News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I haven't seen any construction on the curbs yet...maybe they are still doing prep work? I'm so thankful that in the engagement process option 1 was the least favored. It would be a complete waste of time and money.

Option 1: For cyclists, it's even more unsafe than it is now IMO.

View attachment 418256

Option 2 Same setup as most of the existing cycle tracks
View attachment 418255

Option 3 From a cyclist point of view this would be my preference.
View attachment 418254

One of the most exciting parts of the 34th ave upgrade, from the FAQ:

34 Avenue has a lot of overhead power lines. Will these lines be buried as part of implementation of the cycle infrastructure?
We have engaged ENMAX to bury the overhead lines on the north side of 34th Avenue as part of the Main Street project. It's our plan to coordinate activities to ensure power lines and infrastructure upgrades are constructed concurrently to minimize disruptions.

giphy.gif
I prefer option 2 to option 3. I use to favor cycle tracks like option 3 until I started riding 2nd St SW. When biking SB cars turning off of and on to 2nd St tend to think of cyclists last and the parked cars tend to block a cars view of the cycle track. I've had a couple of close calls. Making the cycle track wider at least might make them think twice.

IMO the ideal cycle track is: Two-way cycle traffic dedicated on one side of the road with street parking on the other side. Complete separation of uses; pedestrian, cycling, cars driving and parked cars. I never feel safer than when I'm biking down 12th Ave or 5th ST SW.

I haven't seen any construction on the curbs yet...maybe they are still doing prep work? I'm so thankful that in the engagement process option 1 was the least favored. It would be a complete waste of time and money.

Option 1: For cyclists, it's even more unsafe than it is now IMO.

View attachment 418256

Option 2 Same setup as most of the existing cycle tracks
View attachment 418255

Option 3 From a cyclist point of view this would be my preference.
View attachment 418254

One of the most exciting parts of the 34th ave upgrade, from the FAQ:

34 Avenue has a lot of overhead power lines. Will these lines be buried as part of implementation of the cycle infrastructure?
We have engaged ENMAX to bury the overhead lines on the north side of 34th Avenue as part of the Main Street project. It's our plan to coordinate activities to ensure power lines and infrastructure upgrades are constructed concurrently to minimize disruptions.

giphy.gif
I asked the question about the power lines.

Flew under my radar, even living close to 34th, but the city has updated the 33rd ave mainstreet page with this:

'June 2022 the City will install seven low-cost, curb extensions along the 34 Avenue S.W. corridor between 15 and 19 Streets S.W.

The curb extensions will improve crosswalk safety by providing a protected space for pedestrians and greater visibility for drivers to see pedestrians as they prepare to cross the street. They complement the wheelchair ramps which were installed in late 2021 and support our project goal of prioritizing the pedestrian via a safe and accessible public realm.

From June 9-13, crews will begin prep work, and the curbs will be installed between June 13-16'

Anyone notice these curd extensions? Currently the Design phase breaks down like this:

2021 – early 2022 -ish...
Community engagement on 34 Avenue cycle amenities -Did I miss this happening?
Pedestrian safety: Temporary improvement measures -Curb extensions mentioned above
Detailed design of 33 Avenue -Be curious to see this.
Design of 34 Avenue cycle amenities options -Likely resulting from the community engagement I missed or hasn't happened yet.
They installed temporary bump outs at pedestrian crossings along 34 and added some curb cuts for improved pedestrian accessibility at a few intersections (particularly at some locations where the street is off_set between 33 and 34, adding mid-block crossings on the south side of 34.

They're currently tearing up the sidewalk on 2nd ST SW right up close to the doors of the IBM building. I don't know if this is gonna be an extension of the bicycle lanes but I am curious. This is the most updated thing I could find:

Would they extend the cycle track that far north? Isn’t that where the green line will be going in the near future?

I prefer option 2 to option 3. I use to favor cycle tracks like option 3 until I started riding 2nd St SW. When biking SB cars turning off of and on to 2nd St tend to think of cyclists last and the parked cars tend to block a cars view of the cycle track. I've had a couple of close calls. Making the cycle track wider at least might make them think twice.

IMO the ideal cycle track is: Two-way cycle traffic dedicated on one side of the road with street parking on the other side. Complete separation of uses; pedestrian, cycling, cars driving and parked cars. I never feel safer than when I'm biking down 12th Ave or 5th ST SW.
Definitely would be nice to have no parking on the side with the cycle track. I've had issues with people coming out from between parked cars and crossing the cycle track without looking first, or the other classic issue; car doors that suddenly fling open into the track space.

They're currently tearing up the sidewalk on 2nd ST SW right up close to the doors of the IBM building. I don't know if this is gonna be an extension of the bicycle lanes but I am curious. This is the most updated thing I could find:

Probably just repairing cracked or heaved sidewalks, they have been doing a blitz on them so far this year. They are doing a ton in the University District which is quite disappointing as they are only a few years old...

Back