News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The historical GM bus rebuild was done in spite of Leary, not because of him.

The cost to rent a TTC vehicle has skyrocketed far, far higher than inflation under his watch, so he's of no use to foamers, either.

Dan
If I were TTC CEO, the cost of bus hire would be fair and reasonable (I had one to transport my wedding party from Lawrence-Yonge to Sunnybrook Estates - sadly the latter is no longer open)

On the other hand, foamers would dislike me intensely for many other reasons - but Halton’s not so far to go see a Peter Witt, right?

Steve Munro's take on Leary's departure is up on his site.

Its about what you'd expect, and not all unfair in saying (my paraphrase) long overdue and good riddance.

Imagine if Toronto had a head of a transit agency who would regularly have meetings with a counterpart agency and could ask questions like “hey, when is Caledonia GO happening/why hasn’t it happened yet? Is there anything my agency could do to grease the skids?”
As a former public servant, accountability is basically 0 so a lot of that wouldn't be possible. You can't even really blame 1 person since that's not now decisions are made sadly. Hence nobody cares about things outside their silo

Question for everyone as I need opinions.

Just now I got off the 504 at Broadview Station and was stopped by a supervisor exiting via the streetcar platform onto Erindale.

His issue was that I didn't have permission to exit via the bus bays and had to leave via the station exits.

A moment earlier he let a mother and child exit via the streetcar platform without saying a word to them.

I then suggested that if I was doing something illegal he should call TPS. I then continued on my way and exited via the streetcar platform onto Erindale.

At no time was I trying to enter without paying in fact I was departing the station after having paid my fare on the streetcar.

Who was in the wrong here?

Just now I got off the 504 at Broadview Station and was stopped by a supervisor exiting via the streetcar platform onto Erindale.

His issue was that I didn't have permission to exit via the bus bays and had to leave via the station exits.

A moment earlier he let a mother and child exit via the streetcar platform without saying a word to them.

I then suggested that if I was doing something illegal he should call TPS. I then continued on my way and exited via the streetcar platform onto Erindale.

At no time was I trying to enter without paying in fact I was departing the station after having paid my fare on the streetcar.

For safety's sake I'd always just use the proper exit. As a driver or pedestrian #1 is to be predictable, so avoid places they don't expect people.

On this point, the Supervisor is correct.

TTC By-Law number 1 can be found here:

From the above:

1719267680053.png

On this point he was incorrect. It is a basic tenet of rule/by-law/law enforcement be consistent and even-handed. That does not mean exceptions can't be made, but there should be some sort of logic to them.

1719267864670.png

For clarity, he could call for a TTC Special Constable rather than TPS to engage in enforcement action; however, a Supervisor themselves does not have the right to issue a ticket.

Both of you.

You broke the rule; but the Supervisor was willfully and immediately inconsistent in enforcing it, which, at this point may be a lost cause anyway because of how often it happens.

On this point, the Supervisor is correct.

TTC By-Law number 1 can be found here:
Technically I suppose, but given how frequently TTC staff break this rule - I've barely ever entered Coxwell station and not seen an operator do this - and there isn't even a walking path. At some stations there's literally a raised concrete path (albeit a bit narrow) that makes it 100% safe.

At Broadview particularly, if you walk off the (now) 505 platform, it's a very short distance to the sidewalk, and there's no way that a streetcar could touch you - nor a bus, as they stay further left. The only vehicle you'd interact with is the rare TTC car/truck using the spot between the buses and 505 for parking.

I had one TTC employee shouting at me for this once - I'd come in a bus and was at the very end of the platform, and late for a medical appointment. I didn't even look back. When I turned the corner onto Broadview I glanced back, and to my surprise he was actually chasing me down the Erindale sidewalk! I wish I saw such enthusiasm for stopping passengers walking IN. (though many I see do that - for example to catch the 506 at Main Street, before it departs) tap when they get on).

I had one TTC employee shouting at me for this once - I'd come in a bus and was at the very end of the platform, and late for a medical appointment. I didn't even look back. When I turned the corner onto Broadview I glanced back, and to my surprise he was actually chasing me down the Erindale sidewalk! I wish I saw such enthusiasm for stopping passengers walking IN. (though many I see do that - for example to catch the 506 at Main Street, before it departs) tap when they get on).
What a goofball. What was his plan for when he caught up with you? Or what if you had been disturbed and dangerous?

I am amused by all of these overzealous TTC employees who potentially put themselves in harm's way to enforce rules they have no authority to enforce. My favourite ones are the ones who see all those dam foamers taking pictures and "acting suspicious", so instead of calling them in and moving along, they confront them to their faces. Absolute geniuses. If foamers actually were dangerous these people would be screwed.

Last edited:

Back