News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Airdrie has a downtown?
Airdrie has a main street and town centre area that has some good potential.

Image12.jpg
Image11.jpg

Image13.jpg

Attachments

• Image12.jpg
    Image12.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 388
  • Image11.jpg
    Image11.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 384
  • Image13.jpg
    Image13.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 377
I was being sarcastic lol. Airdrie has the worst main street I think I've seen, I really dislike that "city", feels more like a large suburb with about half the character. Okotoks and Cochrane both have a decent main street, but Airdrie's is anchored by a terrible mall. Would never ever live in Airdrie.

I was being sarcastic lol. Airdrie has the worst main street I think I've seen, I really dislike that "city", feels more like a large suburb with about half the character. Okotoks and Cochrane both have a decent main street, but Airdrie's is anchored by a terrible mall. Would never ever live in Airdrie.

Agreed. I use to work in Airdrie. The traffic was horrendous. IMO it has none of the benefit's of a small town and few of the amenities of a city. Heck! There isn't even a book store in the whole town.

I'd love to see a ~10K capacity arena put in Airdrie. Then the Flames could move the Heat into their own back yard like a few other NHL teams have done with their AHL affiliates. Instead of having it in Stockton, CA. Players have been complaining that hey feel unsafe there. As an added bonus, the Airdrie Heat could wear the slick old Atlanta Flames logo.

I suspect that as Airdrie continues to grow it will begin to define its own center of gravity and identity. Being that it has grown so fast, it still has the vibe of a Calgary suburb.

Agreed. I use to work in Airdrie. The traffic was horrendous. IMO it has none of the benefit's of a small town and few of the amenities of a city. Heck! There isn't even a book store in the whole town.

Other than a book store what other amenities is the city missing? Having grown up here it has improved by leaps and bounds in all aspects.

The province is dragging heels on infrastructure as we need 2 more overpasses between Airdrie and Balzac also with our stupid train crossings being grade separated, but that is on the city and CP I believe. Once 40th ave is complete which the city and a local developer have already built as far as they can without the province then they will work on train crossings. 40th ave and extending Main Street will be a huge aid on the traffic issue alone.

I tend to think of Airdrie as a fast growing teenager learning to fit into its new size, it take some time for things to shake out and settle in. I agree 100% that it has improved by leaps and bounds. I remember Airdrie as being a lot of houses and residents but no businesses. That has definitely changed.

I think it has a ways to go, but there is also opportunity for Airdrie. Like Surreal pointed out the downtown has potential, and it will come, just a matter of when.

I'd love to see a ~10K capacity arena put in Airdrie. Then the Flames could move the Heat into their own back yard like a few other NHL teams have done with their AHL affiliates. Instead of having it in Stockton, CA. Players have been complaining that hey feel unsafe there. As an added bonus, the Airdrie Heat could wear the slick old Atlanta Flames logo.
That would be interesting, though I imagine there would be a long, drawn out funding debate similar to what Calgary is in now.

That would be interesting, though I imagine there would be a long, drawn out funding debate similar to what Calgary is in now.

Too true, but I would hope it wouldn't be quite as bitter because there hopefully wouldn't be quite as much at stake. The counter party would still be the Flames if my imagined Airdrie arena would be meant to host the Flames AHL squad. We all know how they roll.

Just spit-balling, maybe they could put it near the intersection of Yankee Valley Boulevard and Centre North and upgrade some highway infrastructure along with it. That curved line I drew which in no way matches an existing road could serve as the start of a ring road or a bypass highway.

upload_2017-7-12_13-48-27.png

Other than a book store what other amenities is the city missing? Having grown up here it has improved by leaps and bounds in all aspects.

The province is dragging heels on infrastructure as we need 2 more overpasses between Airdrie and Balzac also with our stupid train crossings being grade separated, but that is on the city and CP I believe. Once 40th ave is complete which the city and a local developer have already built as far as they can without the province then they will work on train crossings. 40th ave and extending Main Street will be a huge aid on the traffic issue alone.

It's nice to have the perspective of someone who actually lives there. Airdrie comes up a lot when we're talking about the CMA for obvious reasons. My Fiancee's grand parents live there and visiting them is the only time I'm in Airdrie. I really don't have a proper feel for the city.

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-12_13-48-27.png
    upload_2017-7-12_13-48-27.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 579
I also don't have a proper feel for the city, never really spent much time there, guess I should be a little nicer in my criticism.

It's only fair, but I think some degree of harshness is warranted. I've been to and spent time in Cochrane, Bragg Creek and Okotoks and they're all much smaller. There simply isn't anything in Airdrie that calls me up there. We only go for family stuff, always to the same place and we're out a hurry. I've been to various different parts of those other three for multiple reasons on multiple occasions, sometimes just for the heck of it. I've never felt that way about Airdrie.

So, it's partly our fault for being ignorant of what Airdrie has to offer, but I think it's much more Airdrie's fault for not making a reasonable case for us to figure out what is actually up there.

Last edited:
I think one thing that really hurts Airdrie from other peoples perspective and they don't even know it is that we have a shitty creek running through town instead of a river! If we had a nice river valley and pathway system within the river area it would be good. Also we aren't (really)near the mountains. With the growth to the west though we are about to start getting more hilly terrain and also there are some valleys that I really hope that the city takes advantage of and creates some valley parks or something. We do have Nose Creek Park and it is being rehabbed right now with new amphitheater going in.

Old:
https://www.airdrie.ca/index.cfm?serviceID=651

Being built:
https://www.airdrie.ca/index.cfm?serviceID=233

It actually looks like it might be pretty cool, built out over the Nose Creek pond.

Insult away on Airdrie, it deserves it!

Lanark Lake is an actual lake community that I think may be just in ground breaking timeline right now, if they can actually build it, it will be a very nice addition to the city.
http://calgaryherald.com/life/homes/new-homes/melcor-launches-airdries-first-lake-community

This has been brought up before and city council already said they have no appetite and would need private investors to build such an arena.

Too true, but I would hope it wouldn't be quite as bitter because there hopefully wouldn't be quite as much at stake. The counter party would still be the Flames if my imagined Airdrie arena would be meant to host the Flames AHL squad. We all know how they roll.

Just spit-balling, maybe they could put it near the intersection of Yankee Valley Boulevard and Centre North and upgrade some highway infrastructure along with it. That curved line I drew which in no way matches an existing road could serve as the start of a ring road or a bypass highway.

View attachment 114836

It's nice to have the perspective of someone who actually lives there. Airdrie comes up a lot when we're talking about the CMA for obvious reasons. My Fiancee's grand parents live there and visiting them is the only time I'm in Airdrie. I really don't have a proper feel for the city.

If you look on the east side of QE2 there is a little white line of a road just ending there heading west, that is the future 40th ave overpass location. 40th ave will eventually meet up with Centre North but I think further south. Also slightly south of your line will be what I believe is 52nd ave overpass which will be a true overpass, 40th ave is just a half overpass similar to Beddington but with both east and west accessibility.

Ok yeah, I've got them figured. Thanks for the explanation. Airdrie is really pushing south.

Back