News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

In another thread, it's said Yonge gets a lot of its ridership from connecting bus/streetcar routes. The current Sheppard subway intersects with Bayview, and Leslie before ending at Don Mills. No one would argue 68 Warden and 43 Kennedy (maybe 24 Victoria Park) having higher ridership than 11 Bayview and 51 Leslie.

And perhaps have added a south service road next to the highway to accommodate the highway transfer traffic so Sheppard itself doesn't have to become too congested as a result.
I think you meant a north service road; but I don't think they've left room for that.

Sheppard itself is just a glorified feeder route, and by no means a relief route for any of the other lines.

It's also a far cry from what you'd see on the street on Yonge St in North York and even Thornhill which have more destinations to go to have more people getting on an off at those northern Yonge Line stations, so the line serves as more than a dumping ground for busses to offload passengers to go somewhere else.

I've never supported a eastward extension of the Sheppard line but the connection between Yonge and the Spadina ext makes logical sense.

Tis is not only for connectivity but also the reality that after the Spadina Line is open, Sheppard will become MUCH busier. Part of the reason it has not lived up to it's potential is that it reall is a Stubway. It's distance is too short and it really doesn't get you anywhere. As noted above it's more a drop off point for buses than a viable transit line but an extension to Spadina would greatly change that.

BurlOak........no apology for the graphic needed and I like your idea of interlining. People don't mind taking transit but they HATE transfers. The SRT/Kennedy bitch fest is proof of that. Riding SkyTrain to different areas of the city is a more pleasant experience due to interlining because it gets rid of a transfer and makes the trip that much more relaxing.

I would, however, add to you interling equation...........I would have a Sheppard interling with Spadina up to York U but only half the trains and the others I would have veer off at Finch and head west which could be done quite affordably using the Finch Hydro Corridor. A sort of Sheppard/Spadina/Finch Line.

I've never supported a eastward extension of the Sheppard line but the connection between Yonge and the Spadina ext makes logical sense.

Tis is not only for connectivity but also the reality that after the Spadina Line is open, Sheppard will become MUCH busier. Part of the reason it has not lived up to it's potential is that it reall is a Stubway. It's distance is too short and it really doesn't get you anywhere. As noted above it's more a drop off point for buses than a viable transit line but an extension to Spadina would greatly change that.

BurlOak........no apology for the graphic needed and I like your idea of interlining. People don't mind taking transit but they HATE transfers. The SRT/Kennedy bitch fest is proof of that. Riding SkyTrain to different areas of the city is a more pleasant experience due to interlining because it gets rid of a transfer and makes the trip that much more relaxing.

I would, however, add to you interling equation...........I would have a Sheppard interling with Spadina up to York U but only half the trains and the others I would have veer off at Finch and head west which could be done quite affordably using the Finch Hydro Corridor. A sort of Sheppard/Spadina/Finch Line.

One of the densest (and fastest growing) segments along the Skytrain system is Millennium line portion between Lougheed and Commercial-Broadway. Unless riders are going to New West, they, along with those coming from the Tri-Cities via the 97-B-line (and future Evergreen LIne), are transferring at C-B if they are heading to downtown (or vice-versa). That transfer is not as bad as the poorly-designed one at Kennedy (which will be improved when the ECLRT is constructed), but a transfer that many people make.

Thanks for the comment. I thought about heading west along the hydro corridor. However, the Finch West station is entirely north of Finch, which means that a 300m radius curve would probably not be possible between the station and corridor. This would mean that the line would have to tunnel under residences on the north side of the corridor, which may not be allowed and would definately add to the cost and disruption.

Re interlining Sheppard w University-Spadina line. I wouldn't run trains south from Downsview. I think simply interlining the line with the ext North can be sufficient. In my scenario alternating trains leaving VCC would head south at Downsview to Union and east at Downsview to Don Mills. So a Union train departs VCC every 10 mins, same for a Sheppard bound train. Meanwhile Downsview station on the University-Spadina line becomes a sort of short turn station for the remaining non-VCC Union Trains. So say every 3-4 out of 4-5 trains will terminate at Downsview. I believe the TTC already has plans to operate service and short turns on YUS this way.

So rider know that 80 % of the time the will find an empty train at Downsview vs full trains at Sheppard. For a rider bound to the Western end of the city this may be incentive enough to get them to travel to and transfer at Downsview. Meanwhile riders in VCC have the option to travel south into the city or East into North Yorks core.

Live from City Hall!!!!

Council votes 24 to 19 to ask the province to make the North York Relief Line a priority for phase 2 of Metrolinx funding

Congrats to Pasternak and North York. Sheppard West will happen

why wouldn't they? This is for the 2nd wave of projects, not the current one. Good luck to the provinve explaining to citizens that they're paying extra taxes that cost them between an extra 500 to 800$ extra per household for transit and that despite that , they are being denied.

Last edited:
why wouldn't they? This is for the 2nd wave of projects, not the current one. Good luck to the provinve explaining to citizens that they're paying extra taxes that cost them between an extra 500 to 800$ extra per household for transit and that despite that , they are being denied.

Well we already know that a Sheppard West extension would have low-ish ridership. I'm not saying the extension is a bad idea, but we have other more pressing priorities. I would much rather see the money go to a DRL extension to Eglinton or beyond. There would be far more ridership.

Back