News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Take a look at the TTC website pages on bus routes.. Several express routes have no regular route equivalent.
No, I mean the regular express bus routes (XXE, 1XXE) can be in place, instead of Rocket bus routes (18X, 19X).

On the TTC Buses site, it refers to Rocket Routes as "Express Routes", and Express regular routes as just a branch of a "Regular Route".

Best to read up on the June 15, 2017 report on Express Bus Network Study, in PDF form at this link. Page 10 explains the differences between a Tier 1 and a Tier 2 express bus route. Most of the routes mentioned will have to wait until the new McNicoll Bus Garage opens (2020?) and after most of the new streetcars have arrived to have buses available to use.

Last edited:
Am I correct to define an Express bus route as one that follows the regular route but has less stops, and a Rocket but route as one that is destination based? Then I am asking why there is the 195 Jane Rocket, which follows what a 35E Jane would? Same question with 199 Finch Rocket and 36/39 Finch West/East. Is it because of the East and Wesr designation?

Officially, "express" (tier 2) means a rush hour-only route, and "rocket" (tier 1) means a bus that runs midday, evenings and/or weekends. The numbering has a couple of inconsistencies (the 84E is considered a tier 1 "rocket" bus and the 199C is considered a tier 2 "express" bus).

Am I correct to define an Express bus route as one that follows the regular route but has less stops, and a Rocket but route as one that is destination based?

Then I am asking why there is the 195 Jane Rocket, which follows what a 35E Jane would?

Same question with 199 Finch Rocket and 36/39 Finch West/East. Is it because of the East and Wesr designation?

Rocket routes are express routes that run for more than just the rush hours. It's simply a branding exercise.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

No, I mean the regular express bus routes (XXE, 1XXE) can be in place, instead of Rocket bus routes (18X, 19X).

On the TTC Buses site, it refers to Rocket Routes as "Express Routes", and Express regular routes as just a branch of a "Regular Route".

On the List of all Bus Routes (http://www.ttc.ca/Routes/Buses.jsp ) I see:

bus.JPG

Express Routes are

Express.JPG

Downtown Express are:

DTExpress.JPG

Attachments

• bus.JPG
    bus.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 380
  • Express.JPG
    Express.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 364
  • DTExpress.JPG
    DTExpress.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 360

Attachments

• Branch.PNG
    Branch.PNG
    8.5 KB · Views: 227
  • Regular Routes.PNG
    Regular Routes.PNG
    6.6 KB · Views: 205
  • York Mills.PNG
    York Mills.PNG
    10.1 KB · Views: 212
Those are great pics @drum118. There are two things of note here:

1. I'm glad the TTC is increasingly going with concrete pads at bus lay-bys and terminals, since they have a much longer life in general.
2. I'm looking forward to the increased amount of foolish drivers who will drive into Humber Loop

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tr...tc-tackling-garbled-subway-announcements.html

TTC is updated its radio system to digital to cut down on the garbledness ... however in the article was also this:

"Adam Cohoon, a member of the accessibility committee for advocacy group TTCriders, said that any change to the current glitchy system would likely be an improvement, “but it’s only half of the job.” He argued that the announcements should also be displayed visually on screens in subway cars.

“There are a lot of riders that are hard of hearing or deaf … Any messages that are conveyed via audio should be put in a textual message as well,” he said."

Is (yet) another lawsuit about to come to the TTC ?

Is (yet) another lawsuit about to come to the TTC ?

I have lost all respect for TTCriders. They were at one time a helpful advocacy group but since then they have become somewhat militant in their activities by raising hell at Board Meetings, raising the spectre of lawsuits etc.

I recall a TTC Board Meeting where TTCriders protested a low income transit pass. They brought in busloads of Asian seniors and along with their leadership started ranting without permission to speak. The Board Members then left the room while order was restored.

It was useful when they produced studies, advocated but they have now gone onto ranting and being disruptive just to get themselves heard. Being disruptive never solved anything, attempting to open discussions on matters to resolve them is a far better option.

If all you do is protest everything, hold days of action etc people will start to tune you out. Talk is cheap, actually sitting down for meetings with the proper people will get the job done.

Last edited:
Having screens in vehicles telling riders of not only issues on the line, but what is the next stop showing others routes as well when X vehicle will be at that stop for X route is not new and found in many places in Europe. A number of places will show how long it will before the rider to reach the next stop and the end of route as well. Some have live video showing on the screen as to what taking place on your car and train

Had my share of groups and why I am a lone wolf, since I only have to answer to myself. There are a number of us doing the lone wolf going before TTC and other places, but we speak for all transit riders in the end.
8038193308_81c496cd13_b.jpg

8038184853_e37a547d42_b.jpg

8084601845_4bd0721254_b.jpg

8084598558_e30a4bab8b_b.jpg

Having screens in vehicles telling riders of not only issues on the line, but what is the next stop showing others routes as well when X vehicle will be at that stop for X route is not new and found in many places in Europe. A number of places will show how long it will before the rider to reach the next stop and the end of route as well. Some have live video showing on the screen as to what taking place on your car and train

Had my share of groups and why I am a lone wolf, since I only have to answer to myself. There are a number of us doing the lone wolf going before TTC and other places, but we speak for all transit riders in the end.
8038193308_81c496cd13_b.jpg

8038184853_e37a547d42_b.jpg

8084601845_4bd0721254_b.jpg

8084598558_e30a4bab8b_b.jpg
A closer example would be Viva, they adopted the European standard:

IMG_1328.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1328.JPG
    IMG_1328.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 431

Back