News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

In 1987, the city only had 143 high rises (35+ meters). Thirty years later, we now have 364 high rises. That's pretty dang impressive. :)

Pardon my language, but f$$k what a difference! Calgary looked like a friggin concrete bunker in the 80's

It was a ploy to fool the Soviets. The thinking was that they wouldn't nuke one of their own cities. Also, if I've got the timeline right, the tree wasn't invented until 1993.

As an actual commentary, this is why I'm happy to see developers adding bits of colour to buildings. Be it in the form of light displays or architectural highlights. If it was all just blue glass we'd be staring at the three decades newer version of the exact same kind of wasteland.

Pardon my language, but f$$k what a difference! Calgary looked like a friggin concrete bunker in the 80's
To be fair, the area in that picture was the industrial area of the Beltline and the area along the CPR tracks, so not exactly the nicest part of the city. It's only been the last 15 years or so that we have really started to redevelop the foreground...

Part of the horrific nature of that pic is the coloring, which could be the type of camera, and also maybe the time of season. One thing for sure, even with a newer camera taking pics during the summer time of that particular year, would still show the deficiencies Calgary had back then. We've progressed so much in the last 20 years.

Part of the horrific nature of that pic is the coloring, which could be the type of camera, and also maybe the time of season. One thing for sure, even with a newer camera taking pics during the summer time of that particular year, would still show the deficiencies Calgary had back then. We've progressed so much in the last 20 years.
Yeah the colour and fuzziness of the picture definitely don't help. This is a great example of how far we have come in this city for sure though!

I love the design. It's too bad it wasn't slightly larger with retail at the corner to replace the retail that was once there, but still a nice little project. I liked the murals too, as they had a real 'Sunnyside' type character to them, but I'm glad to see they are being replaced with something nice. I wish Calgary had more of these townhouse type developments.

There is a proposal for the old Sunnyside grocery store on 2nd avenue across from the school, open house tonight at Vendome Cafe from 5-8pm. Here is a pdf showing the proposed project info:

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...12509486751/20171205_Sunnyside+Panels_WEB.pdf

Looks nice, but I'm really starting to get the feeling that white brick isn't going to be a design choice that this era is looked on fondly for in the future.

Knowing the owner of the site, and what he has done with the old grocery store I would not be surprised if the blank white walls perhaps end up acting as a nice large canvas...

Back