News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yes ... at about $75 million, the cost of the St. Clair streetcar ROW is less than what City of Toronto will have to pay in penalties to get out of Transit City (let alone what it's already spent).

Richard Gilbert's article is fantastic, and I'm surprised it was published in a newspaper. I mean, it's stuff that we all know about on the forum, but not many people* outside of transportation planning/engineering can make the conclusion that a smaller station can be compensated by more frequent, automated trains. At any rate, we are constrained by the fact that we have to build 4 car stations - or something at least as long as the existing Sheppard subway.

I am also glad that Gordon Chong is at least being partially honest in telling people that Sheppard cannot work unless there's massive upzoning. Of course, Sheppard won't work unless there's road tolls, firm government commitment and probably a massive tax hike, but he can only push the average voter so far. Doug Ford (so, Rob Ford, by proxy) really stabbed Chong in the back when he dismissed the road tolling option as "nonsense", so I don't see why Gordon should play nice, or at all. The Fords have this uncanny ability to throw the people who work for them under the bus. It's a very high school locker room move, and I'm surprised more of these people don't stand up for themselves when this happens.

*I once remember this guy on the subway at rush hour complaining about the standing room only capacity. He replied by saying "Man, the TTC is so stupid. If they put more chairs [sic] in, less people would have to stand". Logic isn't exactly the forté of the average Joe.

Last edited:
I have already forced myself to the realization that any public transit improvements on Sheppard Ave will materialize in the next 10 years. I don't know why people still bother talking about it.

I was a huge advocate for the TC because I saw that as something that we, as a society, could manage to build before I start sending my children to elementary school (I currently do not have children).

This new Sheppard subway plan will most likely go through 3 years of financial planning, which if by the grace of God happens to be successful, follow on with another year of public consultation. If the public consultation passes and if Ford doesn't get defeated during the next election, which in all honesty he might, and if we didn't manage to lose the money that we had found for the subway line, we'll see another 3 years for design and site prep. By the end of year 7, if nothing goes wrong and if the city doesn't get sued by SOS II, we'll finally see the start of any type of tunnel works, which if efficiently executed without flaw will take another 4 years to complete.

If everything goes smoothly and without interruptions, we'll ride our first Sheppard extension train in the year 2022.

Good job Toronto with King Ford.

Last edited:
I took a drive along Sheppard from Birchmount to McCowan yesterday. How this corridor is going to sustain the density required to fund this subway, I have no idea. Are people assuming every single resident is going to use this subway, because the traffic is going to be a nightmare with the proposed intensification.

Id prefer TC too since it could be built today. What IF we actually get the Olympics? Will the funding that is suppose to happen on Sheppard get diverted to a DRL? And as for the traffic on sheppard due to the congestion of all these condos, thats the irony. Alot of people hated TC because they had those michigan Us and seemed not to be car friendly. Sure the transit will be underground but when you have twice as many drivers on the road because you need twice as many condos to support the subway then you didnt save the drivers any time and it cost you a fortune to do it. I hope after sheppard, after eglinton, after DRL,,, places like yorkmills/wilson, lawrence, finch, jane, don mills, will all be LRT... I hope we learn from this mistake... But whats more likely is that it will be even more congested in the future and people will be like "how can we take away any lanes from drivers"

I took a drive along Sheppard from Birchmount to McCowan yesterday. How this corridor is going to sustain the density required to fund this subway, I have no idea. Are people assuming every single resident is going to use this subway, because the traffic is going to be a nightmare with the proposed intensification.

I believe it suppose to go all the way to Scarborough Town Centre after Kennedy. I strongly believe Sheppard should have been an LRT from the start. Even with all the condo in built along Sheppard alone doesn't support a subway. It needs more businesses and office buildings in the area The density along that corridor is too weak. Eglinton shouldve have been a priority over sheppard. damm harris government!

Last edited:
I'm going to make a gutless prediction and say the Sheppard extensions will be built by 2020. :p

I have the diploma hanging in my room!...be jealous :p

I prefer mine from The Montgomery Scott School of Miracle Workers. :p

Last edited:

Back