News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Speaking of electronic signs, why haven't they been installed yet at Sheppard-Yonge station?

Speaking of electronic signs, why haven't they been installed yet at Sheppard-Yonge station?
And why do they not remove the old (and unused for over a decade) signs on the Yonge line that used to give the train destination similar to this:
next.jpg

Attachments

• next.jpg
    next.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 626
I always thought that sign meant the next train coming to my station was currently at Kipling. I was surprised when the next train showed up in 2 minutes!!

I think those signs were only used for six months while the Yonge-University Line and Bloor-Danforth Line had wye operations.
That was MANY years ago so I repeat my question "Why are they not removed?" (Particularly when the TTC are doing other work in a station.)

I think those signs were only used for six months while the Yonge-University Line and Bloor-Danforth Line had wye operations.
I thought some of them weren't even installed until after wye operations ended in 1966! There were certainly in use and maintained lot later than that ... as evidenced by Kipling being the destination, despite the station not being opened until the 1980s.

The ones on the YUS were used every single morning until about 4 years ago.

As to why they haven't been removed? Because that would require manpower to pull them down. It may have been smarter to tie their removal in with the OneStop screen installation, but alas, it doesn't seem that they had thought about that.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Those signs are history. Leave them up.
Based on that we would have road signs pointing to Berlin (ONT), Port Arthur and York (i.e. Toronto). They are signs and should mean something other than that the TTC has either forgotten to change the bulbs or to take them down!

As to why they haven't been removed? Because that would require manpower to pull them down.

This reflects how shoddy of an organization the TTC is. Keeping useless crap like this up makes the whole operation look backwards and underfunded..which it is..but no need to make it so obvious. Kind of like the handwritten signs that periodically show up when there are diversions/construction-related changes. Hack jobs.

If I worked for the TTC I would volunteer my own time and take as many as I could down. Of course if I worked for the TTC I'm sure my union job description would prohibit me from volunteering my own time to do something that enriched the organization.

Last edited:
This reflects how shoddy of an organization the TTC is. Keeping useless crap like this up makes the whole operation look backwards and underfunded..which it is..but no need to make it so obvious.
Surely, leaving the signs in place (which are still correct), looks better than leaving capped wired dangling from the ceiling, or a hole that needs fixing. As far as I can tell, the signs are slowly disappearing as major work takes place in each station.

Hack jobs.
Haven't we hacked enough jobs? You can't complain about things not getting done, and then ask that jobs be hacked.

Mr. Tory, tear down those obsolete signs. They date from even before the beloved "acorn" street name signs.
aveo.jpg

Actually, keeping them up makes them almost museum pieces.
subway-5305-52.jpg

It'll be like tearing down this sign because The Canadian Bank of Commerce has been replaced by the CIBC (or Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce), and is therefore invalid.
Canadian+Imperial+Bank+of+Commerce+today.jpg

Attachments

• aveo.jpg
    aveo.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 413
  • subway-5305-52.jpg
    subway-5305-52.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 477
  • Canadian+Imperial+Bank+of+Commerce+today.jpg
    Canadian+Imperial+Bank+of+Commerce+today.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:
The ones on the YUS were used every single morning until about 4 years ago.

Really? I had never noticed. Why did they use them? Other than the occasional turn back at St. Clair West Station, all trains ended their trips at terminal station Downsview or Finch.

These signs may be of use when again when TYSSE opens in a few years, since a significant amount of the trains will turn back before Vaughan Metropolitan Centre (Ha!) Station. However I suspect that the TTC will more likely use the OneStop system since it should be cheaper to update and operate.

Back