News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Though TTC 'management' is certainly remarkably clueless, what I think they actually said was that because operators were using less sick-leave than predicted (less covid) they had more $$ to spend on service. Not a totally unreasonable reason - though as we all know, they would actually be able to offer MORE service at NO additional cost if they actually managed the service they do have.

Edit: To quote Steve Munro: "The additional subway service is made possible by an unexpectedly lower absentee rate among operators compared to budget. The TTC made a larger provision for covid-related sickness and finds itself with more available staff."
It means they aren't on paid leave since they are not isolating from COVID. So they have to go back to work. Of course there is additional costs, it's not free to drive a bus/train. Fuel and electricity cost is also a significant factor.

The biggest fail is not just management but to send all the streetcar routes on diversion. They should just break them into different segments. What's the point of putting the 501/505/506 all on Queen East.

Upcoming TTC subway closures and weekend diversions

May 11, 2023

Sat., May 13

This Sat., May 13 only, there will be no subway service on the portion of Line 1 between York Mills and Bloor-Yonge stations. This closure is due to Automatic Train Control (ATC) adjustments at Eglinton Station, to allow trains to be repositioned to a new section of the platform.

With the northern platform extension now complete at Eglinton Station, northbound trains will be stopping approximately 24 metres further up the platform. This new platform extension will provide customers with an easy connection to the future Line 5 Eglinton. Customers using the stairs and elevators at the south end of the platform will need to travel approximately one subway car length up the platform to access the train.

Shuttle buses will run this Saturday, stopping at each station along the route. TTC staff will be on hand to direct customers to shuttle boarding and offloading locations. In addition to the shuttles, the 97 Yonge bus and the University side of Line 1 will be available as alternatives during the closure.

Summerhill Station will be closed. All other stations will remain open for customers to load their PRESTO card, purchase PRESTO Tickets or connect to surface routes. At Lawrence Station, the automatic entrances/exits at Ranleigh Ave. and Bedford Park Ave. will be closed. Other entrances and exits will be available for customers at the station.

Customers who require Wheel-Trans service can speak with any TTC customer service staff member for assistance.

Sun., May 14

Several TTC bus and streetcar routes will divert this Sun., May 14, to accommodate the Sporting Life 10k, including:

o 11 Bayview
o 14 Glencairn
o 19 Bay
o 28 Bayview South
o 72 Pape
o 94 Wellesley
o 97 Yonge
o 121 Esplanade-River
o 300 Bloor-Danforth Night Bus
o 320 Yonge Night Bus
o 501 Queen
o 504 King
o 505 Dundas
o 506 Carlton
o 509 Harbourfront
o 512 St. Clair

The TTC is working to ensure that many alternate options are available to customers. Everyone is encouraged to leave themselves extra time, check ttc.ca and follow @TTCNotices for the most up-to-date service information.

Monday to Thursday

Mon., May 15, through to Thurs., May 18, subway service on the portion of Line 2 between Woodbine and Kennedy stations will end at 11 p.m. nightly for track work.

Replacement shuttle buses will run frequently, stopping at each station along the route. TTC staff will be on hand to direct customers to shuttle boarding and offloading locations.

At Victoria Park Station, the automatic entrance/exit at Teesdale Place will be closed. Other entrances and exits will be available for customers at the station. All stations will remain open for customers to load their PRESTO card or purchase PRESTO Tickets and connect to surface routes.

While the TTC does most subway maintenance at the conclusion of service each night, it continues to require weekend and early weeknight closures to complete critical infrastructure and state-of-good-repair work

I was at the Jane Station around 11:15 AM today (2023/05/11). Was going to take the eastbound train from there to Dundas West Station. There was announcement that was a “medical incident” at the Royal York Station, and trains were turning back at Jane Station. There are crossover tracks on the east side of Jane Station. (Shuttle buses were on the way.)

Trains came into the Jane Station westbound platform, and letting people off. Could hear them announce that the train was going no further, and all passengers have to get off. So people left the train. Then the train reversed to go east towards Runnymede Station using the crossover tracks.

Four trains did that. So decided to go up from the eastbound platform over to the westbound platform to board the next “eastbound” train from the westbound platform.

By the time, I got over to the westbound platform, they announced that “normal” service has returned. Was able to get back to the eastbound platform in time to board the next real eastbound train. Was at Jane Station for about 25± minutes or so.

Couldn’t understand why they didn’t just crossover the westbound train to the eastbound platform, if it was short-turning at Jane Station, to go back eastbound?

Streetcar derailed at King & Church. Back-ups for blocks!

No mention on TTC alerts though it clearly happened about 30+ minutes ago.

It IS on Twitter:

TTC Service Alerts
@TTCnotices

504 King: No service between King St West at Spadina Ave East Side and Broadview Station due to a streetcar derailment at King and Church.

1:41 PM · May 11, 2023
·
Views
I walked past about 5:15. It was still there with quite an army of TTC staff on hand. It looked like it derailed turning from south on Church to east on King

Reactions: max
I walked past about 5:15. It was still there with quite an army of TTC staff on hand. It looked like it derailed turning from south on Church to east on King
When I was by earlier in the week there were signs on Church North at King and South at Queen indicating streetcars weren't to enter. After walking the on-street loop and seeing all overhead was in place (seemingly the reason the loop was closed) I figured they'd reopen soon.

I wonder if Church in that section was formally reopened and whether the flangeways have been cleaned after a prolonged period of inactivity.

TTC non-payment of fare fines were on the debate agenda at council this evening............

Nothing changed, just yet.........

But after a debate in which councillor Cheng said........something along the lines of ....but people who don't pay for parking do it by accident.....but TTC...
(rolls eyes); the assumption seems to be that all non-payment is fare-gate jumping or illegal entry at stations.

But in fact, at least some is the boarding of un-gated surface vehicles and is indeed honest forgetting. Particularly on streetcars where all-door boarding is permitted, you may be inclined to grab a seat right away and not delay anyone behind you; and what you should do, of course, is immediately tap thereafter if that occurs.

I expect most people who 'cheat' the TTC mean to, but some do not.
I don't think its so much different with parking.

Regardless, both are absolute liability offenses, meaning that intent or lack thereof is not a defense in court.
So the fine should be identical or at least proportionate to $ lost.

At the end of the whole exercise, this is what passed:

1683854774802.png

and

1683854698672.png

and

1683854742816.png

Last edited:
TTC non-payment of fare fines were on the debate agenda at council this evening............

Nothing changed, just yet.........

But after a debate it which councillor Cheng said........something along the lines of ....but people who don't pay for parking do it by accident.....but TTC...
(rolls eyes); the assumption seems to be that all non-payment is fare-gate jumping or illegal entry at stations.

But in fact, at least some is the boarding of un-gated surface vehicles and is indeed honest forgetting. Particularly on streetcars where all-door boarding is permitted, you may be inclined to grab a seat right away and not delay anyone behind you; and what you should do, of course, is immediately tap thereafter if that occurs.

I expect most people who 'cheat' the TTC mean to, but some do not.
I don't think its so much different with parking.

Regardless, both are absolute liability offenses, meaning that intent or lack thereof is not a defense in court.
So the fine should be identical or at least proportionate to $ lost.

At the end of the whole exercise, this is what passed:

View attachment 476417

and

View attachment 476415

and

View attachment 476416
Really, this is they're wasting time with at city hall? We're going to study how fair parking fines are vs TTC fare evasion fines?

Lord please help us.

I don't think making the fine identical is a fair idea. First of all, aside from the streetcar, the second you're in the TTC system you're basically in the clear so it's very low risk to cheat the fare. Every single trip I take on the bus someone's presto card was already in negative and the driver lets them on. How many of those people never refill and do this daily?

If I'm parking and didn't pay my car is there as "evidence" the entire time, it's possible to be late and not intend to skip 10 mins of paying, the green P app is pretty terrible as you can't add less than 30 mins I believe to your parking.

I don't think making the fine identical is a fair idea. First of all, aside from the streetcar, the second you're in the TTC system you're basically in the clear so it's very low risk to cheat the fare. Every single trip I take on the bus someone's presto card was already in negative and the driver lets them on. How many of those people never refill and do this daily?

If I'm parking and didn't pay my car is there as "evidence" the entire time, it's possible to be late and not intend to skip 10 mins of paying, the green P app is pretty terrible as you can't add less than 30 mins I believe to your parking.
I've added 15 minutes with the Green P app.

I am listening to the scanner feed for the ongoing outage at Lansdowne and someone mentioned activating a "Red ball" at Ossington in the Centre track. That is preventing trains from turning back there.

Anyone know what that means?

I am listening to the scanner feed for the ongoing outage at Lansdowne and someone mentioned activating a "Red ball" at Ossington in the Centre track. That is preventing trains from turning back there.

Anyone know what that means?

Passing a signal displaying red/red and getting tripped. Signals that control interlockings are known as 'homeballs'.

Back