News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Seems like some people may be ok with getting to work three hours late a few times a month, in order to save $10 a month in a property tax increase...

I'd love to see someone run on a platform of raising taxes by $0.10/day to be get people home 30 mins earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if people valued their $0.10 more than their time

We get the system we pay for. Bad maintenance is what causes electrical fires after a relatively small snow storm. The entire system was crippled.

What bugs me the most is that the TTC still can't use the switches it rebuilt in recent years. If power is off at Union, why can't trains turn back at St. Andrew and Queen. Disabling service all the way up to Bloor is awful. Also, for operations, why in the heck don't they use both platforms at Bloor in such situations. Let one train onto southbound platform to unload and another train northbound to unload and load. The empty train from south track can head north empty and pick up passengers. Having to use only one track at Bloor creates a huge bottleneck and cripples the entire line up to Finch. In such scenarios it's ok to have every other train pick up passengers at Bloor. It's about the same time as the current process takes. The benefit is that passengers can be unloaded faster.

So the first day of real winter and TTC already gotten kneecapped:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...vice-suspended-between-bloor-and-osgoode.html

Those apologies are getting rather tiresome.

re: JT

He is charismatic? He is about as interesting as cardboard - which isn't a bad thing given our interesting our last mayor was.

AoD
Not just subway service was suspended between Bloor and Osgoode, Toronto Fire was summoned at St. George, Rosedale, and Davisville Stations as well! At the same time! A quadruple whammy!

It was my first day at my new job a few steps from St. Andrew Station. I decided to walk from St. Patrick station to my workplace, since the train operator told me that it would be faster for me to walk (and he was right). I was no doubt exhausted. Usually, I would be 15 minutes early, but I became 30 minutes late instead. Good thing my employer was flexible enough to shift the hours to accommodate Tory's mishandling of the subway system.

Not just subway service was suspended between Bloor and Osgoode, Toronto Fire was summoned at St. George, Rosedale, and Davisville Stations as well! At the same time!

It was my first day at my new job a few steps from St. Andrew Station. I decided to walk from St. Patrick station to my workplace, since the train operator told me that it would be faster for me to walk (and he was right). I was no doubt exhausted. Good thing my employer was flexible enough to shift the hours to accommodate Tory's mishandling of the subway system.

Apparently it is the first time Toronto has snowfall. Just what are the learnings from previous line-wide TTC mishaps? What's the backup plan? How did they turn out? All the apologies meant nothing if they default to the same old, we're so sorry. You aren't sorry enough, for one.

Things can't be anticipated - like how 20% of T1 AC failed this summer and then Brad Ross have to talk about it as completely unforeseen (then went into how the subway fuzz causes it - not like subway fuzz is a new thing, right?)

AoD

Last edited:
Not just subway service was suspended between Bloor and Osgoode, Toronto Fire was summoned at St. George, Rosedale, and Davisville Stations as well! At the same time!

It was my first day at my new job a few steps from St. Andrew Station. I decided to walk from St. Patrick station to my workplace, since the train operator told me that it would be faster for me to walk (and he was right). I was no doubt exhausted. Good thing my employer was flexible enough to shift the hours to accommodate Tory's mishandling of the subway system.
I'm not rely sure how the mayor is resposable for a cable catching fire because of arching from melting snow on it but yeah sure blame him for it if you like. This is just one of those things that happens and there can't be anyone to blame for it.

I tweeted to complain about the street steps such as at King station being a death trap when it snows. And it lead to the management of that station being told about it.

I tweeted to complain about the street steps such as at King station being a death trap when it snows. And it lead to the management of that station being told about it.

I am not even sure why the management need to be told by the public - the stations have managers and staff - didn't any of them notice that issue ever and reported it upwards (never mind that it isn't the first time in years that there was snow in Toronto)? Like broken, inaudible PAs, offline Presto machines, readers, etc - there are basic issues that should be noticed and passed on for action if there is a culture of reporting issues as everyone's responsibility.

Case in point - there was an instance of the platform video screens being completely off for multiple days at Yonge-Bloor a short while ago - and it was noticeable during the morning rush. A zillion workers would have seen that issue (because the lord knows, there are a zillion staff at Yonge even before the real rush 7:30 onward) - why wasn't anything done until it was reported by the public?

AoD

Last edited:
The problem is that the majority of TTC funds goes to pay overly high salaries of drivers and not enough money poured towards maintenance. That's why we have electrical fires every few months and no AC in summer.

The problem is that the majority of TTC funds goes to pay overly high salaries of drivers and not enough money poured towards maintenance. That's why we have electrical fires every few months and no AC in summer.

Money sure is an issue, but I am not going to let anyone off the hook - organizational culture also need to be looked at.

AoD

I am not even sure why the management need to be told by the public

Indeed--those stairs at King have been a death trap for as long as I can remember! Anyone who's used the station in heavy rain, but mainly any time in winter with any snow or slush around, should be familiar with that. They're just learning it now?! 504 is the busiest surface route in the city, and I'm pretty sure a very significant percentage of that ridership transfers at King. If they can't figure that out...

In the long run, we should be planning for platform screens. Expensive, I know. But it will solve a lot of problems. From track fires to suicides to accidental falls on track.

Indeed--those stairs at King have been a death trap for as long as I can remember! Anyone who's used the station in heavy rain, but mainly any time in winter with any snow or slush around, should be familiar with that. They're just learning it now?! 504 is the busiest surface route in the city, and I'm pretty sure a very significant percentage of that ridership transfers at King. If they can't figure that out...

They still want a union member to shovel the snow versus installing heating coils to melt the snow. In the long term it saves on insurance and labour costs (but a initial capital outlay). But union employment trumps safety of passengers.

They still want a union member to shovel the snow versus installing heating coils to melt the snow. In the long term it saves on insurance and labour costs (but a initial capital outlay). But union employment trumps safety of passengers.

Heating coils might be overkill - just build an enclosed shelter atop the open entrance and put in non-slip tiles would be sufficient. This stuff truly isn't rocket science.

AoD

Back