News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

?

I am not aware of the phrase "neoliberal" being in any way partisan. I think it is well established by my posting history here that I'm a pretty left-leaning guy. Reducing infrastructure upkeep and generally promoting austerity is one of the hallmarks of neoliberalism.

A prominent factor in the rise of conservative and right-libertarian organizations, political parties, and think tanks, and predominantly advocated by them,[24][25] neoliberalism is often associated with policies of economic liberalization, including privatization, deregulation, globalization, free trade, monetarism, austerity, and reductions in government spending in order to increase the role of the private sector in the economy and society.[26][27][28][29][30] The neoliberal project is also focused on designing institutions and is political in character rather than only economic.[31][32][33][34]

Don't blame me, I didn't coin the term...

Last edited:
This is a really tiresome thing to keep hearing about. Everywhere you look these days it seems there's some infrastructure that is wildly behind on maintenance. Transit, roads, bridges, it seems to be the same story everywhere. At this point I would be more surprised to hear about some country where neoliberal rot hasn't extended to critical infrastructure.
Laughing at "these days". Infrastructure gets old and media produce panic stories about it. This is a 1990's Global News special. Children watch and declare it's the fault of The Rich. Old people watch and declare "nothing was ever broken in my day." Both are wrong.

Also, Steve is getting much more histrionic in his golden years.

Laughing at "these days". Infrastructure gets old and media produce panic stories about it. This is a 1990's Global News special. Children watch and declare it's the fault of The Rich. Old people watch and declare "nothing was ever broken in my day." Both are wrong.

Also, Steve is getting much more histrionic in his golden years.
Yes, of course infrastructure gets old and wears out. But what is being done about it? Considering what shut down the SRT, and the litany of slow orders that were "discovered" on the subway in the wake of that incident, why should we believe that those in charge have got it all under control? If they had things under control, I would think the SRT would not have shut down in the spectacular way that it did (derailments not being standard practice), and all the slow orders on the subway would have been taken care of long before it got to the point where trains had to run at reduced speeds in the first place.

You say it's not the fault of the Rich (of course, I never laid this result at the feet of the rich generally, but specifically at neoliberal politics that promote austerity). Who's fault is it, then? Please explain at length your theory. What I see is that public institutions like the TTC are routinely, and chronically, underfunded. Did we think nothing was going to happen as a consequence? That without the proper funding we'd be able to keep up proper maintenance standards? What are they supposed to deliver with resources being cut back?

You say it's not the fault of the Rich (of course, I never laid this result at the feet of the rich generally, but specifically at neoliberal politics that promote austerity). Who's fault is it, then? Please explain at length your theory. What I see is that public institutions like the TTC are routinely, and chronically, underfunded. Did we think nothing was going to happen as a consequence? That without the proper funding we'd be able to keep up proper maintenance standards? What are they supposed to deliver with resources being cut back?
The public routinely votes against taxes, or policies that would increase taxes. We are at fault, both for not critically thinking, and rewarding politicians who cater to that.

FWIW, I think that our path is unsunstainable: we want to have American-level/style taxation with European-level services in a low-growth, uninnovative economy. That’s…not going to work, and clearly hasn’t been working for a while. I think that later generations (Millenials onwards - and I say this as the oldest part of that cohort) are going to have to take massive service and benefit cuts along with increased taxes to pay off our current mistakes.

The public routinely votes against taxes, or policies that would increase taxes. We are at fault, both for not critically thinking, and rewarding politicians who cater to that.

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. When did the public last have a credible choice that argued for a tax increase in order to balance a budget or invest in a key project or service?

If the public vote Option A or B, and neither are providing the above option, I'm not sure that's on the voting public.

One could argue for 'Option C', but at the Federal level in particular, they only really briefly contended once and have never held power. I think the media helped form a narrative around a 'Star' team red player with some charisma who ended up coalescing the anti-incumbent vote.

Provincially, Option C is only now recovering from a very unfortunate term in office 30 years ago, that wasn't entirely their fault (they inherited an economic mess).........but they wore it.

FWIW, I think that our path is unsunstainable: we want to have American-level/style taxation with European-level services in a low-growth, uninnovative economy.

What citizenry wouldn't like to have their cake and eat it too? Most people know that doesn't work, and Olivia Chow got elected clearly indicating that taxes would have to rise to reinvest in the City.

I think a credible leader and party that can tie a tax increase to an outcome can win on that.

But it has to be the right increase and the right outcome.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that's entirely fair. When did the public last have a credible choice that argued for a tax increase in order to balance a budget or invest in a key project or service?

I seem to recall Kathleen Wynne declaring the need for an "Adult Discussion" about taxes. Her government foundered for other reasons, which placed this comment in the "not credible" category. But it was appropriate.

What citizenry wouldn't like to have their cake and eat it too? Most people know that doesn't work, and Olivia Chow got elected clearly indicating that taxes would have to rise to reinvest in the City.

I think a credible leader and party that can tie a tax increase to an outcome can win on that.

But it has to be the right increase and the right outcome.

And the right context around that.

At the moment we have attack ads declaring that Bonnie Crombie is "expensive". I despise attack ads, and that may actually be what decides my personal vote....but.... if one were to add up the unnecessary and ill advised "expenses" incurred by Doug Ford, the numbers would likely say that his government is the expensive one. How well Crombie's party can marshall that argument and get it out in a compelling manner - or even do they want to go that route - remains to be seen. The facts are often less compelling than how the story is told, unfortunately.

- Paul

If we look at Ontario alone, Bonnie Crombie and the OLP’s messaging has shifted to a low/no-increase tax policy. Saying you’ll raise taxes is not a vote seller for a majority of the population, and, frankly - people don’t believe that their money will be well-spent.

I also have to say that it’s hard for someone in the private sector to be supportive of pay increases for government employees paid for by their taxes while businesses are going with no, or far-below-inflation increases. This may be illogical, but it is a factor.

I think the real test will be when Olivia Chow has to make back-to-back eye-popping increases to increase service and cut the SOGR gap. I think many people are hoping this was a one-and-done. The mood will be very different when there’s a sequence of big increases in a bad economy. Her best best is to hope that the economy has recovered by the time she heads to the polls again.

You know, I appreciate ya @allengeorge but your cynicism is really on a whole other level.

I mean @Amare used to be chief cynic here at UT. But he actually believes good things happen.......they just happen late, over budget, with a bit of grift involved, and some short-sighted VE'ing.

You, LOL, seem to sincerely believe the apocalypse is nigh we ought to give up all hope if we ever had any to begin with, because nothing good will ever happen again.

Do you think maybe you could moderate just a bit? If not, I think you're going to have to be in charge of the revolution that overthrows the entire social order, its one or the other.

TTC announces return of streetcar service on St. Clair Avenue

June 14, 2024

The TTC is returning streetcar service along St Clair Ave. following major infrastructure upgrades, including the modernization of overhead power along the streetcar right-of-way. From Sun., Jun. 23, 512 St Clair streetcars will resume service between St Clair Station and Gunns’ Loop, weeks ahead of schedule.

“I am incredibly grateful that the TTC has completed its work on this busy stretch of St. Clair Avenue ahead of schedule, and that riders of the St. Clair streetcar can look forward to safe and reliable service for years to come,” said Mayor Olivia Chow. “It is always a challenge when construction disrupts our daily commutes, but thanks to the dedication and hard work of the TTC crews and engineers, streetcar service will resume in time for summer.”

“I am thrilled that the streetcar infrastructure upgrades on St. Clair Avenue have been completed ahead of schedule thanks to the hard work of our dedicated TTC crews,” said TTC Chair Jamaal Myers. “TTC customers deserve a safe and reliable service they can depend on, and these upgrades play a vital role in achieving that goal. The resumption of streetcars on St. Clair Avenue will be welcome news to the thousands of riders who rely on this route every day.”

“We are grateful for the patience and understanding shown by our customers, residents, and businesses as we carried out this critical work to upgrade our streetcar infrastructure on St. Clair Avenue, which will deliver reliable service for years to come,” said TTC CEO Rick Leary. “Our focus is now on completing streetcar track replacement and structural work inside St Clair West Station. We are optimistic about reopening that loop by the end of this year, further enhancing the efficiency and accessibility of the TTC network in the area.”

Commencing last September, overhead work was coordinated with construction inside St Clair West Station, track and concrete repairs at various locations along the corridor, and major infrastructure works by Metrolinx, City of Toronto, and Toronto Water in the area.

TTC work included:

• Repairs and improvements to power infrastructure, including modernization of the overhead power network along the streetcar right-of-way, and at streetcar loops along the route.

• Rebuilding overhead power systems at intersections with St Clair Ave. at Lansdowne Ave., Oakwood Ave., Vaughan Rd., and Bathurst St.

• Track renewal at streetcar stops at Bathurst St. and Earlscourt Ave. to replace aging rails.

• Track lubricator improvements at Earlscourt and Oakwood loops to minimise streetcar noise.

Until work at St Clair West Station is completed later this year, 512 St Clair streetcars will serve the station on-street. Customers transferring from the subway, Line 1 Yonge-University, will be able to board streetcars at stops near St Clair West Station located at Bathurst St. and Tweedsmuir Ave.

If we look at Ontario alone, Bonnie Crombie and the OLP’s messaging has shifted to a low/no-increase tax policy.

I have yet to hear a post-leadership race bit of Team Red messaging, and I'm rather attuned to such things. I suspect they are testing out different messages at this stage.

Saying you’ll raise taxes is not a vote seller for a majority of the population,

IF it buys people something they want, I will differ. (obviously within limits)

and, frankly - people don’t believe that their money will be well-spent.

They have reason to be skeptical. Its on the leaders and parties to make a credible case, including identifying areas where government could be more efficient, with clear evidence and actionable items that they will deliver. Its also on same to make a specific case about what any additional tax revenue will be used for, with a fully costed accounting.

I also have to say that it’s hard for someone in the private sector to be supportive of pay increases for government employees paid for by their taxes while businesses are going with no, or far-below-inflation increases. This may be illogical, but it is a factor.

You and I have discussed business culture here. That too is a problem. You don't win customers and business by under-investing in plant and/or people.

I think the real test will be when Olivia Chow has to make back-to-back eye-popping increases to increase service and cut the SOGR gap. I think many people are hoping this was a one-and-done. The mood will be very different when there’s a sequence of big increases in a bad economy. Her best best is to hope that the economy has recovered by the time she heads to the polls again.

I think there is one more large increase coming (next year) and one additional tax (either stormwater or parking), then that's it, in all liklihood.

The key to how that is received will be service outcomes. The expanded library hours, more year-round washrooms in parks, more reliable and more frequent TTC service etc. If Olivia can't deliver that by Sept '25........she doesn't deserve another go round.

Last edited:
I think some blame can be allocated to the public for being duped by populist politicians, or for being selfish and greedy, but surely the bulk of the blame should be laid at the feet of those who do the things themselves, no? I would find a politician who defended their slashing of public services hiding behind the excuse of "It's not my fault, I was elected with a mandate to do it" to be a pretty weak line of defence.

"Neoliberal rot"?......

Pretty low bar for debate when you reduce to that level..

For every neoliberal government ignoring infrastructure upkeep (while spending excessively on other things) there is a neoconservative government ignoring infrastructure upkeep (usually in the name of lower taxation).

The problem is nothing to do with anyone's political philosophy. It's about not wanting to allocate money to unsexy necessities when there are other things that may generate more glory.

- Paul
Spot on, this sounds exactly like the drivel I was hearing in university years ago.

I think the populous is equally guilty. Nobody cares or pays attention to what’s going on.

Both people I know when it comes to voting don’t look up a platform or anything. They just go off how they feel the person who is the face, would be like.

FWIW, I think that our path is unsunstainable: we want to have American-level/style taxation with European-level services in a low-growth, uninnovative economy. That’s…not going to work, and clearly hasn’t been working for a while. I think that later generations (Millenials onwards - and I say this as the oldest part of that cohort) are going to have to take massive service and benefit cuts along with increased taxes to pay off our current mistakes.

Unless we seriously tax generational asset wealth and crack down on tax sheltering.

AoD

Back