News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The cause is one thing - the question remains as to why a good chunk of the power supply for pretty much all transit lines in the core is routed through it.

AoD

simple no where else to put it. The TTC has several hydro vaults through out the city for traction power for both the streetcar and subway network. Don't for get Traction power and station power are different systems.

The top five TTC routes by total number of criminal and bylaw infractions from Jan. 1, 2010 to Aug. 10, 2015
  • 36 FINCH WEST
  • 35 JANE
  • 32 EGLINTON WEST
  • 41 KEELE
  • 52 LAWRENCE
Anyone who's taken any of these routes know that this doesnt come by surprise. Buses on these routes run through some of the most messed up areas of the city and have the most messed up customers.

When I read the headline on the news, these 4 out of the 5 routes here (asides from Keele) immediately popped up to mind.

These are raw numbers -- I'm curious as to what things would look like on a per-passenger basis.

These are raw numbers -- I'm curious as to what things would look like on a per-passenger basis.

I have no idea why they'd report raw numbers. It's a useless metric if you want to define how "safe" a route is. It's irresponsible reporting that works only to whip up hysteria.

Looking at the map adjusted for ridership, I don't see any obvious trends. The only thing that stands out to me are that the Eglinton and Lawrence East busses have a high incident rate, but very low assault rates. Indicates a high percentage of fare evasion on those routes.

The routes with the highest general incident and assault rates are:
Ossington: 79 incidents per 100,000 riders, 40% assault rates.

Yonge (bus): 52 incidents per 100,000, 37% of those assaults.

Finch East-Don Mills :41 incidents per rider, 38% assaults

Bloor: 37 per 100,000, 32 assault

Weston Rd: 41 incidents per 100,000, 21% of those assaults

Jane: 40 per 100,000, 22% assaults.

Last edited:
Fu
Anyone who's taken any of these routes know that this doesnt come by surprise.
Funny that the routes with the most passengers have the most assaults.

And the results look very different on a per passenger basis.

Anyone who has becomes used to prejudiced comments know that this doesnt come by surprise.

Anyone who's taken any of these routes know that this doesnt come by surprise. Buses on these routes run through some of the most messed up areas of the city and have the most messed up customers.

When I read the headline on the news, these 4 out of the 5 routes here (asides from Keele) immediately popped up to mind.

No. That's just you applying your prejudice. Adjusted for ridership, there's no obvious geographic trends.

Two things I find interesting about this data:

1. The lack of geographic trends once data is adjusted for ridership.

2. All of the bus routes with the highest incident rate per 100,000 are also among the most used routes in the system. This indicates that the more people using a service, the higher percentage chance that any one customer has of being involved in an altercation. Makes sense since more people in an area = more opportunities for conflict.

This could have some implications for transit planning, specifically regarding the capacity of routes. Planners at the TTC have casually observed that the incident rate on Yonge Line (assault, medical emergency, etc...) has gone up significantly as ridership has increased, which causes significant day to day fluctuations in capacity. This data on the incident rate on TTC bus routes collaborates with that observation.

What I'd like to see is the incident rate mapped against Yonge Line ridership, service reliability, and daily capacity. I suspect that we'll see some kind of exponential relationship between ridership, incident rate, reliability and daily capacity. The planning implications of this are, if my hypothesis is true, the actual capacity of the Yonge Line with ATO will be significantly lower than 36,000 pphpd, as the 36,000 pphpd estimation assumes 100% reliability. If service reliability and headway does decrease with higher ridership (due to higher incident rates), then actual capacity will be below 36,000.

I would say we could look at other jurisdictions, but the Yonge Line is the most used single-track metro service in North America, and potentially globally, so we really are in uncharged territory here.

I would say we could look at other jurisdictions, but the Yonge Line is the most used single-track metro service in North America, and potentially globally, so we really are in uncharged territory here.
Toronto's subway as a whole is ranked 4th in North America behind Montreal, Mexico City, and New York City in terms of boardings per mile (just ahead of Monterrey).

I'd be surprised if the Yonge line is ahead of any of the lines in those cities ... as only some of the New York lines have double tracks. Let alone the world, with cities like Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghi, Beijing, Moscow, London, etc., where again most of the lines are not double tracked.

Toronto's subway as a whole is ranked 4th in North America behind Montreal, Mexico City, and New York City in terms of boardings per mile (just ahead of Monterrey).

I'd be surprised if the Yonge line is ahead of any of the lines in those cities ... as only some of the New York lines have double tracks. Let alone the world, with cities like Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghi, Beijing, Moscow, London, etc., where again most of the lines are not double tracked.

The only line in North America that is busier (in terms of total passengers) is NYC's Lexinton Line, and that's has multiple tracks and services running through it. So Toronto is in a rather unique situation with how well used the Yonge Line is, and how having such a high quantity of people on one line can affect reliability.

Note that in the post you replied to, I say the Yonge Line is the busiest single track line (per direction) in NA, and likely the world (can't find any data for the latter)

But regardless of if the above is true or not, service reliability and capacity should be mapped against ridership to see if it will affect real world capacity of ATO

No. That's just you applying your prejudice. Adjusted for ridership, there's no obvious geographic trends.
My mistake I didnt know they were just raw numbers. The media likes to inflate things to make problems seem bigger then they actually are in certain cases.

Dont worry i'm part of a visible minority group myself so I know very well what prejudice statements are like.

The only line in North America that is busier (in terms of total passengers) is NYC's Lexinton Line, and that's has multiple tracks and services running through it. So Toronto is in a rather unique situation with how well used the Yonge Line is, and how having such a high quantity of people on one line can affect reliability.

Note that in the post you replied to, I say the Yonge Line is the busiest single track line (per direction) in NA, and likely the world (can't find any data for the latter)

But regardless of if the above is true or not, service reliability and capacity should be mapped against ridership to see if it will affect real world capacity of ATO
Not true for worldwide. The Yonge Line can't beat Asia. TRs are only 6 car long. In Hong Kong MTR they have 8 car trains with perimeter seating claiming to hold 2000 riders per train (up to 80000 pph) vs 1080 for TRs. Tokyo have longer 8 car trains too. Most Chinese cities like Beijing. Shanghai, Guangdong have similar Movia and other model 6-car trains like us.

Yonge might be the busiest line in NA but definitely no where near busiest in the world. Not even close especially without ATO where many 3-5 minute gaps exist in rush hour.

People in NA are more likely to be oversized with large bags too. Yonge line gets packed but Asian metros get even more sandwiched!

True, but offhand I can't think of any doubletrack line in many cities, other than New York, even cities where the subway as a whole has higher ridership - such as Montreal.

What's the Orange Line in Montreal?

upload_2016-3-8_21-8-53.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-8_21-8-53.png
    upload_2016-3-8_21-8-53.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 606

Back