News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The CEO of TTC wants all streetcars routes on the subway map and it goes back to when Adam was chair of TTC.

No reason for not putting a GO station on the Map if it connects to the subway in the first place.

Not everyone is going downtown from the airport and they would like to know the various connection point for the UPX or other transit from the airport.

Less than 10% of visitors from the airport go downtown.

One right on the border.
The main entrance and TTC bus loop are in Toronto. Virtually all the walk-in demand will be to the adjacent York University and Black Creek Pioneer Village, all 100% in Toronto. This stop was always envision when this was a 100% Toronto project, before York Region got involved.

15981822416_de6ef3b3ec_o.jpg
15820340240_6b9c34dc0f_o.jpg

this is the more or less accepted definition of rapid transit "Rapid transit is a type of high-capacity public transport generally found in urban areas. Unlike buses, trams or light rail, rapid transit systems are electric railways that operate on an exclusive right-of-way, which cannot be accessed by pedestrians or other vehicles of any sort, and which is often grade separated in tunnels or on elevated railways."

Capacity, electric and lack of ROW is why the 192 rocket shouldn't be construed as "rapid transit".

Funny that the definition doesn't say anything about rapid as if speed doesn't matter, but I guess it is somewhat implied by having "exclusive right of way". However, Toronto seems to have the knack of disqualifying an otherwise rapid transit by deliberately making it slow moving despite having all the traits rapid transit should have. Case in point is the 510 and 512 - high capacity, check, ROW, check, electric, check, rapid? On the contrary.

I've complained about this multiple times. The word 'rapid transit' is a complete lie. There's nothing inherently rapid about RT. Protected Transit would be a more appropriate.

Case in point is the 510 and 512 - high capacity, check, ROW, check, electric, check, rapid? On the contrary.

510 and 512 are designed to be local routes (not RT). There's no pressing need for RT on Spadina or St. Clair (in my opinion).

Yes, but this bus route is not rapid transit.
That definition is very clearly erronous though, because i precludes Bus Rapid Transit from ever being Rapid Transit.

No one would actually however claim that Bus Rapid Transit wasn't Rapid Transit though.

If you look elsewhere on the same website, they do contradict the first page, with this one.

I'd suggest fixing that site, that's clearly wrong.

That definition is very clearly erronous though, because i precludes Bus Rapid Transit from ever being Rapid Transit.

No one would actually however claim that Bus Rapid Transit wasn't Rapid Transit though.

If you look elsewhere on the same website, they do contradict the first page, with this one.

I'd suggest fixing that site, that's clearly wrong.

Well there is this definition of RT from Webs
a system of public transportation in a metropolitan area, usually a subway or elevated train system.

I don't think there is an agreed upon definition of RT. Transit agencies seem to make RT whatever they want it to be.

That's surprising, since 506 doesn't use a ROW. 506 is also faster than 510. I wonder why that is.
The 510 is slow because there are a lot of intersections with other streetcar routes, and the driver has to check the switch at every intersection before proceeding, resulting in having to stop at almost every red light. A lot of intersections in general doesn't help either.

I deleted the post you responded to. I reposted it below.

I'm surprised you actually believe every politicians promise.

I never said I believed their promise. I said it would likely look like that in 15 years. If I believed their promise, I would have asserted my confidence in my statement.

I'm more surprised you don't think there'll be service to Vaughan Centre in 15 years!

I said it would look like that in 15 years. That means that those 13 RT lines can be operational in 15 years or less

Back