News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Your post is filled with strawmen accusations at me. I don't recall ever proposing turning Toronto into Europe. Can you show me a post where I said exactly that?
So is yours i don't think you are actually reading what I said other than i don't think Europe does everything better and I think its a silly argument to use for things.
I recall bringing up examples of various solutions such as plastic seating and door request buttons which work fine in Europe. These are extremely small, extremely specific solutions to specific problems which Toronto could at least try to look at. How on earth does that translate into suggesting we turn all of Toronto into Europe, or that I suggest it as a solution for everything?
We've had buttons on the new streetcars for 10 years now and people still haven't figured them out so I'm not really sure how it really matters if people in Europe use them. The seat issue is a problem in more places then just Europe though as people have pointed out that in many US cities that they have visited they don't like the plastic seats in them.
No one wants to hear about how Toronto is not Europe. I can look at the map on my wall and figure that out for myself. If you think my ideas are shit, explain why they're shit instead of the pedantic geography lesson.
What does this have to do with geography? Again you are so stuck in the idea that Europe does things better you want Toronto to do everything that Europe does. The point people who say Toronto isn't in Europe are trying to make is wr can look for different ways to do things and don't have to do ot exactly like they do in Europe.

So is yours i don't think you are actually reading what I said other than i don't think Europe does everything better and I think its a silly argument to use for things.
I don’t think anyone other than you is interpreting their argument that way.

They’re stating that:
  • We can learn from other jurisdictions (Europe is one of them)
  • If we think an idea is poor, debate the idea on its merits, not because the idea came from Europe
These seem like reasonable points.

No one in this conversation is suggesting that Toronto lift every European transit idea. They’re simply saying that ignoring ideas from Europe - simply because they come from Europe - is silly.

Last edited:
From http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2023.ST1.1😢

9. Toronto Transit Commission

(five members, including the Chair)

Councillor Paul Ainslie

Councillor Jon Burnside, Chair

Councillor Stephen Holyday

Councillor Nick Mantas

Councillor Chris Moise

for a term of office until December 31, 2024 and until successors are appointed.
Just wondering what sort of public transit background they have. Like do they actually use the TTC on a regular basis before today?

Last edited:
From http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2023.ST1.1😢

Just wondering what sort of public transit background they have. Like do they actually use the TTC on a regular basis before today?
The majority of the board are elected councillors. To be elected, they are generally pretty well off to support quitting your decent job and have a reputation. These people will general not ride the TTC or bother mingling to the lower classes of society. So why would we be surprised that every board assignment ends up like this. Unless there is a change at city hall to repel appointing elites to these roles, the board will be made up of "third hand experience" people who only knows about the TTC through complains to their office and notified by their staffs.

Google any bus route, and then click the link. All the ones I see 404. Imagine how long they'll take to fix something people don't care about as much?
This is a search engine issue, and it's something the TTC can't control (I know, I work on a university site and we have ghost pages appear all the time). They have route pages, but Google is not picking them up, but still has the old one cached.

Reactions: DSC
With only half the number of councillors prior to Doug Ford, each councillor has other additional committees, boards, etc. to attend to as well. The councillors on the TTC board will have less time to work directly and will have to rely more on the staff reports than to dig into each of the committees, boards, commissions, etc.. Efficient it is not.

These people will general not ride the TTC or bother mingling to the lower classes of society.
This is misleading and needlessly libelous. The TTC is well used by middle and upper middle class people in significant contrast to many/most American transit properties.

Hey @nfitz toss us some proof instead.

Last edited:
This is misleading and needlessly libelous. The TTC is well used by middle and upper middle class people in significant contrast to many/most American transit properties.
John Tory for example uses the subway to get to and from work each workday. However, not buses or streetcars, so doesn't see the bunching.

Doug Ford on the other hand uses his gas-gussying SUV to park in his private parking spot at Queen's Park. Which is why he's keeping the gasoline tax cut into next year, it benefits himself.
FhdY4L6WQAIdiXF

Pretty sure the bus bunching is TTC's poor operational choices and issues with the Roads department. You will also note the subway bunches and experiences many other operational issues despite Tory using it.

Pretty sure the bus bunching is TTC's poor operational choices and issues with the Roads department. You will also note the subway bunches and experiences many other operational issues despite Tory using it.

Roads (City Transportation) mostly causes issues by how it manages left-hand turns and transit priority where offered.

The TTC (insert a very large eye roll here) refuses to equip its staff (inspectors/supervisors) with the means to actually know where the buses are. They would have to use their own personal phones and an app.

Watch the next time you see an inspector.......say during a subway interruption, notice the absence of tablets and the presence of a old-school notepad.

The TTC has the ability to real-time track vehicle and headway using Vision (software installed at no small expense); it can even track how crowded vehicles are in real time.

But since the staff charged with managing the system can't generally see that data............... Sigh.

Back