News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Call me crazy, but that seems like the perfect location for a 6 storey building. Honestly, while I respect the fact that he worked on fixing up his place, I mean c'mon really? Just come out and say 'hey I'm a nimby and I don't want a 6 storey building beside me' I supposed a 4 storey building might be more contextual, but if the city is serious about increasing density this is a good start.
Image8.jpg

It would be nice if the city centre population grew by ~7K every 4 years. I wonder how the growth will look in 5 years with the way the economy is going?
I think the growth we have seen is more a cultural/societal shift towards inner city living than a direct correlation to our economy. The inner city housing market has been fairly resilient and there hasn't been a large exodus of people in relation to what we've seen on the commercial side of things.

That looks great. A +15 would definitely be nice in the location as well. Hopefully there's no complaints against it from city officials because of "decrease in street foot traffic". Always found that argument ridiculous considering Calgary's cold climate.
That +15 already exists.
1547830623350.png

Also, nice. Hopefully closer to the $100 million mark, sorta like Edmonton's central library redo, than closer to the RAM's budget. Will be interesting to see how it is reconfigured now that the archive space is being moved up to UCalgary.

Given what was built in the last decade (Central Library, National Music Centre, Telus Spark, Heritage Park Gasoline Alley, Sports Hall of Fame), I think it is entirely viable to do Glenbow, Contemporary Calgary and Arts Commons by 2030 plus some smaller ones.

Last edited:
I think the growth we have seen is more a cultural/societal shift towards inner city living than a direct correlation to our economy. The inner city housing market has been fairly resilient and there hasn't been a large exodus of people in relation to what we've seen on the commercial side of things.
Youth plays a large factor. Every year in Calgary thousands of younger people decide it's time to move out, and many (if not most) prefer the core. A young couple starting out can work retail jobs and still afford to rent one of the new buildings downtown. The rent on a downtown apartment isn't much higher than one out in the middle of nowhere so you can see why the places are filling up.

Given what was built in the last decade (Central Library, National Music Centre, Telus Spark, Heritage Park Gasoline Alley, Sports Hall of Fame), I think it is entirely viable to do Glenbow, Contemporary Calgary and Arts Commons by 2030 plus some smaller ones.
And some day a full sized dedicated art gallery. Contemporary Calgary is a good start, but we could use a full on art gallery in a facility comparable to the NMC or Library.

This is an often over-looked strength of inner city, medium/high density neighbourhoods, they can adapt quickly to changes in demand and consumer preference. Lots of apartments, lots of ages, lots of places to buy, lots of places to rent, lots of price points all lead to a robust, diverse neighbourhood that weathers changes or declines in one segment or another. The inner city also acts as a landing point for many newcomers that aren't familiar to Calgary due to availability of rentals and lack of distinguishing features to be able to choose between the Hawkwoods, Strathconas, Mackenzie Townes of the world when first moving here.

With lots of choices and density, the inner city has a kind of demographic continuity/density that makes walkable retail feasible and prevents collapses in population/demand as is happening in our 2 ring suburban communities.

Youth plays a large factor. Every year in Calgary thousands of younger people decide it's time to move out, and many (if not most) prefer the core. A young couple starting out can work retail jobs and still afford to rent one of the new buildings downtown. The rent on a downtown apartment isn't much higher than one out in the middle of nowhere so you can see why the places are filling up.
Agreed. A huge strength Calgary has is that while it's urban environment is maturing and improving, it remains affordable to a diverse group of demographics. One thing I noticed living in Inglewood for example, was the number of young families out and about on Halloween.

I like the make up of Calgary's core (Downtown and Betline) and inner city communities. Having spent quite a bit of time in SF and LA I've come to appreciate the diversity of Calgary's core and its progress. There are nice vibrant parts of LA and SF, but the cost of living in those areas is very exclusive. Young millennials working retail or couples with kids would be excluded.The only young people living in the good areas are ones with rich parents.

And some day a full sized dedicated art gallery. Contemporary Calgary is a good start, but we could use a full on art gallery in a facility comparable to the NMC or Library.

Aren't they renovating the Planetarium for a full sized Art Gallery?

That +15 already exists.
View attachment 171423

Also, nice. Hopefully closer to the $100 million mark, sorta like Edmonton's central library redo, than closer to the RAM's budget. Will be interesting to see how it is reconfigured now that the archive space is being moved up to UCalgary.

Don't forget both the Decidedly Jazz Danceworks (Kahanoff 2) over the past 10 years, and the future expansion of the Alberta Ballet for the next 10! :D

Back