News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I did not say they could not pour concrete at -25 but it DOES cost more and if there is no immediate need to have the concrete poured then it makes sense to wait. The TTC are certainly not perfect but MOST of their surface track replacement contracts seem to be done within schedule.
You also won't obtain the same strength. Which is fine if you've designed for that, or budgeted to use a more expensive concrete with more strength.

And working in the cold get's more expensive for obvious reasons. It's never going to be as fast. We shut down construction to save money, not because it's not possible. Pretty much anything is possible.

Alternatively, we can raise taxes.

Likely the cost. Even now I hardly see anyone using their phones underground so I doubt it would be worth the investment
Isn't that like saying no one reads in the dark, so we don't need indoor electric lighting?

When is the last time you rode the subway? Or transit?

Above ground, everyone is on their phone much of the trip. And even below ground many are stuck to it - presumably with content already on their phones. I certainly try and push my phone sometimes at a station, to try and quickly sync something, before the next section of tunnel.

Once they finish all the tunnels, it will be fantastically useful. But what's the funding model if the big boys don't allow voice calls. And how many would be willing to switch to the smaller companies that do.

Alert!! Missal alert!
Which would probably be funny if one had good Latin, or new which church this book (missal) was from. Is it from St. Paul's Basilica in Corktown, or the one up on Bloor?

The phone works on WiFi. Your carrier has to enable it. When I am in the US I can use my phone on WiFi without incurring roaming charges. Solves the problem of having to hang half off your balcony when you live in a Condo or of being out of cell range. No data is used.
Yes, but then you might have to answer your phone while on vacation ... :)

I think I can get Rogers to enable it on my Blackberry if I phone them. I just haven't had a reason - which I might. Though I think there's some apps you can download - for outgoing calls at least.

Last edited:
I think I can get Rogers to enable it on my Blackberry if I phone them. I just haven't had a reason - which I might. Though I think there's some apps you can download - for outgoing calls at least.

Most (I could have said all, but to be safe, let's stay as is) of the latest Android phones have it. You just need to register on the carriers' website for the first time and activate it on your phone. No calling them, or other app is needed.

Initial estimate pegs cost of waterfront transit plan at $1.9 to $2.3 billion
image.jpg

The city's future plans for transit along its waterfront study is shown in this image. (City of Toronto)

Chris Fox, CP24.com
Published Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:01PM EST
Last Updated Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:36PM EST
An ambitious plan to improve transit along the city’s waterfront carries a price tag of $1.98 to $2.31 billion in 2017 dollars, according to a staff report.

The report, which will go before the city’s executive committee next week, lays out 10 proposed transit projects for an area spanning from Long Branch Avenue and Lakeshore Boulevard in the west end to Queen Street and Woodbine Avenue in the east end.

Included in the list of projects is a long-discussed light-rail transit line along Queen’s Quay between Bay and Parliament streets and another light rail line between Exhibition Place and the Humber Bay Shores area dubbed the "Humber Bay Link."

Staff are also recommending infrastructure improvements that would allow streetcars to operate in a dedicated lane on parts of Lakeshore Boulevard, Bathurst Street and Cherry Street.

The staff report follows the completion of a phase one study, which took a closer look at which transit projects would be the most beneficial for the area. The phase one study was completed in 2016.

“Our Etobicoke waterfront has exploded with development. People want to live here, but our transit has not kept up,” Mayor Tory said in a press release issued on Wednesday, in which he highlighted the proposed projects for the west end. “We have a plan for transit solutions across the entire length of the waterfront to get Toronto moving. We are getting on with it and I'm confident we will get it built.”

Staff are recommending that the city pursue the projects included in the plan as part of a wider waterfront transit network that they says is necessary in light of the significant population growth expected to take place in the neighbourhoods bordering Lake Ontario.

The staff report says that the population in the study area is forecast to increase by 280,000 people by 2041 while the number of jobs will increase by an estimated 190,000.

The report says that the transit infrastructure serving the city’s waterfront currently is simply “inadequate to accommodate latent and future” demand, particularly in rapidly growing communities like Liberty Village, Humber Bay Shores, the Lower Don Lands and the Union Station-East Bayfront area.

“Overall, an extended TTC light rail transit service network along the waterfront would serve multiple roles – longer distance trips, local trips, recreational/cultural/special event-based trips, and connections to other sustainable transportation modes, providing a resilient and flexible transportation system for the 21st century, the report states.

The city previously included the waterfront transit network among its priority projects for the second phase of federal public transit infrastructure funding.

The report going before executive committee next week asks that the updated network plan be included in the city’s official plan and be forwarded to Metrolinx for consideration as part of their ongoing regional transit review.

Though most of the projects included in the plan are at one per cent design or less, the report notes that work is currently underway to advance the design work to the 30 per cent threshold on both the Queen’s Quay and Humber Bay Shores LRT’s.

The report also warns that the estimated budget of $1.98 to $2.31 billion is subject to "further design work" and "third party cost estimate validation."

"These costs are primarily based on one per cent or less level of design," it states. This estimate does not include escalation, financing costs or the pricing of risk."

I got an impression that some assume Torontonians are more ignorant than citizens in other international cities when it comes to transit and technology.

There's a very big distinction between "transfer" and "connection" - one is generally assumed to be free, the other isn't.

Most (I could have said all, but to be safe, let's stay as is) of the latest Android phones have it. You just need to register on the carriers' website for the first time and activate it on your phone. No calling them, or other app is needed.
Oh cool - I've just seen chatter in the various Blackberry forums - but that's mostly about American carriers - who are probably just being s***holes about it.

I should go look for that on my phone! Learn something every day ... and seldom where/when you expect it (which is why I love when a discussion goes a little-bit off-line).

I use iPhone. I had to enable WiFi calling on my phone and then call Rogers to activate it. That may differ with different carriers. At any rate, it was a game-changer. That said, I'd much prefer if people can't use their phones under ground. It's a break from the over-loud conversations I hear on streetcars. :confused: (I'm a fan of the quiet zones on GO).

That said, I'd much prefer if people can't use their phones under ground. It's a break from the over-loud conversations I hear on streetcars. :confused: (I'm a fan of the quiet zones on GO).
Can't really hear too much - and the track noise from the subway should drown out most. But yeah, there's been some really annoying ones. Where you want to start screaming at them or heckling. Which I did once with one who was about 6 rows behind me on the streetar, and wasn't just audible, but loud where I was. Boy, was he indignant!

But most people are just using data, and calls are relatively quick, or I can't even here them. I don't get the ones that do it loudly AND just phone someone up to chat ...

The biggest problem with GO is that they only do the upper deck, and they do it on every car. I'd prefer if they did entire cars, but not every car. Try riding a GO Train with a child - where are they going to sit? I tried to talk my daughter out of it once ... I got the "are you insane?" look, and there was really no choice other than spending about 5 minutes confining and transporting a large-for-her age 9-year old down the stairs; needless to say, it was one of those pick your battles moments. Though I quickly noticed that everyone was chatting anyway. I get the impression that people are more serious about them at 7 AM than 6 PM.

GO made quite clear it was voluntary. If people didn't follow it, tough luck, they weren't going to. And yet we've heard reports of people pushing the yellow strip to get emergency help, because someone was talking too loud ...

Just seems totally unnecessary. GO Trains are so utterly quiet anyways. If I can close my eyes, and fall asleep on a subway train or streetcar ...

I think paratransit/specialized transit should be operated by a separate agency (and posssibly uploaded to the Province). Look at how successful the conventional-only agencies in Brampton and Mississauga are. But I'm not sure if Uber is an appropriate alternative to Wheel-Trans: it probably has special requirements that Uber can't meet. YRT should look into Uber as a replacement for its "Dial-A-Ride" services though.

Uber has UberWAV for wheelchair accessible vans already. WheelTrans currently contracts out some of their service to Becks and other taxi companies. So there really isn't a special requirement that a private company can't fill.

The key difference is getting rid of a layer of bureaucracy. Right now there is a team of workers coordinating Wheeltrans at City Hall. Instead we can use Uber's technology to coordinate the drives (Uber would earn a commission for each ride).

According to this link:

Give your bike a break on subways and streetcars
Bicycles are permitted on subways and streetcars during off-peak hours.

Monday to Friday:
  • Before 6:30 a.m.
  • Between 10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
  • After 7 p.m.
All weekend and statutory holidays.
Nothing about strollers during the rush hours. Maybe the TTC will have to not permit strollers on the subway during peak hours to ease the crowding? If the DRL keeps getting delayed, they just might have to.

The key difference is getting rid of a layer of bureaucracy. Right now there is a team of workers coordinating Wheeltrans at City Hall. Instead we can use Uber's technology to coordinate the drives (Uber would earn a commission for each ride).

Wheel-Trans has to be available by phone and TTY. Uber isn't - someone who doesn't have cell phone data can't use it, and neither can someone who's blind.

Nothing about strollers during the rush hours. Maybe the TTC will have to not permit strollers on the subway during peak hours to ease the crowding?

The TTC used to ban strollers during rush hour but they got rid of the ban because of accessibility concerns. As long as the stroller fits through the door and behind the white line on a bus, it's allowed.

In any case, it's a non-issue. Passengers with strollers are uncommon during rush hour and they only take up two or three people worth of space.

Back