News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Sheppard West Subway cost now $3B.

https://twitter.com/jpags/status/826588513227440128

It seems that there is no will for any project to find the most cost effective solution. No benefit is given to prioritizing those projects that have been optimized. This is the biggest impediment to subway (and transit) construction in Toronto.

The only way I see that one happen is if the whole line is being completed all at once, or nothing will be done

I really wish everyone could just agree on lrt on finch, yorkmills, lawrence, eglinton... And Sheppard Subway and then a long DRL. Find the price and just build.. Raise taxes or whatever.. just get the shovels in the ground tomorrow... too much politicizing about routes...

I really wish everyone could just agree on lrt on finch, yorkmills, lawrence, eglinton... And Sheppard Subway and then a long DRL. Find the price and just build.. Raise taxes or whatever.. just get the shovels in the ground tomorrow... too much politicizing about routes...

This.

There are many 'good' alternatives but at the end of the day this is a very good plan. Politicians debating new ideas and details to "save" have only cost us in the long run. Both in cost and delays. This nauseating bickering has let Politicians off the hook to not deal with the real issue which is funding for what we need now and into the future. The total bill is massive so we better be getting a well connected and extensive network.

We have to change the discussion and demand investment extensively throughout the City for all differing needs instead of being divided and fighting like mice over the crumbs our irresponsible, self serving Politicians have provided.

We're more likely to see a "package deal" than one line over the other. If there's 1 election where the Liberals needs to hold all of Toronto's seats, it's this one. Especially with the rest of the province furious over Hydro bills. DRL Long + Scarborough Subway + Sheppard is a costly but who's counting when you're up for re-election?
And who believes this stuff will get done and sway votes? Announcements are great and happen at election time. Sheppard and Finch LRT were to be up and running along with the crosstown. Ford getting elected only set it back 1 1/2 years. I would think people are a lot smarter and with more info available today are not taken in by election promises that are really so far into the future

No ones ever going to agree so just build every dang thing.. Yes we may over build but its got to be better than under building.

Sheppard West Subway cost now $3B.

https://twitter.com/jpags/status/826588513227440128

It seems that there is no will for any project to find the most cost effective solution. No benefit is given to prioritizing those projects that have been optimized. This is the biggest impediment to subway (and transit) construction in Toronto.

The only way I see that one happen is if the whole line is being completed all at once, or nothing will be done

This.

There are many 'good' alternatives but at the end of the day this is a very good plan. Politicians debating new ideas and details to "save" have only cost us in the long run. Both in cost and delays. This nauseating bickering has let Politicians off the hook to not deal with the real issue which is funding for what we need now and into the future. The total bill is massive so we better be getting a well connected and extensive network.

We have to change the discussion and demand investment extensively throughout the City for all differing needs instead of being divided and fighting like mice over the crumbs our irresponsible, self serving Politicians have provided.

Something needs to happen, because we are near the breaking point. This is ridiculous.

No ones ever going to agree so just build every dang thing.. Yes we may over build but its got to be better than under building.

Except you can't get anyone to agree to pay for it all either, and besides this is like a tacit acknowledgement that you can't practice transit planning based on evidence ever, which isn't a good road to go down on.

AoD

Something needs to happen, because we are near the breaking point. This is ridiculous.

Agreed!
  • We need to build all the lines at the same time.
  • Then get after a sales tax and other city revenue tools for Toronto that won't jeopardize 905 votes for the province.
  • Get all the lines (subway, LRT, Streetcar extensions) shovel ready to make them eligible to the Federal Infrastructure program (50% paid for by Ottawa)
  • Borrow the funds to start the projects by issuing bonds with the revenue tools as a mean to pay it back while interest rates are still low, while Ottawa and QP funding arrives.
We just need a council with the political courage to see it through. Let's finish the damn network once and for all and enter the 21st Century already

How can there be Yonge subway expansion yet no DRL? I just want the TTC and Toornto city council to say no to the Yonge expansion like they should have with the Vaughan (Spadina extension). But you need someone with real guts to do that
Yonge should end at Steeles. If it ever went beyond Steeles, Relief Line is a better choice...but I still think that GO responsibility, not TTC

I just want the TTC and Toornto city council to say no to the Yonge expansion like they should have with the Vaughan (Spadina extension). But you need someone with real guts to do that.

The TTC and city are free to say "no" if they want. But then they don't get the money for the transit project. What they aren't free to do is demand the money from the provincial government but insist on building projects the way they see fit - so with Spadina for example, if the city wanted to build a subway only as far as York University, they would've had to pay for it on their own.

Except you can't get anyone to agree to pay for it all either, and besides this is like a tacit acknowledgement that you can't practice transit planning based on evidence ever, which isn't a good road to go down on.

AoD

We are either going this route to build quality public transit or we are not. The Fed and the Province should have a long term funding plan in place so the average Joe form packed subway-ville wards or transit desert neglected suburbia wards doesn't have their local Politician down playing and throwing mud at other wards to avoid paying for the select few wards who have won the three decade lottery and have received the ill planned, limited infrastructure dollars that were cast on the table.

Large areas of our City suburbs are in dire need of transit investment, our current transit system is in dire need of re-investment and relief from growth surrounding this legacy transit investment. Its all beyond priority and without a funding plan all we will do is fight and play witness the most polarizing Politics as there will always be opportunity to tap into the larger numbers left behind of the latest plan and all well get is a new shiny fancy "napkin" idea every election on how to spread the menial funds to select parts of the City. All of this caused by the residual anger from not having a funding plan to address the various unique needs across the City

Last edited:
You don't give them a choice. This is a high level decision. We are either going this route to build quality public transit or we are not. The Fed and the Province should have a long term funding plan in place so the average Joe favorite Politicians isn't fighting and throwing mud to avoid paying for the select few who receive the limited infrastructure dollars on the table.

The Fed and Prov also have a 4 year election cycle, where transit might or might not be an issue, and they might or might not need your seat.

AoD

When these subway solutions in the suburbs are costing over $600M/km, then DRL when finally designed will likely cost close to $1B/km. We need cheaper solutions or else nothing will happen.

I support subways in the outer cores of the city but it should be cut and cover as much as possible and/or elevated. Tunnels downtown is 100% justify, not Sheppard, Scarborough and don't get me started with York Region.

Back