News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Residential development is the right move, and as awkward as subsidies can be, this is far from the worst example of how distortions create sub-optimal outcomes in urban development. We still subsidize sprawl, for example, and that outcome creates car-dependent, inefficient, expensive neighbourhoods and lifestyles for everyone involved.

I like @Surrealplaces comment on the permanency of this kind of investment in residential conversion. That's 400 units of long-term stock that will stick around for decades. Festivals, operating subsidizes for retail and other less permanent investments don't have that long-term impact.

On permanency, I would like to see (at least) one single, end-to-end, high-quality, pedestrian-centric corridor be created from river to river through the core. Not just some repaved sidewalks, but real people-attracting quality - think a updated Steven Ave or the river pathway connecting direction from the core through the Beltline. Fully/mostly convert to pedestrian travel. End-to-end with no stupid gaps or "needs to balance with car users" that undermines the whole pedestrian experience and point of the project. Drivers will be fine - there's the whole rest of our overbuilt downtown road network they can have.

I think we underestimate/don't model how much pedestrian traffic is generating by the quality of the route. You see this in already with city centre locals/regulars - locals always cut towards the parks rather than the ugly streets, they know where they won't have to wait as long for signals, many take the river pathway even if it's longer just because it's the only nice place in blocks etc.

We also see this in Chinatown and it's long-term struggles. It's lack of integration into the pathway system a block away with tens of thousands of users on a busy day is a wild missed opportunity. A big reason is that for decades you can't really tell Chinatown is there or how to get to it because the experience of even crossing a single road absolutely sucks relative to the high-quality of the pathway. Make a better, more inviting, more integrated and more intuitive pedestrian connections and foot traffic would rapidly increase.

Quality of experience matters.

The 13 Avenue SW upgrades from a decade ago between 4th Street and MacLeod are a perfect small example with huge boost in walking traffic, likely higher than nearby 12 Avenue SW, despite 12th having all the shops, density and offices.

All corridors deserve far better pedestrian experiences everywhere in the core, but 8 Street SW, 5 Street SW and 1 St SE are the obvious candidates to me for an end-to-end refurbishment on the scale of a Stephen Ave 2.0 or urban-format River Pathway 2.0.

The mechanics of how to do it are all just pushing through the fear of change and arguing with transportation engineers clinging to wildly incorrect pre-pandemic traffic flow models. Toss all that stuff and build a core public realm network actually for people.

A DP for the upgrades to the Canada Wilds section of the zoo has been submitted. I think this was included in the Provincial budget, but I haven't seen/heard any details about it. Anybody else know what to expect?
It's a $31 million revitalization of the entire Canadian Wilds area and includes the addition of a new Polar Bear exhibit. The Polar Bear exhibit is expected to be complete in fall 2023.

Last edited:
Would it be any better though? Events can be subsidized to bring people to the core, but downtown's long time issue of not keeping people downtown doesn't really get solved. People come in for the events and leave when they're done. The minute the events and activation etc..aren't subsidized they'll stop happening, and we're back to where we are but with nothing permanent to show for it. My biggest issue with funding the conversions is that it competes against other residential developments.

I'm not saying residential conversion are the answer either, but it is a permanent one time cost. I don't want to see the city fund 20 conversion projects, but a half dozen can't hurt. Either that or subsidize one big project like Bow Valley Square.

I feel like a number of things need to happen for downtown to be vibrant. We need residential, we need retail, we need infrastructure improvements, we needs events and activities. We also need to deal with crime. I know some don't think it's an issue, but it is for the average person.

We're basically trying to liven up a giant office park that has crime issues. Sometimes I wonder if it is something that can actually be done, short of dumping a ton of money at it.
Unfortunately, the city's plan is to fund 20+ more conversion projects, and will use the 'success' of this current crop (the projects existing), to justify the rest.

Two hotels would do that, but more than two and it loses its effect, as you can only add as many hotel rooms as the market needs. 20 residential buildings would have a lasting impact on downtown. I'm also not understanding how 20 projects adding up to $500 million when three projects are $30 million. It should be ~$200 Million no? $200 million is a lot of money, but in relative terms it's not much, compared to other projects ($5 Billion for the Green line)
The city's plan is for a $ amount, buildings is speculative. As for hotels vs. residential: hotels have an outsized impact because the occupiers are spending more per night than residents on discretionary local consumption. At least 10x. Same with students to a lesser degree (they may have less money overall, but they're spending more of it in their immediate vicinity)

And the issue with the dollar amount is it is 100% city money. Because other levels of government aren't going to subsidize for no public purpose. It could be used for operations, not capital.

At the crux isn't hotels vs. residential vs. activations.

It is: are residential conversions really the best we can do when there is a pot of $75-$500 million to spend on activating the downtown?

I completely agree that improved retail could really benefit downtown. We already have a great space for it with the Core, which has amazing transit access being right beside the mall (compared to blocks away at Chinook) and accessible by both the blue and red line, but the leasing of stores has always been shit. Ivanhoe seems to have positioned this mall to only cater to the office lunch crowd with a tenant mix only appealing to middle aged corporate dwellers. I am always shocked when I go to the Eaton Centre in Toronto because the mall is literally bustling with youth on a weekend and we have the opportunity to do something similar on a smaller scale in our city. I think the following changes would do wonders for the mall and add vibrancy back to downtown after 5pm:

1. Extend mall hours past 5pm
2. Lease stores that target teenagers and young adults (ie. Zara, Uniqlo, Apple, Nike, Adidas), but maybe this is an issue with Ivanhoe not having the same tenant relationships/access as Cadillac Fairview
3. Improve integration at the 3rd Street C-Train station by creating a more grand main entrance that lets people know this is a mall and not just an office lobby
4. Change the name back to TD Square because the Core is confusing and generic
5. Build off the momentum of being a retail draw by offering entertainment options (ie. bring back movie theatres at Bankers Hall or add something like the Rec Room, which you see in other malls)

It's just very frustrating that we're so close but yet so far

Aspen is showing a different (better) design for the Palliser One conversion:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc3j4fKP92F/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

I still think that public dollars should not be subsidizing private developments.

That looks way better! Hopefully that's the route they take.
So after they finish recladding the tower, they want to rip a bunch of it off again?

That's exactly what I thought. At least in the above design they rip off less of that cladding.

Quality of experience matters.

The 13 Avenue SW upgrades from a decade ago between 4th Street and MacLeod are a perfect small example with huge boost in walking traffic, likely higher than nearby 12 Avenue SW, despite 12th having all the shops, density and offices.

All corridors deserve far better pedestrian experiences everywhere in the core, but 8 Street SW, 5 Street SW and 1 St SE are the obvious candidates to me for an end-to-end refurbishment on the scale of a Stephen Ave 2.0 or urban-format River Pathway 2.0.

The mechanics of how to do it are all just pushing through the fear of change and arguing with transportation engineers clinging to wildly incorrect pre-pandemic traffic flow models. Toss all that stuff and build a core public realm network actually for people.

For starters, can we push car-free Stephen Ave out a few blocks further? There's already a fair bit of retail, restaurants, and Globe Theatre up to 6 St SW.

There's a parkade in the middle of the next block (not sure if it has alternate access), so maybe you have to ease into 1-lane 1-way at that point.

I agree with all of the streets you mention, but I wonder if it would be better to go all-in on 1 St SW car-free (ideally from 17ave to Sien Lok Park)?

The other thing I wonder about is how the eventual West Village and West Downtown developments + Bow Tr realignment will play into all of this. Let's accept for a moment that at least one pair of overbuilt 1-way roads is probably inevitable; perhaps Bow EB should actually run into 5 Ave, so 9 Ave can become 2-way. This would kill any argument that 8 Ave needs to serve WB cars, and destroy one major barrier between DT and Beltline. While the CP tracks remain a physical issue, I'd argue they are actually a lot less hostile than 9 Ave.

My guess is that it's called The Core because the mall is eventually meant to be more than just TD Square. TD Square signage can still be seen beside The Core signage in places. I'd love to see Bankers Hall merged into The Core

For starters, can we push car-free Stephen Ave out a few blocks further? There's already a fair bit of retail, restaurants, and Globe Theatre up to 6 St SW.

There's a parkade in the middle of the next block (not sure if it has alternate access), so maybe you have to ease into 1-lane 1-way at that point.

I agree with all of the streets you mention, but I wonder if it would be better to go all-in on 1 St SW car-free (ideally from 17ave to Sien Lok Park)?

The other thing I wonder about is how the eventual West Village and West Downtown developments + Bow Tr realignment will play into all of this. Let's accept for a moment that at least one pair of overbuilt 1-way roads is probably inevitable; perhaps Bow EB should actually run into 5 Ave, so 9 Ave can become 2-way. This would kill any argument that 8 Ave needs to serve WB cars, and destroy one major barrier between DT and Beltline. While the CP tracks remain a physical issue, I'd argue they are actually a lot less hostile than 9 Ave.
Calgary is chalk full of terrible, terrible sidewalks but i think that the southside of 9 ave between 8st and 5st SW is the worst sidewalk condition i may have ever seen in any city i've ever been to, and I was in Vietnam for two months. This public realm and sidewalk with streetlights directly in the centre of them is an absolute embarrassment: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.045...4!1sh2fZllAsqmlwfowEO2UtAQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Whoever let this happen should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.

Calgary is chalk full of terrible, terrible sidewalks but i think that the southside of 9 ave between 8st and 5st SW is the worst sidewalk condition i may have ever seen in any city i've ever been to, and I was in Vietnam for two months. This public realm and sidewalk with streetlights directly in the centre of them is an absolute embarrassment: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.045...4!1sh2fZllAsqmlwfowEO2UtAQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Whoever let this happen should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.
Whoever did that section also designed this section on 10th Ave. :(

This could be interesting....

If anyone recalls, this includes the strip of historical buildings that front onto 7th Avenue that had a robo parkade proposedo on them about 8-9 years ago. That parkade, despite getting Council approval, still got defeated as the appeal board, with one of the major sticking points being raised by the owners on the south side of the lane about dumpster management in a congested laneway that was planning to introduce a 500 stall parkade. Parkade fell through, and I heard the lands were sold to the very company that filed the appeal (just a rumour, not sure). Now, with what appears to be consolidated properties, there is an application in to rezone most of this block, which would allow a comprehensive plan to deal with things like site servicing.

No DP yet, but I would not be surprised to see one soon.....

Back