News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Doug Ford apparently thinks we need a Finch subway as well (possibly before the Downtown Relief Line he wasn't clear).

http://www.newstalk1010.com/Episodes.aspx?PID=2443

He says it on the March 24 Part 1 podcast/recording. On the website its around 30 minutes and 45 seconds left in the show (timer on website counts down).

Personally being from Scarborough (and when I say this I am referring to Sheppard, Eglinton, and Finch LRT construction plans) I'd rather we just build something and at least see some improvements than build nothing and let regional politics get in the way (the strategy in Scarborough that has not worked in transit users or residents favour so far). The current plan of building LRT on Sheppard, Eglinton or Finch is fine with me.

Last edited:
??? Given the Conservatives cancelled the Eglinton subway already under construction, paying huge penalties ... and Hudak has promised to cancel the current LRT projects ... do you think Hudak is lying when he says he'll cancel the current LRT projects and defer any future rapid transit, to be built as subway ... for years?

And was Hudak lying when he also promised to cancel the same hydro plants that McGuinty cancelled?

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/09/29/tories-will-fight-for-ottawa-hudak-2

-----------------
“(This will) give more flexibility to cities like Ottawa to put it towards their priorities,” said Hudak, adding he’ll also support the $600 million allocated for Ottawa’s LRT system.

“I actually trust local decision making — I think the mayor and council will listen to the community and decide what their transportation priorities are,” he said.

------------

Hudak is a hypocrite on the LRT issue. He has no representatives in Toronto, yet he has stated that he is willing to override council on this and push forward subways. Yet, in the case of Ottawa he stated that he would respect the decision of their council to build LRT's. Likewise when Waterloo (which also has an LRT system being planned and that last I heard is funded) was having their byelection last year he never once brought up any opposition to the LRT project being built there. The guy is a total hypocrite.

Last edited:
http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/09/29/tories-will-fight-for-ottawa-hudak-2

-----------------
“(This will) give more flexibility to cities like Ottawa to put it towards their priorities,” said Hudak, adding he’ll also support the $600 million allocated for Ottawa’s LRT system.

“I actually trust local decision making — I think the mayor and council will listen to the community and decide what their transportation priorities are,” he said.

------------

Hudak is a hypocrite on the LRT issue. He has no representatives in Toronto, yet he has stated that he is willing to override council on this and push forward subways. Yet, in the case of Ottawa he stated that he would respect the decision of their council to build LRT's. Likewise when Waterloo (which also has an LRT system being planned and that last I heard is funded) was having their byelection last year he never once brought up any opposition to the LRT project being built there. The guy is a total hypocrite.

I spoke to someone and they said that many Conservatives feel that Toronto comes up with silly ideas and implement things backwards (he did not give examples) that they need an adult to make decisions for them. Hence why Hudak wants to override Toronto's decision to construct LRTs over subways

Last edited:
I spoke to someone and they said that many Conservatives feel that Toronto comes up with silly ideas and implement things backwards (he did not give examples) that they need an adult to make decisions for them. Hence why Hudak wants to override Toronto's decision to construct LRTs over subways
That makes no sense. Toronto came up with a plan to build subways, on Eglinton, Sheppard, extending the Spadina, and the downtown relief line. And the last time we elected the Conservatives they had a silly idea to cancel it all.

There's no indications the Conservatives would actually ever build these subways - especially given they promised to cut taxes and balance the budget first. At best they might build the subways already promised (DRL and Yonge extension).

thing is that the NDP can't form a government right now, and because of the PC "fear factor", they won't pull the plug until they are sure they can, Which I doubt will be anytime soon.

It is true that NDP can't form a government right now. That does not necessarily mean they fear a PC majority.

A PC majority will be bad for some of NDP supporters who depend on government's programs. But NDP politicians might take a chance, and try to overtake the Liberals as the main opposition party, with the intent to win majority in future when the tide changes and the PC's support wanes.

It is really hard to predict whether the current Liberal minority government will or will not survive till the end of term.

A PC majority will be bad for some of NDP supporters who depend on government's programs.
Not sure what that means ... programs like transit and roads?

It is really hard to predict whether the current Liberal minority government will or will not survive till the end of term.
Ah, but does that mean. If the Liberals call their own election - even early, isn't that the end of their term?

Can you please give me an estimate on the cost of cancelling the Eglinton West line (actually the launch shaft) and the estimated cost of the entire line. If I recall correctly, the cancellation cost was about $60M and the total line maybe $1B, but I stand to be corrected.

They spent $60M filling in a hole that was dug previously. This number does not include all expenditures into the project, such as digging the hole in the first place, determining where to dig it (engineering/design/ea), or other work invested but not taken advantage of.

I'm not defending the Liberals. I take issue with "Based on history, only the Liberals are the ones who would cancel such a large contract and get nothing in return."

Obviously, you know that this isn't true as you managed to provide an example which counters your own statement; a project was cancelled at some cost with nothing in return by a party other than the Liberals.

Dig through Ontario Hydro history in the 90's and you can find similar sized projects under Ontario Hydro which have experience similar costs by not being tendered in a timely manner. IMO, delaying a project resulting in a signigicantly inflated price for the same result is just as bad; poor use of money.

Last edited:
If an LRT ever "kills" the subway forever, it is only because there isn't enough ridership once it is plopped in to require its' replacement.

Of course, the Sheppard LRT will never have enough ridership. The TTC is a grid-based transit system and the LRT will be the only east-west transit route in the city without a connection to the Yonge subway line.

I like how quick people like to avoid a simple fact... More people use the Sheppard Line than the Scarborough RT. I know, it's unfair. The RT numbers are lower due to the lines many problem and would normally match or surpass Sheppard but by how much?

the RT actually has a lot of ridership potential that just doesn't happen because it is at it's max ridership levels. I would expect it's ridership levels to go up significantly after it is rebuilt as LRT. it will not only go from being a horrible transit experience to a very nice one, but it will also be built to handle many more people than the current one and will be 3.6km longer.

Doady:

I won't say never - because at the end of the day one would hope that the incremental improvements will produce an environment for further intensification of the route.

AoD

I like how quick people like to avoid a simple fact... More people use the Sheppard Line than the Scarborough RT. I know, it's unfair. The RT numbers are lower due to the lines many problem and would normally match or surpass Sheppard but by how much?

Sheppard has seen a large amount of condominium development along its entire length. Whereas the Scarborough RT passes through low density industrial areas and has no development anywhere other than Scarborough Centre. The Scarborough RT only seems busier because it has a lower capacity than Sheppard. The ridership isn't really that bad for a line that is unfinished, if you look at the ridership of other very short subway lines it is often lower.

Back