News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

The article linked says "TTC moving ahead with decision to scrap free public Wi-Fi"

At the bottom of the article is a correction;
“A previous version of this story, in text and video format, stated the TTC would continue offering free Wi-Fi in its subway stations. In fact, the TTC will still end that program at the end of 2024 as previously announced.
Sep 25, 2024 10:14 AM ET”

This is what passed at the board:
3. Direct staff to report back in December with cost benefit analysis of a pilot for free Wi-Fi on bus and streetcar platforms and bays at stations given that public Wi-Fi is both a safety and accessibility issue.

Such a waste of time for an organization that couldn't even keep their info-displays at subway stations from getting shrinkflated by their private sector partner.

AoD
Aye! Why is the TTC and the board wasting their time with this WiFi nonsense when there are so many bigger issues to deal with?

Aye! Why is the TTC and the board wasting their time with this WiFi nonsense when there are so many bigger issues to deal with?

1) You are aware there were lots of other items on the agenda, many of considerable importance. Not every single item a Board deals with will reach that threshold, that doesn't mean the rest is somehow being ignored.

Go have a look for yourself: (19 items worth)

2) What comes before the Board is largely determined by policy. For instance, budgets, major tenders, in theory, service standards.

One of the other determining factors is motions by members of the Commission. You will note that Item 18 saw Commissioner Matlow raise the issue of Wi-Fi.

Just an update on Warden Station..

I spoke with sources within the TTC who gave the following replies

WARDEN STATION PPUDO

Q: Any idea when this will reopen?

A: Still TBD until the PPUDO reopens for vehicle access. Vehicular access into the PPUDO will likely not be restored in 2024.

Q: It has been delayed for some time and I am curious when access via St Clair will be restored.

A: Pedestrian access via the north parking-lot bridge and PPUDO and St. Clair Ave. E. will be restored in mid-October. This will allow customers to be dropped-off in the north commuter-lot and use the bridge connection directly into the PPUDO walkway into the Station, saving time, providing a shorter walk into the Station. I look forward to sharing a date with the public shortly.

MODIFIED PEDESTRIAN ACCESS VIA BUS BAYS

Q: While walking through Warden Station recently, I noted that there is a new passageway from the Bus Bays to the Warden Avenue exit. I presume this means that the existing connection from the buses to the subway will be closed and taken out of the fare paid area? If that is the case, any idea when this may occur?

A: Correct. In early-2025, the existing bus terminal will be permanently shut down, and a temporary outdoor bus terminal will be made available in the former south commuter-lot. Access to and from the subway platforms to the bus platforms will change significantly with two access areas – we are still finalizing flow maps, but what will likely happen is one hallway for entry into the subway terminal, and one hallway for exit, and slight changes to the paid and unpaid areas. We will be making this information public in November/December 2024. The change is likely to occur in January/February 2025.

After this major staging change at Warden, the existing Station will be demolished and customer operations will remain as-is until the new bus terminal is constructed – currently tracking the end of 2027.

Depending on how heavily modified the second exit to the Kiss and Ride was, I wonder if they will use that as an entry/exit point to the buses and the current entrance as the sole exit from the street.

For those who may not be aware, there were originally two identical exits to and from the Kiss and Ride at Warden Station. One at the north end next to the current collector booth and one at the south end which has been closed since the late 1970s.

I wonder if we’ll be getting more fare gates inside the stations. The paid fare zones belong to the old system of transfers allowed only during one continuous trip. Now with the two-hour transfers, supposedly people should tap-on again every time they change between the subway and a surface vehicle, but almost no one does, particularly after getting off a bus in the paid fare zone and onto the subway because it would require ridiculously exiting and re-entering the station.

Now it’s possible you could get on a bus when your 2-hour transfer is a minute away from expiring, then continue the trip to the opposite corner of the city through the subway and another bus, maybe for well over another hour.

Last edited:
What would be achieved by doing that, apart from creating a whole heap of inconvenience and slowing people down needlessly?

I was muddling through the new TTC collective agreement (ratified earlier this year) recently.

Came across a few things that I don't recall being discussed in any detail:

These include the following:

1727546942040.png

I will stop here for a moment and ask @smallspy if he happens to know which two Board Periods are set to get the axe. I will also ask him to check his inbox.... LOL

Most of the general wage increases have been widely known.......but here a couple of sub-classes that got my attention:

1727547130652.png

What an odd bit of timing.......premiums for work starting at 1pm? I'm all for paying staff well, and I get the idea of shift premiums for late/overnight work...........

Sounds like CSAs got a substantial pay boost:

1727547201905.png

We knew this next bit, but worth reiterating:

1727547262274.png

Finally, some jobs contracted back-in:

1727547307365.png

Back