News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Airdrie needs a better bike path connection to Calgary. In fact, [not kidding] we should make a well-labelled bike route from Calgary to Edmonton.

It's already planned. The TransCanada trail should connect Edmonton to Calgary.

It's already planned. The TransCanada trail should connect Edmonton to Calgary.
It's not built nor is it planned to be direct:

https://thegreattrail.ca/explore-the-map/

upload_2017-7-13_15-53-39.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-13_15-53-39.png
    upload_2017-7-13_15-53-39.png
    431.2 KB · Views: 386
That's just laziness needed to have the most direct route.
Yeah I wish we applied the same logic to highway development. Burning extra fuel is good for the economy!

I am excited about the Mattany Greenway project that connects the regional pathways all around the city. It's not fast nor direct to anything, but when finished will be a near continuous pathway of ~150km connecting the far out parks and utility corridors. Should be a pretty nice feature.

I was being facetious.

However, since you responded, I would think biking the 300 kms to Edmonton over driving is more about the journey than getting from point A to point B as efficiently as possible. They could pave a bike path inexpensively next to HWY 2 but, it would be a miserable experience.

I was being facetious.

However, since you responded, I would think biking the 300 kms to Edmonton over driving is more about the journey than getting from point A to point B as efficiently as possible. They could pave a bike path inexpensively next to HWY 2 but, it would be a miserable experience.
Agreed. But that weird 50km+ detour to the east from Airdrie seems excessive to be anything more than a pretty line on the map that no reasonable cycle route would ever sustain.

All they need is a little path beside centre st, 8th st, or even highway 2. There are partial paths along all of these routes, but none connect all the way.

Sorry, just got back from Germany where the entire country is connected with separated bike paths and this time of your you see many people long distance touring. I saw families of 4 with panniers for week+ hauls. Not only are there excellent routes, but sign posts with kms to adjacent communities, maps, and public washrooms. It would be cheap and easy to do that anywhere. Now that Calgary and Edmonton's network is getting pretty good, add a bit more signage (including labelling public washrooms) and extend throughout Alberta. One route i would especially like to see completed is Calgary to Banff along the Bow. Currently, it is some of the most scenic trail in the world (even the part along the Bow in Calgary) but there are a few small gaps. I'm convinced that this century we ought to build bike paths next to every highway. In Germany, they usually use a curb and the bike path itself is on red asphalt, but in Alberta a separating ditch could do the trick.

Here is Germany's network: http://www.wegedetektiv.de/radnetz/#9/48.3069/8.9552

Last edited:
As for the TCC and other long-distance trails, it's great to have a well-signed coast to coast connector with regular rest stops, but cycling is not like taking a train or driving. Cyclists need to take the most direct route, and they need a network that connects every home in the country, not just 1 corridor through major cities. Even when complete, the TCC will only be a minor element in bicycle transportation, though a major pipedream challenge to complete and a national symbol.

All they need is a little path beside centre st, 8th st, or even highway 2. There are partial paths along all of these routes, but none connect all the way.

Sorry, just got back from Germany where the entire country is connected with separated bike paths and this time of your you see many people long distance touring. I saw families of 4 with panniers for week+ hauls. Not only are there excellent routes, but sign posts with kms to adjacent communities, maps, and public washrooms. It would be cheap and easy to do that anywhere. Now that Calgary and Edmonton's network is getting pretty good, add a bit more signage (including labelling public washrooms) and extend throughout Alberta. One route i would especially like to see completed is Calgary to Banff along the Bow. Currently, it is some of the most scenic trail in the world (even the part along the Bow in Calgary) but there are a few small gaps. I'm convinced that this century we ought to build bike paths next to every highway. In Germany, they usually use a curb and the bike path itself is on red asphalt, but in Alberta a separating ditch could do the trick.

Here is Germany's network: http://www.wegedetektiv.de/radnetz/#9/48.3069/8.9552

Yeah, Germany is also 2/3rds the size of Alberta with 80 million people.

O
Agreed. But that weird 50km+ detour to the east from Airdrie seems excessive to be anything more than a pretty line on the map that no reasonable cycle route would ever sustain.
Orange is Gap in Trail apparently to the legend. Really, both 2A and 2 are great for cycling. Not great for not being near traffic.

Yeah, Germany is also 2/3rds the size of Alberta with 80 million people.
Alberta has 3x as many highways as Germany (~31000 k , of which 25000k is paved vs ~13000k). It's not just density and context; it's priorities. Naturally, Alberta prospered first because of the rail way, then because of roads, and in the future it will prosper because of the high quality of life it can offer. In my opinion, active transportation for commuting and recreation is a low hanging fruit.

Also, did you know Quebec has 5000km of bike routes?

More on this topic: https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.2717129

Last edited:
There's plenty of uninhabited space to cross in Alberta to get from point A to point B. It actually makes sense there would be more roads with highway speeds in Alberta. Biking those long distances doesn't make sense. Germans tend to live in small connected villages and towns no more than a few kilometres apart from one another. There isn't one square inch that hasn't been touch there. A tree falls deep in the woods and someone will hear it. The next day, crews will be cleaning up the debris and assessing the damage to other trees. They would positively freak out if you abandoned them with a bike somewhere in the vast open spaces between Calgary and Red Deer.

So Quebec has 5000km of bike routes. It has twice the population. Calgary alone must have around 1000 kilometres. Edmonton probably has close to what Calgary has. 5000 really isn't that much either

I'm not saying Alberta ought to have better lanes than Germany or the Netherlands, but to me it seems (perhaps naively) easy and relatively in expensive to create a few well-signed rural cycling corridors. Start with a loop through Calgary-Banff-Jasper-Edmonton-Calgary. 1100km, much of which already has something of a path, all of which is well-serviced. Canmore-Jasper could be country skiing in winter. There are many people in the world looking for somewhere they can spend $10000 for 5-7 days of cycling. We may not have vineyards, but the mountain parks are unsurpassed. If parts of the route are successful, extend the network. I just think it would be great to have some basic spine safely connecting the many existing trails.

Back