News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

I was muddling through the new TTC collective agreement (ratified earlier this year) recently.

Came across a few things that I don't recall being discussed in any detail:

These include the following:

View attachment 599949

I will stop here for a moment and ask @smallspy if he happens to know which two Board Periods are set to get the axe. I will also ask him to check his inbox.... LOL
I don't think that they've announced it as yet, or at least none of my operator friends of shared that info with me. I was having a discussion with one of my operator friends a couple of months ago about this, and while I suggested the summer periods get combined into one - there are generally fewer service changes in the middle of the summer, which would simplify things. He countered that it was highly unlikely - the maximum length of this "combined" board period will be 8 or 9 weeks, which makes it just slightly too short to fully cover combining the 2 summer periods (10 weeks).

Thus the natural suspicion is that they will rejig the boards to be longer in the spring, since there is more time to spread everything out.

Most of the general wage increases have been widely known.......but here a couple of sub-classes that got my attention:

View attachment 599950

What an odd bit of timing.......premiums for work starting at 1pm? I'm all for paying staff well, and I get the idea of shift premiums for late/overnight work...........
Historically, it has been hard to get people to start work later in the day or the overnight periods. This has been a way of incentivizing them - and it's worked to a degree. Later shifts are still staffed by a higher percentage of junior (read: less senior) employees, but it's not as bad as it could have been otherwise.

Dan

The transition begins..

20240930_075558.jpg
20240930_075452.jpg
20240930_075440.jpg
20240930_075421.jpg

TTC restoring 504 King service through Liberty Village months ahead of schedule

Oct. 1, 2024

Starting Sun., Oct. 6, the TTC will restore streetcar service along King St. W. between Shaw and Dufferin streets following the early completion of track renewal work, months ahead of schedule.

Originally projected to finish in December, work to replace aging streetcar tracks on King St. W. is now complete, along with final testing and commissioning of the new tracks. The track renewal work along King St. W. was part of a larger infrastructure project that also involved the replacement of an aging watermain by the City of Toronto.

Sunday will mark the end of west-end diversions implemented in February, impacting customers who take the 504 King through Liberty Village. Other streetcar and bus services adjusted to accommodate the construction will also return to their regular routes.

“I know how inconvenient these diversions have been for riders, so it’s fantastic to hear that things are getting back to normal next week and much earlier than expected,” said Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow. “The coordination between the City and TTC has been commendable, resulting in less disruption for everyone. Working together ensured the projects were completed in tandem, without the need for ongoing future road closures.”

“Thanks to the hardworking crews, engineers, and staff whose dedication and expertise have ensured that this important infrastructure upgrade was completed ahead of schedule,” said TTC Chair Jamaal Myers. “I also want to thank the residents and businesses along King Street West for their patience and understanding during the construction. Restoring streetcar service early will benefit thousands of TTC riders who rely on this route daily. We are proud of the progress made and look forward to continuing to improve our city’s transit infrastructure.”

“The reopening of King Street West ten weeks early and the return of TTC service weeks ahead of schedule is welcome news for residents of Liberty Village, and everyone getting to where they need to go across our downtown neighbourhoods,” said Toronto Deputy Mayor Councillor Ausma Malik, Ward 10 Spadina – Fork York. “Expediting construction projects on priority corridors keep our City moving, reduce frustration and show that the TTC can be the better way.”

“Thank you to everyone who has played a part in completing track renewal on King Street West ahead of schedule, and we look forward to providing even better service to our customers in the future,” said TTC Interim CEO Greg Percy. “The TTC is committed to investing in the maintenance and improvement of our transit system and will continue to work closely with the City of Toronto and other partners to ensure that necessary upgrades are completed efficiently, with minimal disruption to customers and the community.”

Starting Sun., Oct. 6:

• 501 Queen will return to regular routing to Humber Loop via Queen St., with a late evening and 301 Queen Night service to Long Branch Loop.

• 504 King and 304 King Night will resume a through-service along King St. 303 Kingston Road Night streetcars will also operate via King St.

• 508 Lake Shore weekday rush hour service will operate between Long Branch Loop and Broadview Station via King St.

• 63 Ossington buses will return to regular routing via Atlantic Ave.

Speculating, but Line 2 replacement trainset announcement? cc @Northern Light

I doubt it.

Minister of Housing is there for the Feds, not the Minister of Transport.

I think the train announcement would likely see Chrystia in town too, if not the PM.

But I could be wrong.

I doubt it.

Minister of Housing is there for the Feds, not the Minister of Transport.

I think the train announcement would likely see Chrystia in town too, if not the PM.

But I could be wrong.
The federal minister is the Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities (or his lackey). Federal transit infrastructure funding comes out of that ministry, not Transport Canada.

And the provincial minister is the Minister of Transportation rather than housing. So it is the right crowd for a transit announcement. But I don't think that a Line 2 subway car announcement would be in East York - unless they want to stand in the bus bay of Woodbine station. I'd assume they'd do that one at Greenwood!

My money is on the 3-month opening of Line 5 - though they don't mention TTC or Metrolinx. Even then, East York is an odd place for that. Don Valley station perhaps? :)

Back