News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

If we went back to the original Sheppard LRT plan now, it could be built by 2014 ... maybe 2015 with the delay. Meanwhile Ford has until 2014 to get his Sheppard subway funded somehow. Since the Sheppard subway was proposed in the mid-1980s we've already sat for a quarter-century the first time waiting for there to be a way to fund it.

If Ford finds a way to build it - all the power to him; I'm sure in half-century or so, it will be really useful. But if by the 2014 election, he hasn't found a mechanism to fund it; then the path forward is clear - waiting another quarter-century for the $$$ wouldn't make sense. Hopefully council will come to it's senses much sooner and get the Sheppard LRT back on track before the provincial and federal money vanishes. But I'm not holding my breath.

personally I agree with you, although I'd much rather have the Sheppard west link between the spadina and yonge line completed and have the sheppard east LRT done, and extend the SRT up towards sheppard/ malvern town centre.

personally I agree with you, although I'd much rather have the Sheppard west link between the spadina and yonge line completed and have the sheppard east LRT done, and extend the SRT up towards sheppard/ malvern town centre.

I would tend to agree with that. I think some type of improved bus service on Sheppard East (I'm thinking queue jump lanes), coupled with a Sheppard West extension would do the trick for the next 15-20 years. By that point, hopefully the DRL and Eglinton West extension will be built, and we can turn our funding attention back to extending the Sheppard Subway further east.

I would tend to agree with that. I think some type of improved bus service on Sheppard East (I'm thinking queue jump lanes), coupled with a Sheppard West extension would do the trick for the next 15-20 years. By that point, hopefully the DRL and Eglinton West extension will be built, and we can turn our funding attention back to extending the Sheppard Subway further east.

+1...exactly, as it stands there's no rapid link between the two lines until st. clair. adding the sheppard west extension link would do wonders for people in the Jane/finch area and for people in malvern as well.

I think a shift towards VIVA style bussing on sheppard east could dramatically improve travel times and relieve resources for other projects at minimal costs. Don't see the need to jump the gun on the eastern portion of the shepaprd Subway. People talk about STC like it's some holy land where all transit that meets there is automatically going to have a high ridership.

I agree as well. The nice thing about the transfer at Don Mills is that it would encourage people to take whatever rapid transit we build on Don Mills (DRL or DMLRT), rather than contributing to the crowding on the Yonge line. As well, the Sheppard West extension has the significant operational advantage of having direct access to Wilson Yard. Currently, tail tracks are sufficient to store Sheppard line trains, but that will definitely no longer be the case with any extension.

I think a shift towards VIVA style bussing on sheppard east could dramatically improve travel times and relieve resources for other projects at minimal costs.

In what way would that be different from the 190 Scarborough Centre Rocket that already exists?

Last edited:
I agree as well. The nice thing about the transfer at Don Mills is that it would encourage people to take whatever rapid transit we build on Don Mills (DRL or DMLRT), rather than contributing to the crowding on the Yonge line. As well, the Sheppard West extension has the significant operational advantage of having direct access to Wilson Yard. Currently, tail tracks are sufficient to store Sheppard line trains, but that will definitely no longer be the case with any extension.

In what way would that be different from the 190 Scarborough Centre Rocket that already exists?

well for one it would have LED signs telling patrons how long until their next bus arrives, giving riders piece of mind. Updated stations would give the feeling of using a higher order transit. Internet on the buses would obviously please many people....When I was in high school I had my own car which took me only 15 mins to get to school, but all those amenities and the "coolness" factor of the VIVA enticed me to use VIVA.

How else will Rob Ford find out what his position is, other than from Doug's comments? Getting it from Doug is even better than getting it from Rob - as it's first-hand rather than second-hand!

The reason I would convert the Sheppard Subway to LRT is that there is NO guarentee that the Egltinon LRT and DRL will be completed by then.. The DRL in particular could go as far north as SHeppard and As far west as Eglinton. Thats a long subway. As a result Id rather have the Sheppard Subway converted to LRT and have it completed by 2015 then to hope that all the stars allign and sheppard gets completed as a subway in 2040 (added a few years to account for the construction).

Next time Doug is trotted out to speak for the mayor, it would be funny if the media asked him where he was hiding 300 pounds of fun.

Or the media can just ignore him and demand to hear from the actual mayor? I think that would be the better approach, give Doug the cold shoulder when he tries to butt in on mayoral issues.

Or the media can just ignore him and demand to hear from the actual mayor?

That's the point. When previously asked why he was difficult to get a hold of to answer questions, the mayor said he was 'always available' and that it was 'hard to hide 300 pounds of fun'.

Or the media can just ignore him and demand to hear from the actual mayor? I think that would be the better approach, give Doug the cold shoulder when he tries to butt in on mayoral issues.

Ah if only they weren't joined at the hip/brain/gut, I'd totally agree with you.....

Do I need to chime in and reiterate why a Sheppard subway to LRT conversion will never, ever happen?

And why it's the most bone-headed idea I've ever had the mispleasure of hearing?

Back