News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Oh boy, looks like we'll be in for a fun ride with those. I'm assuming those wraps will be for the rocket routes?

Nope, the entire fleet. TTCDesign said the design of the new wraps will be informed by the theme of the new streetcars.

cool I wonder if they will redo the Streetcars as well?

Assuming you mean the old streetcars? I'd assume not. I doubt the TTC wants to put in any more money than they already are to to keep them running. It would be nice though if they did something for that "sign" (or whatever you call it) that tells you not to pass open doors, as it is comically bad and illegible.

This isnt making much sense at all if it's true. Why wrap all buses with a new livery instead of just painting them when it comes time for a rebuild?

To be honest I find the current paint job works great (except with the new Nova's, but that's mainly due to the fact that they're on oddly designed vehicle).

This isnt making much sense at all if it's true. Why wrap all buses with a new livery instead of just painting them when it comes time for a rebuild?

That is probably what they will do at least at the start, but the ultimate goal is to re-wrap/paint all vehicles. I believe Metrolinx has taken a similar approach when putting the new theme on busses/trains. Not like it will be done all at once.

To be honest I find the current paint job works great (except with the new Nova's, but that's mainly due to the fact that they're on oddly designed vehicle).
I think since the new Nova buses, most of the livery is decals—even the black. If they do a new livery it will probably be phased in on new vehicles and refurbs like with GO Transit.

March 27
At Russell Yard and more up on site
26087066506_28d3a5b259_h.jpg

26020470742_39283cb4e5_h.jpg

25508237314_b5d11d6f88_h.jpg

26046676231_70dfdf2208_h.jpg

26020372252_ff2bcfc318_h.jpg

25510272653_09f27ff98f_h.jpg

26086980136_aa96a5d8a1_h.jpg

26021084432_80681081a2_h.jpg

26087682696_be7166ded0_h.jpg

26021104632_1a513d772a_h.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpeg

King and Peter Streets and the 504 were an absolute disaster today due to the closing of the Charlotte Loop for reconstruction.

Does anyone know why there was a problem with the TTC track allowance here? It looked to be operating fine before this.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 381
View attachment 71226

King and Peter Streets and the 504 were an absolute disaster today due to the closing of the Charlotte Loop for reconstruction.

Does anyone know why there was a problem with the TTC track allowance here? It looked to be operating fine before this.
The whole area is due for rebuilt that has yet to be done. All the overhead is to be rebuilt to new standards at the same time. There still a number of areas system wide that still has tracks & switches that need replacing as well the overhead.

One hope Management will do this Russell setup at the end of May for Open Doors at the new Leslie Barns since the yard will still be very empty.

I wouldn't be surprise if TTC runs the new cars around the new yard on tour with the pans up. This would show the public what will be taking place by the end of the year for current lines that have the new cars.

Last edited:
...... I hope that the TTC runs the new cars around the new yard on tour with the pans up. This would show the public what will be taking place by the end of the year for current lines that have the new cars.
I think we need to remember that all most of "the public" cares about is that a streetcar or bus shows up when expected and they can squeeze on. Very few people care if they use poles, pans or ponies.

I think since the new Nova buses, most of the livery is decals—even the black. If they do a new livery it will probably be phased in on new vehicles and refurbs like with GO Transit.
Let's just hope the new livery will be Nova friendly, seeing as that's what we'll be stuck with for at least the next 14+ years and they'll most likely dominate the fleet in 5 years.

The whole area is due for rebuilt that has yet to be done. All the overhead is to be rebuilt to new standards at the same time. There still a number of areas system wide that still has tracks & switches that need replacing

To answer my question, is it the tracks and switches at this location that needed replacing?

And what is "track allowance", as indicated on the sign in the photo I posted?

To answer my question, is it the tracks and switches at this location that needed replacing?

And what is "track allowance", as indicated on the sign in the photo I posted?
"track allowance" is where TTC tracks and switches are.

The tracks and switches have reach their life cycle and due not only for replacement, but building the base to current standards like the rest of the system has seen the last 10 years.

All of Charlotte track and the section on Adelaide up to the Spadina Ave will be replace as well after King intersection is done. Spadina switch and some of Adelaide tracks were replace a few years ago. That is why there is a April 23rd completion date with King being done by April 10.

All the overhead will be replace with new OS, so pans can be use on all of it. One Section on King St stopping the use of pans.

So I'm a little puzzled as to the new TTC switch standards. It seems that every single time a streetcar approaches special work, it comes to a complete stop prior to rolling through the switch. I don't recall this happening a couple years ago. It's especially annoying on Spadina as practically half the intersections seem to be special work. Are the new switches unreliable? Badly built? Something else?

So I'm a little puzzled as to the new TTC switch standards. It seems that every single time a streetcar approaches special work, it comes to a complete stop prior to rolling through the switch. I don't recall this happening a couple years ago. It's especially annoying on Spadina as practically half the intersections seem to be special work. Are the new switches unreliable? Badly built? Something else?

This is a rule that has been in place for almost 15 years, and stems from a series of accidents where cars running at high speed went through switches that were lined for the diverging route.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the track work itself.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back