News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Fascinating.

I came to this thread w/2 questions in mind and one is more or less being debated above.....

I have a question for those in the know.

Why when the TTC orders new buses, do they order the handicap/blue seats as benches?

The alternative, which makes more sense to me, being on the new trains, where the seats are pull-down and individual.

I would think the second configuration would allow for a stroller tucked into the space of 2 seats with a parent sitting on the 3rd one.

Which would be much more efficient than having parents sit down and park the stroller in front of them in the aisle; which most do, because its far too much trouble to lift the bench and then have to stand
too.

Other question, does anyone know where the TTC retail enhancement strategy went to die?

I know they were supposed to look at accommodation more retail in large stations and examining ideas like vending machines to serve low-use stations.

Haven't seen any sign of a report on this.

The TTC used to ban strollers during rush hour but they got rid of the ban because of accessibility concerns. As long as the stroller fits through the door and behind the white line on a bus, it's allowed.

In any case, it's a non-issue. Passengers with strollers are uncommon during rush hour and they only take up two or three people worth of space.

Guess it's more a "guideline" than a "rule".

Hopefully all this comes true:
8CD6E570-9689-4E8A-869D-8A902E833E92.jpeg

Higher Quality
E07504AC-B5E7-41CC-8B24-737AC8B2C1F5.jpeg

Attachments

• 8CD6E570-9689-4E8A-869D-8A902E833E92.jpeg
    8CD6E570-9689-4E8A-869D-8A902E833E92.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 521
  • E07504AC-B5E7-41CC-8B24-737AC8B2C1F5.jpeg
    E07504AC-B5E7-41CC-8B24-737AC8B2C1F5.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
From the TTC Corporate Plan 2018-2022 report at this link.

Line 5 EGLINTON opens 2021
Line 6 FINCH WEST opens 2022
Line 7 SHEPPARD EAST opens 2028-2032
Relief Line 3 opens 2028-2032
Line ? Waterfront Transit opens 2033-2037​

At present, the TTC has the following routes:
5 AVENUE ROAD
6 BAY
7 BATHURST
8 BROADVIEW
9 BELLAMY

Likely, we'll see route number changes before 2021.

Last edited:
From the TTC Corporate Plan 2018-2022 report at this link.

Line 5 EGLINTON opens 2021
Line 6 FINCH WEST opens 2022
Line 7 SHEPPARD EAST opens 2028-2032​

At present, the TTC has the following routes:
5 AVENUE ROAD
6 BAY
7 BATHURST
8 BROADVIEW
9 BELLAMY

Likely, we'll see route number changes before 2021.
I hope they change all route numbers at once and not have any single digits. Leave those for Rapid Transit, not bus routes.

According to the TTC report, Toronto is going to have a population of 3.8 Million people in 2043. If we want to continue to make Toronto great, it's essential that we continue to build out our transit system as envisioned in that report.

25 years isn't a lot of time to get it done, but I remain hopeful. The opposition party in Queen's Park no longer appears to no longer be outright hostile to transit expansion in Toronto. TTC service funding and service quality has been improving year-over-year. And we again have a mayor that is willing to take steps to improve transit, despite those steps being potentially harmful to car drivers. If we can avoid a Ford mayoralty in 2018, we likely will have rid ourselves of the Fords for good.

The biggest challenge in the future will be dedicated transit funding, both at the provincial and municipal level. Both levels of government remain hesitant to adopt dedicated transit funding, despite increasing public support for those kinds of proposals. We must have that sorted out at some point in the next 10 to 15 years. In recent years there's been a big shift in the public's perceptions of the importance of transit, so I'm hopeful that we'll get a funding situation worked out.

Page 64:
The expansion of transit requires new places to store and maintain vehicles. The TTC will open the McNicoll Bus Garage in 2020. We’ll also begin planning for a new subway maintenance and storage facility on Line 2.

I assume they're talking about Obico Yard. We've known this was coming for a while, but nice to see it officially in the plans. This is an important project to enable the Relief Line and Scarborough Subway.

Sign up for Bathurst Bridge work saying work starts Jan 2018 and completed Dec 2018. The ramp to Fort York has been removed, other than supports.

Noticed to display screens at Union Station for the Yonge line and larger than the current ones. One is mounted on the back of a column for the west end and the other on the wall at the east end.

On the 4th LRV on 512 trying to get into Gunns Loop with us on St Clair, one on Gunns and 2 in the loop, with another heading east.

A few things in the fantasy map are not mentioned in the plan:

1. Jane Line
2. Relief Line North
3. Finch West LRT does not go to Finch Station
4. Eglington West and East Extension

They are shown on this map, but as "* Future line names, route alignments and station/stop names are subject to change." on them.

Hopefully all this comes true:
View attachment 132689

Jane Line
is listed as Line 8.
The Relief Line North continues as Line 3 to meet up with Line 4 and Line 7's DON MILLS Station on Sheppard Avenue East.
The Finch West LRT continues as Line 6 to Line 1's FINCH Station.
And the Crosstown LRT is shown as Line 5 extending to PEARSON AIRPORT in the west and UTSC in the east.

Missing is the Line 6 extension in the west to PEARSON AIRPORT.

They are shown on this map, but as "* Future line names, route alignments and station/stop names are subject to change." on them.

View attachment 132689

Jane Line is listed as Line 8.
The Relief Line North continues as Line 3 to meet up with Line 4 and Line 7's DON MILLS Station on Sheppard Avenue East.
The Finch West LRT continues as Line 8 to Line 1's FINCH Station.
And the Crosstown LRT is shown as Line 5 extending to PEARSON AIRPORT in the west and UTSC in the east.

Missing is the Line 8 extension in the west to PEARSON AIRPORT.
If they are not in TTC's 25-year plan, the chance they're being built is really low? Or is Metrolinx going to build them?

The biggest problem with GO is that they only do the upper deck, and they do it on every car. I'd prefer if they did entire cars, but not every car.
Thr trains they have that run in and out of Sydney Australia have two quiet cars on a train their the end cars of a four-car unit, if they put tow together for 8 cars they have four quit cars with the middle two of each section being non quiet cars.

Back