News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I totally disagree. When you go out to places that still do enforce the fare, like York, you see the same surprising obedience as you used to see anywhere it was enforced. The major change as far as I can see, is the overly cautious safety culture that has overwhelmed many places. Remember when they took down the walk left, stand right signs - so that they wouldn't be endorsing the unsafe act of walking up an escalator?

I agree it's not a diversity issue - if anything the opposite, given that the homeless and addicts I encounter on the system are significantly more white (the same as me) than the general population.

It's a form of broken window theory - no visible sign of rule enforcement signal to would-be-violators that misbehaviour is perfectly acceptable.

Maybe I’m out of touch on this but the few times I’ve taken YRT I noticed the bus was a lot emptier even leaving from a subway station and the passengers were classier (kept to themselves, no music)

Feel like enforcing rules is easier when you have less problematic people? My partner and I always look at the viva stations along highway 7 and try to see if anyone is even there 😂

It's the burbs afterall - though the then inner city issues are starting to percolate to the 905.

AoD

Maybe I’m out of touch on this but the few times I’ve taken YRT I noticed the bus was a lot emptier even leaving from a subway station and the passengers were classier (kept to themselves, no music)

Feel like enforcing rules is easier when you have less problematic people? My partner and I always look at the viva stations along highway 7 and try to see if anyone is even there 😂
That's not my experience, when I was taking the YRT 24 Woodbine bus regularly (post-Covid). It's less crowded leaving the (Don Mills) subway, but typically crush loaded by Steeles (in AM peak). In PM peak, it's always leaving people behind if they don't run extra non-scheduled buses, north of Steeles. I've seen more passenger arguments (typically with each other) on that bus than any regular TTC route - with the possible exception to the 75 Sherbourne at Moss Park.

But if you don't pay - the bus isn't moving.

I miss the 75 since moving out west. Never a dull moment, and a great place to teach your kid about life and everything it entails.

There are no subway cars left to save except for the T1s
No subway cars left to save, period. I'd rather they save 5707 or one of the H4 work cars instead (there are streetcar work cars saved).
and considering how the feds are dragging their knuckles on providing money for replacement, I don't expect them to be gone any time soon
Looks like the feds are finally coming to their senses, so hopefully the T1s will be gone within the next 10 years.

Last edited:
Sadly the H6's in Turkey were retired
I know, but they're still in storage, possibly awaiting refurbishment for a possible future subway extension, and sometimes come out on special occasions, so I guess they intend to keep a few around as a historical fleet.

It's a form of broken window theory - no visible sign of rule enforcement signal to would-be-violators that misbehaviour is perfectly acceptable.

It's the burbs afterall - though the then inner city issues are starting to percolate to the 905.

AoD
Maybe it's all the 30+ year old international students but I notice Miway busses are pretty full so it's not all the burbs, it's also the only place someone tried to sell me their paper transfer (for $1) after they got off the bus LOL

Also apparently Zuuuuuum is at 130% of pre covid ridership.

Back