News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Sorry, I missed the Helsinki part. I saw conversation go from Tallinn to Finland and made an assumption. Quick reading at work.

They put out the proposal, but I think it's a question for the next city council to decide whether or not to fund it. Tory seemed put off by it.

It should be in the 2015 budget that goes to the TTC board, and then to council. Whether council approves it or not waits to be seen.

After the meeting, Tory posted on his website:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ght-move-john-tory/+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

It looks as though this was recently deleted, so here is the text:
TTC BOARD DECISION THE RIGHT MOVE: JOHN TORY​

Next mayor and council should decide​

John Tory released the following statement in response to the decision by the Toronto Transit Commission Board to make the “Opportunities To Improve Transit Service In Toronto†report part of the 2015 budget process:

“I’m glad that the TTC Board agrees with me that rushing through a half a billion dollar wish list with absolutely no financial plan is not the way to run any public agency, let alone the TTC.

The Board’s decision to amend its motion so that this report becomes part of the 2015 budget process when a new mayor and council will be in place is the right move. It is a win for fiscal accountability and it’s what taxpayers expect and deserve.

For some time, I have expressed support for a number of the measures in this report, including queue-jumping bus lanes, improving signal technology and all-door boarding. The point I have made all along is that you have to have a plan as to how to pay for these things first.

NDP candidate Chow continues to show that she does not understand the TTC’s proposal or the numbers in it by falsely claiming that her $15 million bus plan has been approved. It has not and the actual amounts discussed in the TTC report are in the hundreds of millions of dollars.â€
Time-based transfers would be nice.
I'd think they'd be inevitable. Although Metrolinx has committed that they can implement TTC's current transfer system in Presto, I don't think they'll actually be able to pull it off, unless they issue paper transfers for ever more.

Right you are, and a few years back the CEO of Nokia got a speeding ticket for over 100,000 euros. This is a fair system.

But in regards to income-based fares. I probably should've elaborated more. The average rider will pay the regular advertised fare, while those on welfare, disablility, etc. are eligible for income-based fares. These are applied automatically to your card when you get it registered, like concession fares are.

Oh, okay ... well, that's like many other systems that have student/senior fares encoded onto the fare media. Not so much higher fares the higher your income. People who are well off don't need any further encouragement NOT to take transit, of course.

Sorry, I missed the Helsinki part. I saw conversation go from Tallinn to Finland and made an assumption. Quick reading at work.

Ah, one day Helsinki and Tallinn might be linked by a tunnel and you'd be able to take a train between the two ...

Four separate passenger alarms around the same time this morning on Bloor-Danforth.
Yikes.

And major signal issues on both Line 1 and Line 2. At 7:40 am it took me 35 min to get from Coxwell to the Bloor Viaduct; it was normal from there to Yonge. I could have walked that faster.

Is this some new signal issue that the TTC has been experiencing recently? Does anyone know if the problems on Line 1 and Line 2 are related?

Four separate passenger alarms around the same time this morning on Bloor-Danforth.
Yikes.

It always happens - slowdown inevitably causes additional troubles to propagate (any bets on the passenger alarms being panic attacks, etc?). The performance indicators the TTC uses are laughable - don't tell me you are 90%+ on time, tell me what percentage of rush hour trains are delay free instead (and better yet, percentage of rider trips). I have a feeling the numbers will make us blue in the face.

AoD

Last edited:
It always happens - slowdown inevitably causes additional troubles to propagate (any bets on the passenger alarms being panic attacks, etc?).
I'd think most were panic attacks, or someone who was already feeling poorly, and while a 15-minute ride wouldn't have done them in, a 60-minute ride would.

I can't say I've ever had anything like a panic attack on the subway ... but on one occasion while stuck in a bad traffic jam (gridlock) on the Leaside Bridge, a couple of firetrucks ripped past in the other direction, and I felt the whole bridge shake when they went past. As an engineer, I knew it was perfectly safe, but I really had to fight hard the desire to get out of my car and just walk away. About 10 minutes later when we finally got off the bridge, my palms were sweating, and I was shaking a bit. Pulled over for a few minutes before I continued my trip - and stuck to Don Mills Road for a few weeks after that! The whole thing was felt very surreal. If someone reacts like that in a subway tunnel (which when you think about it, is a pretty confined space), I can relate. I've never had any problems walking over such bridges before, and still walk across the Bloor Viaduct from time to time.

The performance indicators the TTC uses are laughable - don't tell me you are 90%+ on time, tell me what percentage of rush hour trains are delay free instead (and better yet, percentage of rider trips).
TTC will quite readily admit they don't work, and are deeply flawed. Another issue, especially for surface vehicles, is that the vehicles could in theory be 100% on-time ... and 100% loaded to capacity, so while it shows as 100%, you can't get on. In reality if everything is 100%, there should be space ... but it can still look very good percentage-wise, but people are being left-behind and short-turned. They keep saying they are working a trip-based parameter ... but nothing seems to ever come of it.

I have a feeling the numbers will make us blue in the face.
They do release the indicators for each route quarterly. Some of those numbers DO make you blue in the face. See www.ttc.ca/PDF/Customer_Service/Quarterly_Reports/Route_Performance_Q3_2014.pdf

How can the 310 Bathurst really be 53%? 2-AM traffic jams? The 7 Bathurst is better at 57%. And the Humber Bay Express is really only 29%? And they wonder why it's under-utilized?

And here's what happened: http://www.ttc.ca/Customer_Service/System_Problems_Nov_5_2014.jsp

St. George signals failed (YUS)
Broadview signals showed a false red

However...there are also cross-overs at Spadina. So I'd like to know why they didn't use those. (which allows for a good bypass via Bloor or via streetcars)

All of us transit nerds are looking forward to the new signalling system with automated train control on Line 1 in 2018-2020.

Here are my follow up questions:

1. Can the process be accelerated if we had more weekend subway closures? Maybe we should look into doing this, it could be worth it if signal problems keep happening.

2. Should we be starting the signal upgrade process for Line 2 now?

However...there are also cross-overs at Spadina. So I'd like to know why they didn't use those. (which allows for a good bypass via Bloor or via streetcars)
What this map refers to The Kendal Crossover (is that correct, it doesn't google well) north of Spadina. Good question.

1. Can the process be accelerated if we had more weekend subway closures? Maybe we should look into doing this, it could be worth it if signal problems keep happening.
I'm sure it could. The issue though is that would cost more money. Every major mayoral candidate promised to save money, and keep tax increased below inflation. So ... no.

2. Should we be starting the signal upgrade process for Line 2 now?
Yes we should. The issue though is that would cost more money. Every major mayoral candidate promised to save money, and keep tax increased below inflation. So ... no.

I'd think most were panic attacks, or someone who was already feeling poorly, and while a 15-minute ride wouldn't have done them in, a 60-minute ride would.

No doubt - the conditions on the platforms and the trains must be fairly unbearable. They really need to have better coordination in limiting access to the stations, especially platforms under these situations. It is unsafe, and one of these days something truly bad would happen (like a stampede) and we'd be left wondering.

And don't even get me started on how anyone think that selling pizza at Yonge+Bloor at the height of rush is a good idea. Ditto placement of the lotto counter, Metro racks, etc - right at that crush space. Or, as much as I like subway musicians, having them playing during rush when the PA is at times inaudiable. Think, people.

AoD

Last edited:

Back