News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

David Miller used to use the subway all the time when he was mayor. I think people even got a few pictures of him with large checks from presentations well he was heading back to city hall.

Is this when David Miller needed a photo op? I thought he bought a Prius and had multiple drivers on standby

Is this when David Miller needed a photo op? I thought he bought a Prius and had multiple drivers on standby

Actually nope, I saw him on the subway by himself more than once before, and it wasn't after losing a vote. I've also seen him talking from an event back to City Hall with an aide, and it wasn't one happening across the street at Sheraton. Berate his politics if you will, he certainly practiced what he preached with regards to using transit.

AoD

Rob Ford only rides on the TTC when he lost a vote about the TTC, for a photo op. From link.

1327720864518_ORIGINAL.jpg

(...)
Great map! But it's still theoretical at this point. We might as well also be posting the fantasy map of the new head of Projet Montreal (main opposition party)

1305641-coeur-plan-valerie-plante-matiere.jpg

The REM isn't theoretical, the Caisse (CDPQ) has 400 professionals working on the project right now, and Champlain bridge and autoroute 15 are being re-built taking the REM's presence into consideration. This project will get done.

The pînk line is a fantasy at this point, though.

The REM isn't theoretical, the Caisse (CDPQ) has 400 professionals working on the project right now, and Champlain bridge and autoroute 15 are being re-built taking the REM's presence into consideration. This project will get done.
Only about 50 years after they first proposed parts of the corridor, for then then Line 3.

I wouldn't ever say "will" in Quebec. Look at those overpasses on what is now Avenue Souligny - they were so old before they were ever used, they had to rehab them first!

Rob Ford only rides on the TTC when he lost a vote about the TTC, for a photo op. From link.

He left a sour taste with me too, but he's gone. Let's look to the future and not return there. Ford, Brexit and Trumpism are all the same things. I think the best way to convert people from transit skeptics to transit users is to build it, and stop debating it.

There will be no perfect plan. And perfect is the enemy of good.

If only the proposed City Council members for the TTC board would actually use the TTC.

I would accept one of these people, if they lived here in Toronto. From link.

Well, at least John Tory does.

It's too bad we live in an age when so many politicians have let us down. We are skeptical about all of them. But then we don't trust them to raise taxes and build things we need - like transit in this city. It's a very vicious circle.

John Tory is a genuine and good man. Anyone here can be displeased about his policies. But he is not an under-educated clown like Rob Ford. Or a self-aggrandizing smarty-pants like David Miller. Or an underwhelming public speaker like Barbara Hall. Or an enthusiastic, but well out of his zone of competence leader like Mel Lastman. He may be the most qualified person to lead the city in a generation.

He has had the courage to suggest raising taxes. I would think that the rarefied crowd here would be ebullient.

John Tory is a genuine and good man. Anyone here can be displeased about his policies. But he is not an under-educated clown like Rob Ford. Or a self-aggrandizing smarty-pants like David Miller. Or an underwhelming public speaker like Barbara Hall. Or an enthusiastic, but well out of his zone of competence leader like Mel Lastman. He may be the most qualified person to lead the city in a generation.

He has had the courage to suggest raising taxes. I would think that the rarefied crowd here would be ebullient.
He proposed raising tolls not to fix our existing deficits, but because he hitched himself to the Gardiner which has now blown a huge budget hole. He ended up implementing Olivia Chow's transit idea which he rubbished while refusing to hear criticism of his own SmartTrack idea, notably the bit concerning Eglinton West. Now budgets are being slashed to meet an arbitrary cap on property tax increases.

But he is a good public speaker so that makes the Kool Aid easier to swallow?

John Tory is a genuine and good man.

John Tory is genuine? Really? He comes across as one of the least genuine politicians I know.

And its comical to suggest the man who conned Torontonians with SmartTrack, even when professionals were telling Tory it would never work, could possibly be "genuine".

It's too bad we live in an age when so many politicians have let us down.

Yeah... just like how Mr. Tory promises 60 km of "surface subways" and never delivered on that promise. He's letting us down just like the rest of them.

John Tory has only one good trait: he is charismatic. He only says things that make his citizens happy and often brush off criticism of his policies.

Otherwise, his head is above the clouds like the top of the CN Tower.

Last edited:
In a more perfect world, Byford would quit his useless apologies and put blame on the foot of Toronto Mayor John Tory.

I would put the blame on budget cuts, cuts, and more cuts during both Mayor Rob Ford AND Mayor John Tory's budget cutting regimes. Don't replace that expensive rusty cover, it might last the winter, unless it does rust through and we'll have an even more expensive situation.

Back