News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I wish they had done a few long closures when ridership was at its lowest in April and May. Would have sped up ATC installation considerably.
It clearly takes time to schedule the worker (and contractors) but it would obviously have been better to do more when traffic was VERY low. Not really something one can plan for and I am actually amazed the TTC got their act together to do it now. Kudos!

It clearly takes time to schedule the worker (and contractors) but it would obviously have been better to do more when traffic was VERY low. Not really something one can plan for and I am actually amazed the TTC got their act together to do it now. Kudos!

Fair point, though I think they could have mobilized during the summer and earlier in the fall. Hopefully they get another few in before the pandemic is over.

I thought I read somewhere that the closure was asbestos related.
That was my understanding as well. May go hand and hand with this shut down, with asbestos being done first/last.

It is asbestos related. They are removing asbestos coatings on the tunnel walls in order to allow for the ATC/ATO equipment installation to proceed.

They are shutting down the line so that they can have an outside company come and do the removal work safely, and not have to worry about constantly setting up and tearing down every session. Between this and some additional nightly closures over the coming months for the more delicate material removal, they're figuring that this will equate to and replace something like 6 years of nightly work sessions.

Dan

It is asbestos related. They are removing asbestos coatings on the tunnel walls in order to allow for the ATC/ATO equipment installation to proceed.

They are shutting down the line so that they can have an outside company come and do the removal work safely, and not have to worry about constantly setting up and tearing down every session. Between this and some additional nightly closures over the coming months for the more delicate material removal, they're figuring that this will equate to and replace something like 6 years of nightly work sessions.

Dan

It makes you wonder if they will try this again should it be successful. 6 years in around 2 weeks is a time savings worth looking at in the future

I wish they had done a few long closures when ridership was at its lowest in April and May. Would have sped up ATC installation considerably.
In a dream world sure, but the actual work programme has to be planned months in advance - work crews and equipment have to be assigned, parts have to be ordered and delivered etc. Something to look at in future, maybe.

Photo by TransitToronto
rendering_of_facility_services_building_eglinton_station.jpg
]

Nov 29
TTC Facility Service Building For The TTC’s Line 1 On Berwick Avenue
50679084303_24e45d1a86_b.jpg

50679915682_0879a30381_b.jpg

50679084473_c24f9fe635_b.jpg

50679839861_a4db2dd458_b.jpg

50679916972_febd196469_b.jpg

50679916867_ef95c9f9e9_b.jpg

Reminder: TTC to close portion of Line 1 for 10 days to speed up ATC installation

Dec. 4, 2020

The TTC is reminding customers that beginning tonight at 11 p.m., the portion of Line 1 between Finch and Sheppard-Yonge stations will be closed for tunnel improvements that will accelerate installation of the ATC signal system. The closure will take place in two phases:

- The first phase will run for seven days between Finch and Sheppard-Yonge stations, ending on Fri., Dec. 11 at the end of service.
- The second phase will see the closure extend from Finch Station to St Clair Station on the weekend of Dec. 12/13. Regular service will resume across the system by 6 a.m. on Mon., Dec. 14, 2020.

"I know these closures are frustrating, but the TTC is doing this work now during the pandemic, while subway ridership is dramatically reduced, to save years in the long run," said Mayor John Tory. "I want to thank our TTC workers for doing all they can to accelerate the installation of the ATC signal system. These upgrades will help provide a more reliable subway ride for more riders."

The TTC is capitalizing on reduced ridership during the COVID-19 pandemic to carry out this much-needed work, saving more than two years of early nightly closure shifts. During the closure, crews will be performing vital state-of-good-repair work, including tunnel lining repairs, track remediation, asbestos removal and station cleaning, as well as ATC signal upgrades.

"While subway ridership is low, we are proactively accelerating capital work on Line 1 to reduce our state-of-good repair backlog and improve service for TTC passengers. This innovative approach will result in remarkable cost and time savings, reducing the project timeline for necessary tunnel improvements for several years," said TTC Chair Jaye Robinson.

Shuttle buses will run frequently throughout the closure. Customers can expect bus service every 60 seconds during peak periods and very consistent service to continue throughout the day. Service levels have been designed based on current customer volumes.

Customers travelling into the city are encouraged to start their journey at Sheppard-Yonge Station instead of Finch Station, if possible, to avoid the closure area. Customers are also able to use the University side of Line 1 as an alternative.

"We are taking this opportunity to make the best of our reduced ridership and complete imperative state-of-good-repair work in the subway system while inconveniencing as few customers as possible," said TTC CEO Rick Leary. "This work will put our crews ahead several years in their progress of modernizing the system and providing the best possible service for our customers."

North York Centre Station will be closed from 11 p.m. tonight until 6 a.m. on Dec. 14. All other stations will remain open for fare sales and connection to Line 4 and surface routes.

Customers who require Wheel-Trans service can speak with any TTC customer service staff member for assistance.

Nov 29
TTC Bus stop On Eglinton with front door entrance/exit only compare to Mississauga setup for 3 doors on 60' buses on Hurontario
50681082391_991360b0c9_b.jpg

50680323878_e3a51a1ee8_b.jpg

50680324008_6c85e067be_b.jpg

Dec 02
Mississauga
50682444416_516327fd0a_b.jpg

50681679618_32b82ee727_b.jpg

50682441621_4fe2f6683e_b.jpg

I hope the TTC is getting all of its longterm maintenance and upgrade projects done now. They could close most of the system and most of us wouldn't notice.
Well, that only took six months to seize the opportunity .. sheesh...

You really are a 'glass half-empty guy! I doubt that many people thought until at least mid-summer that we would be still be in semi-lockdown with a greatly reduced passenger load. Then, when you decide that it might be feasible, do you think it's a simple matter to arrange to get contractors on board, reschedule your own workers, plan bustitution, get the OK from the TTC Board and the City.? Frankly, I am quite impressed they are doing it at all!

Last edited:

Completing IFCs, scheduling labour, obtaining numerous shop drawings, stamping, then reviewing said shop drawings, manufacturing all necessary parts/components, storing everything, getting permits, scheduling replacement services, reallocating resources, among so many other things is an insane logistical challenge that takes months of planning.

You really are a 'glass half-empty guy! I doubt that many people thought until at least mid-summer that we would be still be in semi-lockdown with a greatly reduced passenger load. Then, when you decide that it might be feasible, do you think it's a simple matter to arrange to get contractors on board, reschedule your own workers, plan bustitution, get the OK from the TTC Board and the City.? Frankly, I am quite impressed they are doing it at all!

Worth noting is that the TTC did close Chester station many months back to expedite work on its elevators; and managed to finish them several months early.

Now, I'm not one to normally litter threads with personal anecdotes.........

But I'm sharing one today.

Was on Line 2 earlier today............and the train was booking it.

I have a very good idea how long the train normally takes from Bloor- Yonge to Main.

I would report the range 15'30 to 17'00 minutes.

I happened to look at my watch as I was boarding..........

We made the run in 12 minutes flat

That's almost certainly the fastest I've ever experienced it.

That's an average speed ~36km/ph; inclusive of acceleration/deceleration and dwell times.

The moment where i was acutely aware of it and made note........was inbound at Woodbine.

There's a cross-over just west of the station and its quite noisy as the train passes over it.

Trains also tend to take it at mid-speed rather than full throttle.

We booked it over the crossover, and train visibly swayed side to side.

Interesting run.........

Last edited:
Now, I'm not one to normally litter threads with personal anecdotes.........

But I'm sharing one today.

Was on Line 2 earlier today............and the train was booking it.

I have a very good idea how long the train normally takes from Bloor- Yonge to Main.

I would report the range 15'30 to 17'00 minutes.

I happened to look at my watch as I was boarding..........

We made the run in 12 minutes flat

That's almost certainly the fastest I've ever experienced it.

That's an average speed ~36km/ph; inclusive of acceleration/deceleration and dwell times.

The moment where i was acutely aware of it and made note........was inbound at Woodbine.

There's a cross-over just west of the station and its quite noisy at the train passes over it.

Trains also tend to take it at mid-speed rather than full throttle.

We booked it over the crossover, and train visibly swayed side to side.

Interesting run.........
12 minutes is astonishingly fast, i've never had a quick experience like that in my life.

At least you had a quick trip today, mine on the other hand was pretty damn slow from Kipling through to Broadview. Had a nice 7-8 min dwell at Kipling just get out of the station, followed by slow speeds from the Islington crossover tracks, crawling to a crawl at the Old Mill curve to Jane, slow speed out of Ossington through the pocket track area, etc.. Probably a 40 min trip all inclusive.

Of course the slow trips always happen when you need to be somewhere at a specific time. On the way back it was regular business.

Back