News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Rob Ford did say he was going to stop the Gravy Train. It's just that the Gravy Train will be stopping at Victoria Park, Warden, Kennedy, Midland and Scarborough Centre.

Asking the province for money to build the Sheppard Subway extension, is the same as asking for taxpayers' money. It's the same pocket.

This from a mayor who avoids pubic transit, does not know the difference between a streetcar and a light rail vehicle, and needs an automobile to get a Timbit instead of walking to a library.

Um, there IS no difference between a streetcar and an LRV. Not really.

There is a difference between streetcar routes and LRT routes though.

Um, there IS no difference between a streetcar and an LRV. Not really.

There is a difference between streetcar routes and LRT routes though.

There is a difference. Trams/Streetcars can be built for lower speed running, whereas LRV's can be built for high speed running. If BRT advocates can be picky with jargon, so can LRT advocates.

Last edited:
Ford can get roughly $3B in Sheppard funding tomorrow by announcing Eglinton's Eastern component will be above ground as per the original plan.

Yeah, this is the most amazing part of the story. He has publicly made the Sheppard extension one of his top priorities; his plan is obviously faling apart; and he has an equally obvious fix at hand, which can give him two new transit lines instead of one for the same cost. Yet, he won't budge.

Being both incompetent and stubborn is a lot worse than being just incompetent. Too bad, three more years before we can actually have a transit policy.

There is a simple solution for Ford, acquire a "promise" from the Cons or NDP for funding or make sure McGuinty gets re-elected and dip into the "promised" infrastructure fund.

The think the press release for the ground breaking of the Sheppard subway should start like "Once upon a time...":D

Yeah, this is the most amazing part of the story. He has publicly made the Sheppard extension one of his top priorities; his plan is obviously faling apart; and he has an equally obvious fix at hand, which can give him two new transit lines instead of one for the same cost. Yet, he won't budge.

Being both incompetent and stubborn is a lot worse than being just incompetent. Too bad, three more years before we can actually have a transit policy.

I'd be pissed if Eglinton was placed above-ground, and so would the rest of the constituents on Eglinton. They don't want an elevated subway in-front or behind their house.

I'd be pissed if Eglinton was placed above-ground, and so would the rest of the constituents on Eglinton. They don't want an elevated subway in-front or behind their house.

Would you support an above-ground line if it meant that it could be longer or that some of the money saved could go to Sheppard?

Would you support an above-ground line if it meant that it could be longer or that some of the money saved could go to Sheppard?

I personally in my opinion, would not support that proposition. Why would I want an elevated subway near me so Sheppard can have an underground subway? Once again, this is just my opinion, not what the general population may choose.

Im sure if Eglinton was elevated, it would free up some funding from the Province. At the same time if Sheppard was also elevated the cost of the subway would be reduced. If both took place then I'm sure both lines could be built.

Im ok with Eglinton being built elevated after Vic park and after Jane to the airport. However if Eglinton goes elevated then it should be contingent on the Sheppard Subway being converted to LRT and then run elevated as well. If elevated becomes the solution it should be implimented in both situations. And it also is rediculous that Eglinton have to cut back its spending to subsidize a SUBWAY system which we all know if under served and will continue to be underserved... Elevated could also be a solution to the Jane LRT situation south of Eglinton where the street is to narrow for in median service.. This too is the situation from Bloor to Eglinton on the don mills side. How about a JANE and Don Mills LRT that goes Elevated at each section from Eglinton south and connect with eachother through the downtown core somewhere. A One way street like richmond or addelaide would be perfect for this. I know its not a perfect DRL but its a far cheaper one...

Im ok with Eglinton being built elevated after Vic park and after Jane to the airport. However if Eglinton goes elevated then it should be contingent on the Sheppard Subway being converted to LRT and then run elevated as well. If elevated becomes the solution it should be implimented in both situations. And it also is rediculous that Eglinton have to cut back its spending to subsidize a SUBWAY system which we all know if under served and will continue to be underserved... Elevated could also be a solution to the Jane LRT situation south of Eglinton where the street is to narrow for in median service.. This too is the situation from Bloor to Eglinton on the don mills side. How about a JANE and Don Mills LRT that goes Elevated at each section from Eglinton south and connect with eachother through the downtown core somewhere. A One way street like richmond or addelaide would be perfect for this. I know its not a perfect DRL but its a far cheaper one...

I doubt you will ever see an elevated transit line in the downtown core. A lot of political capital has been invested in the "tear down the gardiner because it cuts the city" argument for people to turn around and say "build another physical barrier so we can run a LRT on it"

I doubt you will ever see an elevated transit line in the downtown core. A lot of political capital has been invested in the "tear down the gardiner because it cuts the city" argument for people to turn around and say "build another physical barrier so we can run a LRT on it"

The gardiner is becoming less and less of a barrier with the condos closing around it... In fact I think alot of torontonians are beinginning to realize that even if the gardiner disappeared the condos will still own the water front. Also a elevated LRT line would be the equivelant of two lines of traffic above any given street. That is not at all comparible to the gardiner which is 6 lanes wide or the rail tracks which isabout 4 lanes wide.. An elevated LRT line would barely cause any disturbance especially on one way streets wihtout much pedestrian traffic such as richmond.

The gardiner is becoming less and less of a barrier with the condos closing around it... In fact I think alot of torontonians are beinginning to realize that even if the gardiner disappeared the condos will still own the water front. Also a elevated LRT line would be the equivelant of two lines of traffic above any given street. That is not at all comparible to the gardiner which is 6 lanes wide or the rail tracks which isabout 4 lanes wide.. An elevated LRT line would barely cause any disturbance especially on one way streets wihtout much pedestrian traffic such as richmond.

Don't get me wrong....I am not opposed to the idea at all.....probably because I never saw the Gardiner as the barrier that some people suggested it was....as you note the condos were there (and in growing numbers) but, even more so, in the downtown it would not matter if you took the gardiner down because it runs sorta parallel with another, necessary, elevated transit route which is the rail tracks....I have also thought that elevated things are not really barriers as long as there are attractive/welcoming routes for pedestrians to walk under/through (great improvements being made with the Simcoe/York/Bay routes under the tracks are evidence of that).

That said, I am not a very political person and try to see both sides of any issue...but others often take positions and do what they can to defend them and all I was saying is that there are people who have made taking down the gardiner a lifeswork and they use the cars and barriers argument (mostly)....by supporting a transit barrier they would be risking attack from the equally dogmatic people who support the gardiner at all costs...that is all I was saying.

Back