News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

They stop abruptly and open the doors.....at TTC stops. It's not so hard to anticipate where those might be.

- Paul

They stop abruptly and open the doors.....at TTC stops. It's not so hard to anticipate where those might be.

- Paul

The key words, at TTC stops, means: slow down and be prepared to stop. It's called "defensive driving".

GraphicMatt12:18pm via Echofon
Driver who hit girl getting off streetcar urges TTC to remind riders to pay attention. cbc.ca/news/canada/to…

The driver is an idiot, it's really as simple as that.

As a driver you should be able to anticipate when a streetcar is going to stop, and when the doors are about to open. Before opening his mouth the next time, he should take his own advice because it would've been useful for him.

I always check before exiting streetcars, and have taught my kids to do the same. Although the law requires drivers to stop, there's no reason to be dead right. This driver is clearly in the wrong (with a bad attitude to boot), but he has a point about riders taking a second to ensure their own safety.
And most riders do.

But sometime, a car is quite far back (like 50 metres behind the car), and the streetcars have stopped, the doors are open, and you step into the road. But the car, still well behind, keeps on coming. So you jump back, as it zooms past the fully open doors. Not everyone is going to jump fast enough, is someone has completely failed to see the streetcar, or the person standing in the middle of the road.

If you read his "apology" he notes that he hadn't even seen the streetcar at all - let alone that it was stopping. I just can't comprehend that. I've gotten messed up at doors once or twice, because I thought they'd already picked up passengers, and hadn't noticed they'd re-opened, as I was trying to navigate everything (but I still stopped in time, when a pedestrian stepped off the curve - who I thought was waiting to cross the street). But to not have seen the streetcar at all?

Hopefully his licencse is suspended for many years.

Reactions: PL1
what Chinese has built in the recent two decades. Wish the next two decades
Decades, as in plural???!
Surely you jest. You surely mean a single decade. ;)

January 2004:

image.jpeg

And now today:

image.png

(Credit: Wikipedia)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 430
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 382
Last edited:
To be fair, a comparison to Toronto.

Here is TTC 2004:

image.gif

And TTC 2016:

image.jpeg

Just a freakin' bus added. A good addition, but, literally... where is the expansion??
China has added another digit to their number of stations, but we own only that digit (Say it after me: "zeeee-ROHHH!!!")

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    69.7 KB · Views: 465
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 391
And here's Beijing's 2021:

image.png

(Credit: Wikipedia)

At best, this is TTC 2021(ish).

image.jpeg

(Give or take a bunch of political changes, of course.)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 612
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 496
What environmental assessments, building codes, workplace rules, etc. does China have versus Canada? Just get rid of them, and we'll be building away and forget about the lives that ended to make it happen.

What environmental assessments, building codes, workplace rules, etc. does China have versus Canada? Just get rid of them, and we'll be building away and forget about the lives that ended to make it happen.
Forget that, what kind of public participation process, and land acquisition process.

You can't compare a strong democracy to a brutal communist military dictatorship.

Just a freakin' bus added. A good addition, but, literally... where is the expansion??
Well to be fair, the bus already was in existence in 2004. So essentially, nothing has been added to the system since the opening of the Sheppard line in 2002.

the two things I hate; people who compare Toronto to countries with much different Standards (i.e. China, India, Brazil, etc.), and people who compare Toronto to mega cities like New York, London, or Paris.

Let's compare Toronto to Barcelona, Berlin,or Madrid, all cities with comparable population and you will find how we are really doing :)

the two things I hate; people who compare Toronto to countries with much different Standards (i.e. China, India, Brazil, etc.), and people who compare Toronto to mega cities like New York, London, or Paris.

Let's compare Toronto to Barcelona, Berlin,or Madrid, all cities with comparable population and you will find how we are really doing :)

Exactly. Even if you do want to compare us to London or New York how many large expansions haver they had recently? London has added some spots to the DLR but it's using existing railway tracks, they are adding some new tunnels for crossrail which will be done sometime after the eglinton crosstown line.

Rejhon, you need to stop breathing in the shitty air and clear your head if you honestly think that Beijing should be compared to Toronto.

Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 9.20.05 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 9.20.05 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-04-02 at 9.20.05 PM.png
    505.8 KB · Views: 570

Even that is quite questionable, given differences in land usage. A city with twice the area and same population as Toronto probably wouldn't need a subway, whereas a city with the same population but half the area would need a rather substantial system.

Back