News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Where are you getting these numbers?

I guess the biggest factor will be whether they cut and cover (will destroy business on Stephen Ave as they can't lose street frontage for a couple years) or Bore under the street (far more expensive).
The station cost estimates for the Greenline, general knowledge gathered from seeing budgets for tunnels for many recent projects in the Canadian context (Vancouver, Toronto x2, Ottawa, and Greenline).

I wonder what the boundaries of the Stephen Ave project will be. How far west will it go? Right now, it changes dramatically in feel at 4th street. Will that still be the case, or will this be an opportunity to extend the pedestrian space further west? I guess it is difficult to do that, given the parkade entrance to Holt Renfrew is inbetween 4th and 5th streets.

I like the idea of doing the red line tunnel at the same time as re-doing Stephen Ave, if a lot of work is getting done.

My question is, does Stephen Ave really need a make over? I think it's fine as is, with the exception of the auto traffic after hours. I wouldn't mind seeing it closed after hours as well. I'd like to see it go another block or two west maybe.

I wonder what the boundaries of the Stephen Ave project will be. How far west will it go? Right now, it changes dramatically in feel at 4th street. Will that still be the case, or will this be an opportunity to extend the pedestrian space further west? I guess it is difficult to do that, given the parkade entrance to Holt Renfrew is inbetween 4th and 5th streets.
I think it's the parkade access that limits it as you say. What I'm really hoping is the Riff in East Village takes off and forces the expansion of Stephen Ave though the municipal Building very soon. This is probably a decade out as well.

I like the idea of doing the red line tunnel at the same time as re-doing Stephen Ave, if a lot of work is getting done.

My question is, does Stephen Ave really need a make over? I think it's fine as is, with the exception of the auto traffic after hours. I wouldn't mind seeing it closed after hours as well. I'd like to see it go another block or two west maybe.

Absolutely it does, more than any other street I feel. Mostly because of its high prominence and heritage aspect.

Saw this tweet from @wendy_waters earlier. Vacancy in new generation buildings is only 2.6%. I'm looking for clarification of the stats, but if true, that could explain 500 Block looking to go forward and all the other permits for PB rentals.

DQ3d5liWAAImQl6.jpg

2.6% is still not that low and 4.9% overall is on the high side. Vacancy isn't the driving force behind the rental boom.

Absolutely it does, more than any other street I feel. Mostly because of its high prominence and heritage aspect.
Agree, but wonder if it needs it now? 20 years ago, it really needed it and the city stepped up, and now it's a great example of an urban corridor. If anything maybe it needs a bit of tweaking, but I don't see it needing anything major.

I would probably improve 7th ave instead. 7th ave doesn't seem like much right now, being primarily a transit core, but I see it as unrealised potential.

I like the idea of open liquor on Stephen Ave, having seen it work in European cities. Not sure if it would work in Calgary, but it's worth a try.

City of Calgary's 'well-loved' Stephen Avenue up for a facelift – and the options are endless (open liquor anyone?)

https://www.metronews.ca/news/calga...p-for-repair-and-the-options-are-endless.html

So what would you do?

Agree, but wonder if it needs it now? 20 years ago, it really needed it and the city stepped up, and now it's a great example of an urban corridor. If anything maybe it needs a bit of tweaking, but I don't see it needing anything major.

Was actually 30 years ago if, as the article said, they last did it in the 80s. That's a really long time without a touch up, and the point about the trees being choked to death every 5 years is valid.

The tree wells is quite interesting, does anyone know what they do differently now with the tree wells to increase life expectancy?

Vacancy might not be driving it, but it helps when new units are getting absorbed at a decent rate no? Wouldn't that factor into some decision making?

It's all relative. Vacancy alone doesn't have much of impact. Vacancy is short term and these are long term investments. First and foremost, is access to investment dollars earmarked for income generating properties. Real estate investment is as popular as ever. Second, is probably the new regulations in Ontario that is driving more of those investment dollars to Alberta. A half dozen projects proposed as one owner owning all the units and renting them out have already switched over to selling the units individually.

They just improved 7th a few years ago. it's not much, but is definitely better than it was.
I like what was done with 7th Ave. Clean, consistent the whole length, good (if admittedly basic) design of wide sidewalks, proper ramp placement, pedestrian scaled lighting. I think 7th Ave is great for what it is, which is more meant for function over style. The real show street needs to be Stephen Ave, so hopefully that is what gets implemented.

I would like to see a design pattern chosen that is then implemented the whole length, from City Hall to the Mewata Armoury. Yes, you couldn't do the pedestrian only mall west of 4th, but you could do consistent street lighting, banner poles, street furniture and sidewalk material. Keep the sidewalks nice and wide, and you would get a nice retail high-street for the entire core. Cidex is already putting the anchor in on the west end, and could build this new design when they do their final boulevard construction. If it is ready in time, the Century Gardens redevelopment could also incorporate it.

Back