News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

So does this help or hinder the new event centre? None is in the works, and we still attracted a hotel. Or, is there enough rumblings to consider one "in the works", and that was enough to bring the hotel?
I'm sure the fine people at Matthews Southwest Hospitality are well aware an arena is coming. I just really hope there isn't going to be a +15 across 4th Street that connects this hotel with the Events Centre. Maybe while you have it ripped up for the Stampede Trail thing throw a tunnel under the road, or just make the visiting team (edit: it's an events centre, I should've said 'performer') cross the road.

Last edited:
So does this help or hinder the new event centre? None is in the works, and we still attracted a hotel. Or, is there enough rumblings to consider one "in the works", and that was enough to bring the hotel?
I would say that it makes no difference to the hotel people at this point, as there will be an arena nearby either way. The timing might have more to do with the BMO expansion..

To add on to this...

Went to the architect's website to get an idea what we might see from them on this project.

Best thing I could find was their work on the Omni Nashville Hotel, granted it's an 800 room hotel versus the minimum 220 they're talking about here. Looks like there's some kind of pedestrian street off of it and you can see some street-level activation with a 3-4 story podium. I think this is what we'll get since they mentioned additional meeting spaces (good luck to the TELUS convention centre).

1670363649122.png

I also read through a Live Wire article on the project.

Interesting comment from the hospitality companies president about the city's investment in the Glenbow, Arts Common and parks.

"Michael Garcia said that as a company they look to what is happening within a community, and within Calgary they liked the direction that the city is taking on the BMO Centre, the expansion and redevelopment of theatres and art spaces, and the investments into parks and improvements for people's way of living."

On the Events Centre I'm sure the city has given him a wink.

"We feel like there's enough in this market for sustainability of the hotel, but hands down, we hope that happens"

Meanwhile the Stampede says BMO has conventions booked 5 years out but this might get more.

'"We have over 20 conventions booked post-opening at this point, and that extends through 2028. We have others that have indicated that they want (the) hotel before they book here."

Interestingly the article says a convention hotel is about convention staff and not attendees, I wouldn't have expected that. Stampede also said there could be other hotels on the grounds too.

CMLC say they've been talking with the Stampede and Matthews Southwest Hospitality since 2019! So I'm sure there might be another partner that the CMLC identified in their hotel RFP. Wonder where that one might go, Big Four, NW parking lot?

CMLC has just emailed out an update about the hotel on the Stampede grounds, looks like it should get underway in 2024.
Says “to be completed in 2024” not underway. That would mean it’s going to start in like… yesterday 🤣

Edit: oh shit nevermind, they meant the convention centre.

4.5 would make it the highest level hotel in the city right? Our current is Sheraton Eau Claire at 4?

4.5 for the scale of boutique luxury hotels. I’m not sure how that equates to the bigger hotels. One thing for certain, it’ll be a nice hotel.
Ah. I don't know what differentiates boutique from… regular? 220 rooms as a minimum seems fairly large. When I think of the word "boutique" I think small scale. The Sheraton has 323… in the grand scheme that's not a huge difference. I'd expect "boutique" to be like <100.

Ah. I don't know what differentiates boutique from… regular? 220 rooms as a minimum seems fairly large. When I think of the word "boutique" I think small scale. The Sheraton has 323… in the grand scheme that's not a huge difference. I'd expect "boutique" to be like <100.
My understanding is ‘regular’ hotels must meet feature lists. For 4 star a pool is required - an expensive, somewhat difficult to accommodate, not entirely high use item. For 5 star, a motor court is needed, hence the Palliser not trying for those heights.

Among other things, like longer hours room service.

Back