News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Sort of related to urban development. Data from CMHC's latest report.

If thew price for Calgary seems a bit low, it's because it's the average prices for metro areas. Downtown or inner city areas might be higher.
Overall it's $1466; in the Downtown (CMHA area which includes Sunalta and portions of both the west and east Beltlines) it's $1,659 (13% higher) and in the Beltline (which includes LMR, Mission/Cliff Bungalow and Bankview E of 17th St) it's $1,599 (9% higher). The areas that are substantially below the CMA average are the Northwest (north of 16th Ave), Chinook and Fish Creek (the south central; bounded by the Elbow, Blackfoot/Bow River -- Chinook is the section north of Heritage). These are in the $1,350 range.

I suspect a lot of this is that most of the purpose-built rental stock in Calgary is old. Citywide, rents for pre-1990 buildings are $1,300; for 1990-2005 buildings, it's $1,412, and for post-2005 buildings, it's $1,769. For brand new buildings (July 2019-June 2022), rents are $1,912 city wide, and $2,300-2,400 in the inner city. (Note that the brand new buildings are included in the post-2005 total, so I would expect 2005-2019 buildings to be somewhat lower perhaps in the $16xx range; unfortunately, I can't find totals of the numbers of units by age, which would help immeasurably.)

These are all 2 bedroom units in purpose built apartment rentals (except the brand new units, which is purpose built rental apartment and townhouse/rowhouse). You can get the CMHC report data tables here.

A neat renovation project along Centre Street is being built by Certus, at 1005 Centre Street NW. Here is the before:
1674873140860.png

And here is the after:
1674873181479.png

The development permit has already been approved:

Not homeless - lived (lives?) in Sunnyside near the bridge. Many neighbors reported him when the video footage was released. Having said that, still not very likely he’s going to pay a $1M fine.
The man who smashed the bridge was released jail yesterday. As expected, he won’t be paying anything, and he was sentenced to 275 days of which he is already served so they released him.
In the article, it says he was homeless for the past 10 years, and they’ve given it as one of the reasons they’re not making him pay.

A neat renovation project along Centre Street is being built by Certus, at 1005 Centre Street NW. Here is the before:

And here is the after:

The development permit has already been approved:
Like the look but it's a shame they aren't pushing the parking to the back of the property.

Edit: Didn't catch this is a renovation on the first view and not a new build.

What a joke of a punishment for the homeless guy who smashed the peace bridge. Just because he is homeless and “angry at the world”, he can cause a million dollars worth of damage and only receive a few months in jail. See what happens if anyone of us did that…I get that he obviously can’t pay, but why not force him into mandatory rehab, and then serve 2000 hours of mandatory community service picking up trash throughout downtown? Don’t want to clean? Then back to jail you go. I think that’s more than fair punishment. I don’t know his story and frankly I don’t care, but we can’t keep letting people do this stuff and get away with it.

More annoying community opposition. I guess it's to be expected, as all community associations now have a default stance to oppose everything.

I especially like this comment stupid comment.

“The general context, in terms of the more recent developments that we’ve seen along this block, are coming in at six storeys,” said Kate Stenson with the Hillhurst Sunnyside Community Association. “Six storeys seems like a more acceptable height as far as what we’re hearing back from community members.”

The previous building was 7 storeys. The lot right beside it has a 9 storey apartment building. Lido, Pixel, and St John's on 10th are all 8 storeys, and Theodore is 10, and Annex and Hive are 9 storeys. There is only one development (The Kensington) that's 6 storeys. Another existing apartment (next to Safeway) is 11 storeys.

It also looks like the residents are also concerned about the building design, I mean, the previous building was an architectural marvel of beauty. :rolleyes:

More annoying community opposition. I guess it's to be expected, as all community associations now have a default stance to oppose everything.

I especially like this comment stupid comment.

“The general context, in terms of the more recent developments that we’ve seen along this block, are coming in at six storeys,” said Kate Stenson with the Hillhurst Sunnyside Community Association. “Six storeys seems like a more acceptable height as far as what we’re hearing back from community members.”

The previous building was 7 storeys. The lot right beside it has a 9 storey apartment building. Lido, Pixel, and St John's on 10th are all 8 storeys, and Theodore is 10, and Annex and Hive are 9 storeys. There is only one development (The Kensington) that's 6 storeys. Another existing apartment (next to Safeway) is 11 storeys.

It also looks like the residents are also concerned about the building design, I mean, the previous building was an architectural marvel of beauty. :rolleyes:
The change that is being proposed is actually minimal as this isn't even much of an increase. The redevelopment will be going from 55-60 units in the old demolished building to what - maybe 60 to 70?

It might even be a net decrease in population given the smaller household sizes that are more typical.

Part of the problem is that there's always so much attention to density, where the stuff that actually matters to the lived experience like sidewalks, lighting, retail design, materials, vehicle conflict points are all for the next step in the process.

I am increasingly of the opinion, that anything 4 - 10 storeys has near the same impact but the entire difference between "good" and "bad" are in the ground floor or two and the pedestrian realm design.

What a joke of a punishment for the homeless guy who smashed the peace bridge. Just because he is homeless and “angry at the world”, he can cause a million dollars worth of damage and only receive a few months in jail. See what happens if anyone of us did that…I get that he obviously can’t pay, but why not force him into mandatory rehab, and then serve 2000 hours of mandatory community service picking up trash throughout downtown? Don’t want to clean? Then back to jail you go. I think that’s more than fair punishment. I don’t know his story and frankly I don’t care, but we can’t keep letting people do this stuff and get away with it.

Mandatory rehab for... homelessness? Wouldn't that just be providing housing for the homeless? I support this.

The biggest assumption with 'mandatory rehab' is that rehab works. It has a 1/3rd success rate. While providing the opportunity to join the 1/3 is good, we as a society still need to address the 2/3rds. Right now we have iOAT (opiod safe supply, which the government tried to end and is limited to 88 people), methadone, and supervised consumption. Frankly our plan right now for the 2/3rds is for them to eventually die.

Letting iOAT expand accompanied by housing is the path forward. TBH I wish it wasn't. But it is. So lets get on with it.

Mandatory rehab for... homelessness? Wouldn't that just be providing housing for the homeless? I support this.
The biggest assumption with 'mandatory rehab' is that rehab works. It has a 1/3rd success rate. While providing the opportunity to join the 1/3 is good, we as a society still need to address the 2/3rds. Right now we have iOAT (opiod safe supply, which the government tried to end and is limited to 88 people), methadone, and supervised consumption. Frankly our plan right now for the 2/3rds is for them to eventually die.

Letting iOAT expand accompanied by housing is the path forward. TBH I wish it wasn't. But it is. So lets get on with it.
I wish mandatory rehab worked, becuase in principal it makes sense. Vancouver's drug court was more or less a mandatory rehab system, but the numbers were dismal unfortunately.

Some numbers from the program. Not sure why the failures, but unfortunately not much success.
  • Half (52%) of all DTCV participants had new charges and about 24% had new convictions within 6 months after their participation in the program ended.
  • Almost all (88%) participants tested positive for heroin,
    cocaine or other drugs within 6 months.

Back