News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

This is a perfect world scenario where everything is on time and there are no delays.

This works fine for office staff but the head of an organization like the TTC cannot be late for work because of a transit delay. You can't postpone a meeting with the premier, city councilors or the mayor just because GO trains are not running.

Ummm, you do realize he had a choice where to buy or rent a home. He's is/was a rather well paid guy 360k last year.

Andy Byford lived in the City and didn't own a car. I'm not sure why someone should be cut a break for choosing to buy a home that far from work.

Fair point .

It may have something to do with his previous employment. That being said, I agree.

Ummm, you do realize he had a choice where to buy or rent a home. He's is/was a rather well paid guy 360k last year.

Andy Byford lived in the City and didn't own a car. I'm not sure why someone should be cut a break for choosing to buy a home that far from work.

On the other side of the argument, I will not accept 1hr 15m as a reasonable commute time. I know too many people do spend that long getting to/from work, but that's 2.5 hours of one's day on top of the 8-hour or more work day. Hard pass.

Rick should still take it on the chin though for a host of reasons, but in this context for where he chose to live.
Out of all the legitimate reasons to give the guy crap we choose this?

This is a perfect world scenario where everything is on time and there are no delays.

This works fine for office staff but the head of an organization like the TTC cannot be late for work because of a transit delay. You can't postpone a meeting with the premier, city councilors or the mayor just because GO trains are not running.
But it's ok to postpone a meeting if there's an accident on the road or his car breaks down?

Out of all the legitimate reasons to give the guy crap we choose this?
Did you read the whole thread? It’s just another thing to put on the shit pile.

Me personally, I think the head of the TTC should use it regularly. It was very obvious how disconnected Leary was from the user (and employee) experience.

But it's ok to postpone a meeting if there's an accident on the road or his car breaks down?
Did you read the whole thread? It’s just another thing to put on the shit pile.

Me personally, I think the head of the TTC should use it regularly. It was very obvious how disconnected Leary was from the user (and employee) experience.
We all loved Andy, but I don’t think riding it every day would help with the main issues that are in the TTC.

Yes, I’ve read the thread and many complaints are legitimate so why make up reasons to add to the pitchforks? The problem to me seems to be lack of direction, and basically no oversight when it comes to maintenance. Things are done just because and the people who do ask questions questions don’t seem to care about the things that are most important!

We all loved Andy, but I don’t think riding it every day would help with the main issues that are in the TTC.

Yes, I’ve read the thread and many complaints are legitimate so why make up reasons to add to the pitchforks? The problem to me seems to be lack of direction, and basically no oversight when it comes to maintenance. Things are done just because and the people who do ask questions questions don’t seem to care about the things that are most important!
What are you even trying to say here? Just looks like you got offended by someone calling out the CEO of a transit agency for not using transit.

Using the system everyday is an excellent way for the head of an organization to get an on the ground view of the system - both as an end user and as someone that can gauge their staff. It can also build staff morale as well. The same goes with our commissioners.

AoD

I would also like to include in the negative list that Leary is also to be blamed for bungling the future order of trains for the Bloor Danforth Line. His indecisiveness on ordering new trains in favour of rebuilding the existing T1s thus effecting upgrading to ATC signalling has left the line in limbo.

Wouldn't it? I should think that would be the number 1 way to get insights into issues plaguing the TTC. Imagine if he had to sit through the slow order north of Bloor-Yonge every day, or had to wait 40 minutes for 5 buses to show up back to pack. You think that that shit wouldn't have gotten looked at real quick? But I doubt very much he was even aware of such problems existing.

Rick Leary was like most CEOs (with all respect to those who are not) - an opportunistic decoration that was quite content to make a whole bunch of money that he didn't deserve and meet with other important people who also make a whole bunch of money that they don't deserve while the organization floundered and both clientele and employees suffered for it. That being said, I shall reserve any judgements about whether the TTC is about to get better until we see who they end up appointing in his stead. For all we know we might end up with someone even worse. Sometimes, it's better the devil you know...

Wouldn't it? I should think that would be the number 1 way to get insights into issues plaguing the TTC. Imagine if he had to sit through the slow order north of Bloor-Yonge every day, or had to wait 40 minutes for 5 buses to show up back to pack. You think that that shit wouldn't have gotten looked at real quick? But I doubt very much he was even aware of such problems existing.
That's exactly it.

Leary is virtually clueless as to the operational issues which plague the TTC. If he actually used the system (even once a week) there's no way he wouldnt have a list of literally 100+ issues that would need to be addressed and rectified. A lot of riders could probably point out more issues around the system than he could.

Simply put, he doesnt take an active interest in addressing the day to day issues that the system faces and if you dont know what in the hell things are like at ground level as a leader in the company that you operate, then you have no business being someone to lead a massive organization.

There's a lot of us on this board that could do a better job at running the TTC than Leary ever could. He is and will always be one of the worst CEOs in recent memory.

On the other side of the argument, I will not accept 1hr 15m as a reasonable commute time. I know too many people do spend that long getting to/from work, but that's 2.5 hours of one's day on top of the 8-hour or more work day. Hard pass.
75 minutes? That's about 10 minutes slower than driving. And the bum could actually do some work at the same time.

There's no way the city should be paying people that much money, who hate the city so much that they won't live there.

Rick Leary was like most CEOs (with all respect to those who are not) - an opportunistic decoration that was quite content to make a whole bunch of money that he didn't deserve and meet with other important people who also make a whole bunch of money that they don't deserve while the organization floundered and both clientele and employees suffered for it. That being said, I shall reserve any judgements about whether the TTC is about to get better until we see who they end up appointing in his stead. For all we know we might end up with someone even worse. Sometimes, it's better the devil you know...
Telling y'all someone here feels the need to defend anyone with a car who lives in the suburbs.

That's exactly it.

Leary is virtually clueless as to the operational issues which plague the TTC. If he actually used the system (even once a week) there's no way he wouldnt have a list of literally 100+ issues that would need to be addressed and rectified. A lot of riders could probably point out more issues around the system than he could.

Simply put, he doesnt take an active interest in addressing the day to day issues that the system faces and if you dont know what in the hell things are like at ground level as a leader in the company that you operate, then you have no business being someone to lead a massive organization.

There's a lot of us on this board that could do a better job at running the TTC than Leary ever could. He is and will always be one of the worst CEOs in recent memory.
I hate the guy and he’s a coward for resigning from Boston when a fatal accident happened, but like I said, I feel that all the serious issues are structural. Yeah, it would be nice to have somebody who understands what the passengers are dealing with but things like seemingly no protocols over things like maintenance vehicle spills, Having inspections done by inexperienced staff (big part of what led to the RT derailment) cars being rented for 17 years straight etc are all issues where the CEO has to put the department managers feet to the fire.

Back