News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Amazing to see how things have changed. In 1986 the TTC was the best public transit systems in North America; fast forward 30 years later and you put it on a list of one of the worst in North America.

Actually the system is already rotting at that point - it was complacent, lax in safety standards and suffers from decaying infrastructure (that got covered up by bravado). All it got was bragging rights handed down from previous decades. I look back at the 80s as a period where the leaders have abrogated their responsibilities and became pigs.

Like what substantial transit improvement was initiated during the 80s? Network 2011?

AoD

Last edited:
Amazing to see how things have changed. In 1986 the TTC was the best public transit systems in North America; fast forward 30 years later and you put it on a list of one of the worst in North America.

Now now........lets not exaggerate on the downside.

The TTC has many issues.

It certainly suffers from overcrowding, many of its older stations are overdue for their first reno, or to get their first reno fixed.......

There could be better amenities, particularly retail; and innovation is a tad pokey.

All that said..........anyone who has traveled around North America should be able to tell you the TTC is probably still the best overall system out there.

I'd accept Montreal as being in the running, but that's about it.

Nowhere else outside of NYC has even remotely comparable service levels. Sure LA has prettier stations, but a subway outside rush hour can be a 20min. wait. Ridership volumes there are so low
that almost no subway would ever have been built by Toronto standards.

NYC while much improved in terms of cleanliness and reduced graffiti continues to have stations that are, for the most part, barely above open sewer in appearance, style or condition. (or smell).

Many of NYCs signally systems are older than Toronto's, few stations are accessible and transfers to surface routes far less comfortable.

None of that is to excuse the TTCs many shortcomings, but worst in North America? Hardly.

they got rid of them because a few of the engines caught fire. The no CNG signs are in aras where they can't go because the exhaust system was higher up on the roof of the bus.

Seriously, where do you find this garbage?

The actual reason why they were retired was because they were more maintenance intensive than diesel buses, plus the fact that the fuel cylinders are only certifiable for 12 or 15 years - whereas they were trying to get the bus to last 20. It didn't make sense to invest in new cylinders for a bus that was only going to last a couple of years longer.

The "No CNG" signs were placed at locations where there was either a low overhang that could contact the fuel cylinders on the roof, or a station that didn't have a venting system capable of safely venting the lighter-than-air gas in the event of a release.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Now now........lets not exaggerate on the downside.

The TTC has many issues.

It certainly suffers from overcrowding, many of its older stations are overdue for their first reno, or to get their first reno fixed.......

There could be better amenities, particularly retail; and innovation is a tad pokey.

All that said..........anyone who has traveled around North America should be able to tell you the TTC is probably still the best overall system out there.

I'd accept Montreal as being in the running, but that's about it.

Nowhere else outside of NYC has even remotely comparable service levels. Sure LA has prettier stations, but a subway outside rush hour can be a 20min. wait. Ridership volumes there are so low that almost no subway would ever have been built by Toronto standards.

NYC while much improved in terms of cleanliness and reduced graffiti continues to have stations that are, for the most part, barely above open sewer in appearance, style or condition. (or smell).

Many of NYCs signally systems are older than Toronto's, few stations are accessible and transfers to surface routes far less comfortable.

None of that is to excuse the TTCs many shortcomings, but worst in North America? Hardly.

I can always count on you to provide a factual and detailed response to anybody's nonsense. Amare also doesn't appreciate that Toronto has an excellent grid of frequent bus routes that reach all parts of the city and provide good connections to the subway. Or that transit officials from American cities have met with Andy Byford to learn how we operate the largest streetcar network in North America, as they try to build their own systems from scratch. Or that Walk Score has ranked TTC best in Canada and 3rd best in N.A based on types of service (light/heavy rail, buses), transit coverage, and frequency of routes.

So to say that TTC is the worst in N.A is to imply that Houston, Denver, Boston, Atlanta, Winnipeg, Phoenix, Baltimore, and Buffalo transit are all superior to Toronto. Give me a break.

Here are a few more scans. The first 2 are the rest of the "how to ride" instructions there is also the glossary and an example of the page layouts. I scanned the whole thing, but as a PDF it is too big to upload, I could just go ahead and put every image in as a thumbnail but I don't know if its poor forum etiquette to be spamming a thread with 20 large sized photos?

TTC 17.jpeg TTC 18.jpeg TTC 01.jpeg TTC 06.jpeg

Attachments

• TTC 17.jpeg
    TTC 17.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 291
  • TTC 18.jpeg
    TTC 18.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 339
  • TTC 01.jpeg
    TTC 01.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 308
  • TTC 06.jpeg
    TTC 06.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 291
Here are a few more scans. The first 2 are the rest of the "how to ride" instructions there is also the glossary and an example of the page layouts. I scanned the whole thing, but as a PDF it is too big to upload, I could just go ahead and put every image in as a thumbnail but I don't know if its poor forum etiquette to be spamming a thread with 20 large sized photos?

You are doing fine - attaching them the way you just did instead of pasting directly into your post also helps.

MoD

Ok, here is the first part:
TTC 00.jpeg TTC 01.jpeg TTC 02.jpeg TTC 03.jpeg TTC 04.jpeg TTC 05.jpeg TTC 06.jpeg TTC 07.jpeg TTC 08.jpeg TTC 09.jpeg TTC 10.jpeg TTC 11.jpeg TTC 12.jpeg TTC 13.jpeg TTC 14.jpeg

Attachments

• TTC 00.jpeg
    TTC 00.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 338
  • TTC 01.jpeg
    TTC 01.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 315
  • TTC 02.jpeg
    TTC 02.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 310
  • TTC 03.jpeg
    TTC 03.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 320
  • TTC 04.jpeg
    TTC 04.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 308
  • TTC 05.jpeg
    TTC 05.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 330
  • TTC 06.jpeg
    TTC 06.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 311
  • TTC 07.jpeg
    TTC 07.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 318
  • TTC 08.jpeg
    TTC 08.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 318
  • TTC 09.jpeg
    TTC 09.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 320
  • TTC 10.jpeg
    TTC 10.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 312
  • TTC 11.jpeg
    TTC 11.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 295
  • TTC 12.jpeg
    TTC 12.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 298
  • TTC 13.jpeg
    TTC 13.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 308
  • TTC 14.jpeg
    TTC 14.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 286
Great scans! Some lovely photos in there, I really miss the punchy colours and wide dynamic range that you could get with film that's missing with digital.

From Thursday, Sept. 8 to Sunday, Sept. 11, King Street West, from Peter St. to University Ave. will be closed to all traffic... again.

See link to the Metro News website.

That closure includes the streetcars. Why? Turn Peter Street to University Avenue into a transit mall. Let only the streetcars through. They can roll at a walking pace, which will still be faster than detours.

tiff_routediversions.gif

See link to the TTC website.

Why can't Toronto experiment?
Angers-Light-Rail-Shared-Space.jpg

Because the anti-transit bureaucrats said so.

Back