surrounding area today let alone for decades, along with transferring freely from one system to another for decades until this year when TTC was finally became part of it.

The province has the power to create transit systems and to dissolve them just like cities.

Back