News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

To elaborate, he hasn't actually started yet............he was hired to be the Chief Strategy and Customer Officer effective July 15, 2024.

More poking and I've got two more keen observers also placing bets on Josh............... hmmmm. Would not be my first choice.
Wouldn't be my last choice either.

At least he actually lives in TO, and as far as I know uses transit at least some of the time.

And we know he isn't afraid of appearing and taking in public.

And he's well aware of the politics.

Maybe I’m being optimistic, but I hope the TTC poaches someone internationally. Or we get the return of Adam Giambrone.

Not out the question

That's my beef with the TTC.

They think local on the basis we are a world class city with world class people.

If the TTC wants to excel they need the best of the best, not the best available in the GTA.

Was Andy Byford 'local'? How about David Gunn? Two of the last five or 40% CEOs (previously 'General Managers) were international imports.

They were, admittedly the best two we've had in a very long time.

But I think that's a higher rate of international recruiting that most City agencies/depts.

For further clarity, the decision on how widely to search for a new CEO will come directly from the Mayor's office.

Last edited:
Hallelujah!

Getting back from work to read this fantastic news of Leary hitting the door is Christmas in summer. It's about time the clown who helped degrade the TTC to the mess that it's devolved into is finally gone.

Now hopefully the city has learned their lesson from selecting bottom of the barrel scrap heap, with beyond questionable and concerning employment records as CEO of an organization.

Leave the city Rick, and dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Hallelujah!

Getting back from work to read this fantastic news of Leary hitting the door is Christmas in summer. It's about time the clown who helped degrade the TTC to the mess that it's devolved into is finally gone.

Now hopefully the city has learned their lesson from selecting bottom of the barrel scrap heap, with beyond questionable and concerning employment records as CEO of an organization.

Leave the city Rick, and dont let the door hit you on the way out.
The city did not originally hired Rich, as it was Andy who brought him in as his COO and may had some input for becoming CEO after he left TTC.

Not that easy for some to come over here as they have to think of their family first, what happens after their time is up at TTC and dealing with the city.

The city did not originally hired Rich, as it was Andy who brought him in as his COO and may had some input for becoming CEO after he left TTC.

Not that easy for some to come over here as they have to think of their family first, what happens after their time is up at TTC and dealing with the city.
Yes i'm aware. The TTC board appointed him as CEO, but let's not forget who the mayor was at the time of the appointment.

Jamaal does not look impressed with the resignation speech!

1718939543855.png

Paired with “I was also in charge of the Capital State of Good Repair program to address the replacement and upgrades of track, power, facilities and vehicles.” I can’t help but laugh.

Personally, I can't imagine how difficult that task must be as they only receive enough money from the city to repair about half the things on the list. How do you choose which half of the soon-to-be-broken things to repair? SRT components definitely were not at the top of the list.

Personally, I can't imagine how difficult that task must be as they only receive enough money from the city to repair about half the things on the list. How do you choose which half of the soon-to-be-broken things to repair? SRT components definitely were not at the top of the list.

I think there would be a couple of counter arguments to that.

1) Stand up to the politicians and tell them they can't have the 'nice to haves' because you have to ensure safety and that is your highest priority.

2) If you go and read the investigative reports into what happened with the SRT, its clear that many people performing the inspection of track/systems did not know what to look for (loose bolt on reaction rail) and didn't understand the relative importance when they did find it, not catergorizing it as the highest priority of repair.

Steve Munro listed off the issues from the reports in a post here:

From that post:

1718971579947.png

None of the above are really 'insufficient budget to replace a bolt'.

Last edited:
So, now that we have done a little venting, what's the balanced view? Leary's top five successes? His top five failures?

- Paul

So, now that we have done a little venting, what's the balanced view? Leary's top five successes? His top five failures?

- Paul
+ve - his part in not letting the TTC completely collapse in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Not solely his responsibility I'm sure, but certainly a challenging time to run a transit organisation.
-ve - Poor communication from the top of the organisation - the radio silence about the ATC mishap, as one example.

Personally, any googling of Leary before hiring him would have shown some scarlet red flags - to quote Steve Munro:

Back