News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

From Thursday, Sept. 8 to Sunday, Sept. 11, King Street West, from Peter St. to University Ave. will be closed to all traffic... again.

tiff_routediversions.gif

I can't for the life of me figure out this diversion map.

I can't for the life of me figure out this diversion map.

Yeah, it doesn't actually explain it on the map. (You have the read all the specifics to understand)

But, this is how I read it:
514 on diversion, westbound via York-Queen-Spadina, eastbound via Spadina-Queen-Church
504 split into two parts, west leg at Spadina, east leg at Church-Wellington-York.
The blue route is the 304 night streetcar, following the same route as the 514 diversion.
Black route is the 504 supplementary buses, diverting between Spadina and University via Richmond/Adelaide
Grey route is 304 night bus replacement, running between Spadina and Parliament via Richmond/Adelaide and University

On another note...the l and I in the diversion map are really thick for some reason. Which bugs me a little.

I thought the TTC had told Tiff that last year would be the last time they would divert streetcars for it I think they should just tell them that Streetcars will be on King and to live with it.

Amare also doesn't appreciate that Toronto has an excellent grid of frequent bus routes that reach all parts of the city and provide good connections to the subway. Or that transit officials from American cities have met with Andy Byford to learn how we operate the largest streetcar network in North America, as they try to build their own systems from scratch. Or that Walk Score has ranked TTC best in Canada and 3rd best in N.A based on types of service (light/heavy rail, buses), transit coverage, and frequency of routes.

So to say that TTC is the worst in N.A is to imply that Houston, Denver, Boston, Atlanta, Winnipeg, Phoenix, Baltimore, and Buffalo transit are all superior to Toronto. Give me a break.

It's not that I dont appreciate it, it's that I dont accept how we've sat on our hands for the past 30 years while other systems have been expanding. The system has largely stayed unchanged (asides from the Sheppard subway extension, Downsview subway extension, and Harbourfront streetcar opening) for the last 30 years. Asides from the Spadina extension and Eglinton Crosstown line, we really dont have any concrete expansions on the table.

The grid system of bus routes has been in place for decades now, the streetcar network hasnt expanded for years and has a reduced fleet compared to the 80's (although this is finally being addressed in some ways with the increased capacity), and the subway system is overloaded. Our Walk Score would probably still be in the top 10 if we used the TTC's 1990's system map and that's in large part due to how the system was planned out in the past and how the city has densified around transit hubs. Many American cities are getting their act together after years (or in some cases decades of neglect), while the TTC is going through neglect.

I thought the TTC had told Tiff that last year would be the last time they would divert streetcars for it I think they should just tell them that Streetcars will be on King and to live with it.
Where do you get the idea that TTC gets to dictate street closures? The crazy part of this is that 501 is also diverting right now so Spadina is going to be completely borked. But the Mayor's sister is on the TIFF board so we dare not question the importance of this massive tug the forelock exercise to American actors and executives.

I was biking along Richmond the other days, and saw where they were replacing some track, and I had the thought that it would be great if they put in working one-way track on Richmond and Adelaide between Bathurst and Parliament. Put in stops at major intersections that say "service during diversion only" or something like that. Would be a great diversionary route for any issues on King or Queen, and perfect in this instance for TIFF.

I was biking along Richmond the other days, and saw where they were replacing some track, and I had the thought that it would be great if they put in working one-way track on Richmond and Adelaide between Bathurst and Parliament. Put in stops at major intersections that say "service during diversion only" or something like that. Would be a great diversionary route for any issues on King or Queen, and perfect in this instance for TIFF.
The westbound (only) streetcar track on Richmond is being replaced at the moment. It runs from Church to York. The eastbound (only) track on Adelaide between Charlotte and Victoria has not been operational for several decades - it remains on the TTC plans to be replaced but I doubt it ever will be. I agree with you that having both these tracks running from at least Spadina to Church would be great for diversions, extra service and flexibility but I doubt it will happen due to $$$

The westbound (only) streetcar track on Richmond is being replaced at the moment. It runs from Church to York. The eastbound (only) track on Adelaide between Charlotte and Victoria has not been operational for several decades - it remains on the TTC plans to be replaced but I doubt it ever will be. I agree with you that having both these tracks running from at least Spadina to Church would be great for diversions, extra service and flexibility but I doubt it will happen due to $$$

The fact they did not add any curves or special work when rebuilding the York/Adelaide intersection is basically an admission they have given up on ever using Adelaide again.

Mayor John Tory turns up heat on the TTC over subway AC

The fact that John Tory ignored this for months, and is now just calling for the ac to be fixed at the beginning of September (end of summer) enrages me. Seriously, screw this guy.

John Tory has found the one person who will fix the AC problem on the Line 1 subway trains, and very cheaply as well.

6mvVaNQs.jpg

Too bad it's all a fairy tale to the rest of us who actually use the TTC on a regular basis.

And let's not forget that Tory voted against preventative maintenance on the subway. I am so, so sick of this guy's pandering.

TTC is already the most efficient large transit system in North America, and also the least subsidized. Therefore it needs more cuts, according to John Tory. He thinks it will eliminate waste that doesn't exist, when in reality it has immediate impacts like overcrowding, slower than normal maintenance, or more serious consequences. Cuts to the TTC maintenance budget directly contributed to the fatal Russell Hill crash, just like how Walkerton was caused by cuts to proper oversight functions.

JohnTory has no concept of the complexity of the work in fixing the air conditions, nor does he understand how staff cuts limited what could be done about it. He will demand further cuts, then chastise TTC staff about service and maintenance that they are unable to provide thanks to his previous cuts. As always, no matter which budget it is, the Conservatives who propose the cuts refuse to accept responsibility for the consequences, and blame others. Every time.

Last edited:

Back