News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

TTC is already the most efficient large transit system in North America, and also the least subsidized. Therefore it needs more cuts, according to John Tory. He thinks it will eliminate waste that doesn't exist, when in reality it has immediate impacts like overcrowding, slower than normal maintenance, or more serious consequences. Cuts to the TTC maintenance budget directly contributed to the fatal Russell Hill crash, just like how Walkerton was caused by cuts to proper oversight functions.

JohnTory has no concept of the complexity of the work in fixing the air conditions, nor does he understand how staff cuts limited what could be done about it. He will demand further cuts, then chastise TTC staff about service and maintenance that they are unable to provide thanks to his previous cuts. As always, the Conservatives who propose the cuts refuse to accept responsibility for the consequences, and blame others. Every time.
This sums up John Tory's total stupidity about transit quite well; one might add that he also seems unaware that, though the City certainly does provide funding, the TTC is run by a Board (including many Councillors) and it might be better to let THEM deal with the day-to-day stuff. Of course, the Board is quite dysfunctional too and their Budget Committee has not yet met this year. Bottom line: if you cut budgets, force them to transport people aged less than 13 free, impose street closures (King & TIFF) that impose extra costs and make totally unreasonable demands to 'find savings' you are going to get a transit system that will simply seize-up.

It's like ignoring the annual maintenance of your furnace, because the fees are just a waste of money, and the furnace will never break down. Don't need house insurance, because you don't smoke so there will never be a fire. Don't replace the shingles that are blowing off your roof, because it was replaced 20 years ago, but the lowest bidder at the time said it would be good for 30 years.

All of that costs money but has to be spent to keep it in good condition. Preferably, not with the lowest bidder.

Last edited:
This TTC new release looks like something that came out of the mayor's office.

Screen shot 2016-08-30 at 7.31.54 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-08-30 at 7.31.54 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-08-30 at 7.31.54 PM.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 846
What a load of crap. If you ride the 504 daily, you know that Spadina/King is already a grid-locked mess with cars heading south regularly blocking the east-west traffic for multiple traffic light cycles in a row. No police enforcement and lengthy delays for drivers and commuters alike.

This TIFF thing is going to be a mess as it was the last two years. Only this year we have the added fun of the Flexity 510 cars trying to enter service somehow from Leslie Barns. And the 501 already clogging up Kng and Spadina thanks to a construction diversion.

Tory talks a good game on transit and keeping Toronto moving, but when his media buddies come calling, it's screw all that and let's close King St. for a few days because it's TIFF.

This TIFF thing is going to be a mess as it was the last two years. Only this year we have the added fun of the Flexity 510 cars trying to enter service somehow from Leslie Barns. And the 501 already clogging up Kng and Spadina thanks to a construction diversion.

Yep, it'll be a mess but if it has to be done, I'd like to see TTC consider splitting King into 2 routes:

* West King can divert south on Spadina to Union via Queens Quay. Queens Quay isn't great but it's gotta be better than Queen.
* East King can do a small loop through downtown via Wellington (similar to 503).

The rare person that wants to take King through downtown can hop out at Wellington & Bay and catch the second half at Queens Quay station (or vice-versa).

When it comes to traffic and transit, Tory has absolutely no idea what he is doing. That's a fact that most of us here have realized, but try explaining that to the other ~70% of people who support him.

His solution to traffic issues to date have been: impounding cars parked illegally downtown, re-signaling traffic lights, and paid duty officers at major intersections. I think those "solutions" are exactly what he's planning to implement for TIFF because in reality, who needs the 501 and 504.

Honestly who's supplying Tory with all his pixie dust?

The westbound (only) streetcar track on Richmond is being replaced at the moment. It runs from Church to York. The eastbound (only) track on Adelaide between Charlotte and Victoria has not been operational for several decades - it remains on the TTC plans to be replaced but I doubt it ever will be. I agree with you that having both these tracks running from at least Spadina to Church would be great for diversions, extra service and flexibility but I doubt it will happen due to $$$

My main man Justin to the rescue. Just say it - I think I can. I think I can.

When it comes to traffic and transit, Tory has absolutely no idea what he is doing. That's a fact that most of us here have realized, but try explaining that to the other ~70% of people who support him.

His solution to traffic issues to date have been: impounding cars parked illegally downtown, re-signaling traffic lights, and paid duty officers at major intersections. I think those "solutions" are exactly what he's planning to implement for TIFF because in reality, who needs the 501 and 504.

Honestly who's supplying Tory with all his pixie dust?

In any city with a robust news media, everything from SmartTrack, to Scarborough Subway cost overruns, to broken A/C units, to TIFF would've been huge controversies. But Tory is masterful at eloquently spreading his bull crap, and the media and broader public are all too complicit in eating and regurgitating it. I can only hope that in 2018 we'll have a mayoral candidate that can effectively communicate Tory's terrible record, because the media sure as hell won't do it.

In any city with a robust news media, everything from SmartTrack, to Scarborough Subway cost overruns, to broken A/C units, to TIFF would've been huge controversies. But Tory is masterful at eloquently spreading his bull crap, and the media and broader public are all too complicit in eating and regurgitating it. I can only hope that in 2018 we'll have a mayoral candidate that can effectively communicate Tory's terrible record, because the media sure as hell won't do it.
I always had reservations about Tory but he was clearly the best candidate who could actually win in 2014 so I voted for him. Our problem was (and is) that Tory was clearly the best candidate who might actually win the 2014 election so he got all (or most) of the anti-Ford Nation votes. In 2018 we REALLY need a better candidate that 'reasonable voters' (yes, that's me!) can coalesce around but unfortunately we will probably again have 2 or 3 possibilities. I certainly do not want to vote for Tory again but ...

I always had reservations about Tory but he was clearly the best candidate who could actually win in 2014 so I voted for him. Our problem was (and is) that Tory was clearly the best candidate who might actually win the 2014 election so he got all (or most) of the anti-Ford Nation votes. In 2018 we REALLY need a better candidate that 'reasonable voters' (yes, that's me!) can coalesce around but unfortunately we will probably again have 2 or 3 possibilities. I certainly do not want to vote for Tory again but ...

David Soknacki!!!

David Soknacki!!!
I was willing to vote whoever will scrap the Scarborough Subway, AND, scrap the on street LRT. Then bring in the connected SRT-Eglinton Crosstown.

Sadly, Soknacki did not want to solve the transit logjam.

JohnTory has no concept of the complexity of the work in fixing the air conditions, nor does he understand how staff cuts limited what could be done about it. He will demand further cuts, then chastise TTC staff about service and maintenance that they are unable to provide thanks to his previous cuts. As always, no matter which budget it is, the Conservatives who propose the cuts refuse to accept responsibility for the consequences, and blame others. Every time.

Yes, since the TTC has so many technicians just sitting around on their ass doing nothing (all that waste that he's looking for) that can just put down whatever they're doing and fix broken AC units. The HVAC systems require dedicated or at least specially trained techs, and if the units are broken down beyond economical repair, they'll likely need to put out a tender to either replace them or replace specific components. Sure, all that can be done over few weeks.

Back