News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Fraud, assault top list of crimes on TTC buses
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/03/08/fraud-assault-top-list-of-crimes-on-ttc-buses.html

The top five TTC routes by total number of criminal and bylaw infractions from Jan. 1, 2010 to Aug. 10, 2015
  • 36 FINCH WEST
  • 35 JANE
  • 32 EGLINTON WEST
  • 41 KEELE
  • 52 LAWRENCE

Here's the actual data on which routes are the most dangerous. This is sorted by assault rate per 100,000 riders (rate in brackets)

Most dangerous routes:
1. Ossington (31.6)
2. Yonge (19.2)
3. Finch-Don Mills (15.2)
4. Wilson (11.6)
5. Bloor (10)
6. Eglinton West (9.6)
7. Mt. Dennis (8.8)
8. Rogers Rd (8.6)
9. Jane (8)
10. Finch West (5.4)
11. Weston (5)
12. Dufferin (2)
13. Lawrence East (1.8)
14. Lawrence West (0)

So you're 6 x more likely to be assaulted on Ossington bus or 3.5 x more likely to be assaulted on Yonge bus than you are on the Finch West bus. I know that'll take a lot of people by surprise.

I don't remember if I posted this here before, but since it kinda came up:

TTC Nova Bus in LRV scheme
by Adrian Badaraco, on Flickr

I tweeted that pic to TTC design and they said the new design will reflect the new streetcars, so I would not be surprosed if the new design is something like that. As well, they are still working out roll out logistics, but all busses will be re-done.

I tweeted that pic to TTC design and they said the new design will reflect the new streetcars, so I would not be surprosed if the new design is something like that. As well, they are still working out roll out logistics, but all busses will be re-done.
That's interesting. I imagine it'll be like GO where new branding is applied during overhaul. Speaking of branding, it would be cool if new vehicles came with the same upholstery as the LFRVs. Adds a little bit of interest, consistency.

Both were excellent.
I wasn't a fan. Did I come up with anything better? Maybe not. I just wanted to see what a brushed aluminium finish on the SRT would look like...

Scarborough RT in subway scheme
by Adrian Badaraco, on Flickr

I can take the security data one of two ways. One is to conclude that incidents are random, and leave it at that. The other is to assume there are reasons, but the reasons aren't going to jump out at us from this presentation of the data.

There are huge confounds in the data. Lets's assume the area around intersection X really is a bad part of town. There may be 3 or 4 routes through that intersection. All the incidents that occur there will be distributed through these routes. Each individual route appears innocuous. Besides, incidents don't necessarily happen at the point people board. So attributing incidents to the area is a bit pointless.

The data also doesn't speak to time of day. One would assume that some types of incidents are more frequent after dark. You would expect all night routes to have more risks. Others may be tied to the bars closing, or to when school gets out, or after FC matches. @Tigermaster pointed to overcrowding as causing incidents.

From this data, we will never know. I suspect that student ridership is one source of incidents, because fare evasion is a rite of passage for high school, even if you have a pass in your pocket. And high scool students just get stupid in packs. Seeing Ossington in the data immediately made me think of CAMH, but that's likely my own little bit of stereotype. I would have thought of 501 as the mother of all troubled routes.

I would like to see GO's data beside these numbers. And Miway's.

- Paul

I'm not confident the TTC will cook up livery of any significant quality. They have no grasp of aesthetics, the new streetcars are decent but still very dull.

And don't forget the original choice of colour for the new streetcars either - it could have been even worse.

AoD

Back