News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

They do that though, so that they don't have to place signs at every single traffic light. If they were really concerned about safety, they'd do both.

I always thought a swing-out stop sign (similar to what school busses have) would be very effective. People outside of Toronto are very familiar with them so they could be very effective. Trying to find the little red light is difficult for a newcomer...or even knowing what it means.

I would suggest a police nail strip that rolls out with the ramp...it would effectively slow down both bikes and cars. But it may be too difficult to engineer the automatic rolling back into the car. :)

Old tiles at King Station:

king1.jpg
king2.jpg

Attachments

• king1.jpg
    king1.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 419
  • king2.jpg
    king2.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 392
I always thought a swing-out stop sign (similar to what school busses have) would be very effective. People outside of Toronto are very familiar with them so they could be very effective. Trying to find the little red light is difficult for a newcomer...or even knowing what it means....

Actually, motorists ignore the school bus stop signs regularly.

Actually, motorists ignore the school bus stop signs regularly.
That's not here though. The penalty there (in British Columbia) for doing this is only $167 and 3 demerit points - the same no matter how many times you do it . That less than many speeding offences.

Ontario is 6 demerit points and a $400 to $2000 fine. The second offence is $1000 to $4000, six more demerit points (so loss of licence) and up to 6 months in jail.

I don't see this happening as often in Toronto.

That's not here though. The penalty there (in British Columbia) for doing this is only $167 and 3 demerit points - the same no matter how many times you do it . That less than many speeding offences.

Ontario is 6 demerit points and a $400 to $2000 fine. The second offence is $1000 to $4000, six more demerit points (so loss of licence) and up to 6 months in jail.

I don't see this happening as often in Toronto.

I'm a school bus driver. It happens all the time in Toronto, every day almost. Especially from drivers going in the opposite direction than you. They just don't stop when the STOP sign is out and the red overhead lights are flashing. In other words, there's never a police officer when you need one.

I have noticed it a bit more recently - but there's so few school buses around here, and they mostly stop on narrow streets

Is it getting worse?

I'm surprised that anyone would risk 6 demerit points - that would really hurt your insurance quickly.

If there are traffic lights, school buses are not to use their red flashing lights and stop arm within 60 metres of those traffic lights. Maybe that is why you don't notice them on the main arterial roads. However, beyond 60 metres they do use them, and both directions have to stop. (60 metres is about two of the new streetcars in length.)

I'm a school bus driver. It happens all the time in Toronto, every day almost. Especially from drivers going in the opposite direction than you. They just don't stop when the STOP sign is out and the red overhead lights are flashing. In other words, there's never a police officer when you need one.

Some kind of bus mounted "red light" camera would be nice for busses and streetcars.

Crazy that people haven't learned.

But I still contend that this would give the out-of-towners a helping hand with streetcar stops. Visitors have a greater likelihood of seeing a school bus stop sign before and being taught to look for them. When I have friends visiting who are driving (and insist on not using transit) I always have to show them where to look on a streetcar...it's not intuitive at all.

It would be fairly inexpensive (30+ years ago they modified all school busses with the swing-out stop sign so it's a fairly easy retrofit). And even if it saves one life it is worth it.

I've noticed though, that the flashing lights don't seem to start until a couple of seconds after the vehicle comes to a complete stop. That might stop a car taking out someone disembarking, however doesn't help with those who think it's okay to race past the streetcar before the doors open.

I've noticed though, that the flashing lights don't seem to start until a couple of seconds after the vehicle comes to a complete stop. That might stop a car taking out someone disembarking, however doesn't help with those who think it's okay to race past the streetcar before the doors open.

They start before the doors open. In fact, when the doors are in "enable" mode (passengers push the button to open them) the lights are on anyways (though the door strips are obviously hidden, the body-mounted ones and the do not pass sign on the rear are visible). It also takes a second or two for the flexity's doors to open.

Also, on the driver's dashboard there's a "do not pass" button...I'm assuming that independently activates at least the do not pass light and maybe even the side ones on the body, regardless of the door status? If so, that's good, as the driver can hit it while still slowing down. Picture attached--sorry, I don't have the time to find a higher-res version/not sure if there are any, but I'm certain that's what the button says from in-person memory:

urbantoronto-10074-35851.jpg

Attachments

• urbantoronto-10074-35851.jpg
    urbantoronto-10074-35851.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 693
TTC and Metrolinx to hold joint board meeting
The two agencies will sit down together for the first time at the end of the month.

See link.

The TTC and Metrolinx will finally sit down to a historic joint board meeting at the end of the month — a practice the chair of the TTC says should be at least an annual event.
The two transit agencies will meet the evening of April 27 in the Metrolinx board office at Union Station. The agenda is still being decided. It will be posted before the meeting, which will be open to the public.

"Because of the multitude of projects where we're intersecting — Presto, the Crosstown, fare integration — we need to hear each other's perspectives a little more formally and I thought this is a good way to do that," said Councillor Josh Colle, the TTC chair.

The meeting comes after much discussion about the need for more TTC involvement in the planning of regional transit. Colle, Mayor John Tory, and TTC CEO Andy Byford have already attended the Metrolinx board and senior Metrolinx officials have visited with the TTC board.

"I would like it to become somewhat regular. At the very least we should do this annually. Depending on how productive it seems we could then do more," said Colle.

But there are some logistical issues. There's no framework for TTC board members to make motions at a Metrolinx board meeting, for example.

Colle agrees with former TTC chair Karen Stintz that there should be some elected Toronto representatives on the Metrolinx board, which is appointed by the province from the public, private and non-profit sectors.

"I think if this also triggers some of that discussion too that's not a bad thing," he said.

TTC vice-chair Alan Heisey, an appointed citizen member of that board, has pushed for the city to recommend cross-board appointments for the two agencies. But this week he said he didn't know if that TTC recommendation had gone anywhere at council.

Back