News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

First of all that cost of around $1.3 billion in 2011 dollars for Sheppard WEST STUBway extension only applies if they're already doing Sheppard EAST STUBway extension and that'll cover most of the sunk-fix cost,.... then how much extra to so Sheppard WEST Stubway extension...

Honestly, I appreciate your use of actual data and, you clearly know what you're talking about...but there's no need to be condescending. It takes away from some of the really good points you brought up.

The province put $150 million towards studying DRL long. We can see where their heads are at.

I live downtown and I want DRL long built. I rarely go to the Danforth or Science Centre but I'm stuck at Yonge and Bloor often when the station is overcrowded or backed up. The only solution to this is DRL long. I'd say most downtowners think the same.

And the idea of only having to take the Queen streetcar to Pape or Coxwell to get downtown is also quite tantalizing.

Given that the York Region subway wouldn't be built until at least DRL short has been completed, that prospect is at least 2 election cycles away, maybe even 3.

Unfortunately, and this is sad, campaign platforms mostly focus on what they can deliver in the short term.

I believe the Liberals understand that, and that this partially motivated their decision to get the Relief Line Long shovel ready. They know the YNSE or Sheppard Extensions will not happen as long as there isn't any progress on Relief Line Long

Feds covers 50% of all public transit shovel ready projects is a huge opportunity we can't afford to miss.

Do you recall what the limit to this funding is?

The Relief Line Long is going to cost $7.8 Billion, according to last estimate. If Ottawa provides 50% of funding, then Ontario and Toronto combined only have to pay $3.9 Billion.

The Relief Line Long is going to cost $7.8 Billion, according to last estimate. If Ottawa provides 50% of funding, then Ontario and Toronto combined only have to pay $3.9 Billion.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fall-economic-update-bill-morneau-1.3831080

The centrepiece of last March's budget was a $120-billion infrastructure plan, rolling out over 10 years. With today's economic update, the government is now planning for $186 billion worth of programs, unfolding over the next 11 years.

The three categories set out in the last budget remain: public transit, green infrastructure and what the Liberals call "social infrastructure," such as affordable housing or child care facilities.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/03/22/canada-budget-2016-infrastructure-funding_n_9525260.html

The budget shows that the government plans to cover up to half the cost of public transit projects and work on water and wastewater systems like pipes and treatment plants, evidence that the traditional funding model where cities, provinces and Ottawa each cover one-third of costs is at an end.

Hence my impatience for the city to get all their major projects "shovel ready" so they can submit them to get their funding before the funds runs out. Only shovel ready projects are eligible, photo-ops announcement don't count.

Last edited:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fall-economic-update-bill-morneau-1.3831080

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/03/22/canada-budget-2016-infrastructure-funding_n_9525260.html

Hence my impatience for the city to get all their major projects "shovel ready" so they can submit them to get their funding before the funds runs out. Only shovel ready projects are eligible, photo-ops announcement don't count.

Tiger at some point they are going to cave on this. We should have held the line on no new subways besides DRL period, but that time has passed. Do you want the DRL held up? I don't. Build both the scarborough subways and lets move on.

The City Council will not pay for Sheppard subway, at least not in the next 15 years or so. The majority of councillors will feel that the BD subway extension is a good enough deal for Scarborough.

Thus, if Brown's Tories want to put the Sheppard subway on the table to win those 4 ridings along its route, they will have to fund it entirely with the provincial money. As I understand, the Federal infrastructure money will not be available for projects that have no municipal contribution.

I doubt that Tories will do that, given their inclination to cut both taxes and deficits, and the competing demand for transit funding from smaller cities where their electoral prospects are better, anyway. They might lose more support outside 416 if they give too much money to Toronto at the expense of other municipalities, and that loss might offset the benefit of getting those 4 Scarborough ridings.

My forecast: no Sheppard subway anytime soon, no matter who wins the next provincial election. On the other hand, Yonge North extension might get a boost if Tories win, and it might overtake DRL despite the fact that DRL should be first from the rational technical standpoint.

The City Council will not pay for Sheppard subway, at least not in the next 15 years or so. The majority of councillors will feel that the BD subway extension is a good enough deal for Scarborough.

Thus, if Brown's Tories want to put the Sheppard subway on the table to win those 4 ridings along its route, they will have to fund it entirely with the provincial money. As I understand, the Federal infrastructure money will not be available for projects that have no municipal contribution.

I doubt that Tories will do that, given their inclination to cut both taxes and deficits, and the competing demand for transit funding from smaller cities where their electoral prospects are better, anyway. They might lose more support outside 416 if they give too much money to Toronto at the expense of other municipalities, and that loss might offset the benefit of getting those 4 Scarborough ridings.

My forecast: no Sheppard subway anytime soon, no matter who wins the next provincial election. On the other hand, Yonge North extension might get a boost if Tories win, and it might overtake DRL despite the fact that DRL should be first from the rational technical standpoint.
Is the Yonge North Subway Extension more shovel ready right now compared to the Relief Line Short? Or do we not have any information about this yet. However, it would be logical the the YNSE would be done faster since the EA was done 8 and 3 years ago. On the other hand, the DRL didn't have a "complete" EA when planning funding was received.

They said all this about the scarborough subway, last time. We have every reason to believe the city will cave.
Is the Yonge North Subway Extension more shovel ready right now compared to the Relief Line Short? Or do we not have any information about this yet. However, it would be logical the the YNSE would be done faster since the EA was done 8 and 3 years ago. On the other hand, the DRL didn't have a "complete" EA when planning funding was received.
I don't even believe they have done an EA for Yonge North yet.

Back