News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Has anyone seen this yet? Seems like a terrible idea to me but I’m open to being convinced otherwise.

Calgary Looks to Demolish Aging Downtown Office Buildings

[The Demolition Program will provide financial incentives in the form of a $15 per sq. ft grant, based on the existing gross office floor area set to be demolished, with an additional $5 per sq. ft potentially available for projects that require asbestos abatement or hazardous material removal.]
You just know they'll get rid of all the interesting stuff, and keep the boring shit. Calgary gonna Calgary.
Agreed. I think the idea sucks badly. Unless the building has structural issues, leave it up. The city has had some stupid ideas at times, but this one is right up there.

As DiscoStu said, all the smaller, older boutique office buildings are the ones that will get demolished, leaving only the large lifeless security guarded office buildings.

Plans have been posted

1678988747246.png

God I love this scale and form. Give me these everywhere.
Couldn't agree more.

..and on top of that, they're going with light colored brick for the exterior. My only complaint is the frontage with the fence and not being closer to the sidewalk. Given the location I guess I'm not surprised. Outside of that, it's a nice little project.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more.

..and on top of that, they're going with light colored brick for the exterior. My only complaint is the frontage with the fence and not being closer to the sidewalk. Given the location I guess I'm not surprised. Outside of that, it's a nice little project.
1678995056350.png

Requires a 5.182m "public realm" setback (read Road Widening Setback grandfathered from 2P80). Cause we can all agree i am sure that Macleod Trail in the Beltline should maintain its sidewalk widths and could use more space for car travel lanes, can't we?

Requires a 5.182m "public realm" setback (read Road Widening Setback grandfathered from 2P80). Cause we can all agree i am sure that Macleod Trail in the Beltline should maintain its sidewalk widths and could use more space for car travel lanes, can't we?
That's right, someday it might need to be an even bigger sewer :(

Back