News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

On top of Riverpark in Chinatown, M2SC appear to also have another project in the pipeline.

1678657695750.png

A long way from shovels in the ground, but we should see some affordable housing projects for Parkdale, Bowness and Erlton.
That 280 homes that are either completed or in construction since the last two rounds were launched in 2018 and 2020 should be 2800! We cannot have the inner-city become a quasi gated community.

Really curious where the Erlton parcel is...

Yeah, must be this school, it's the only one in the area.

I don't want to sound disrespectful of the dead, but what a shame so much of Erlton is used up as graveyard space. It would be a great place for some low rise residential, but I suppose if it wasn't used as graveyard space it would be mansions.
It's not a shame at all. It's a source of much needed green space in the inner-city and provides land use variation. To dig it up for development would just make the inner-city more homogeneous. It's a fraction of the size of Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Toronto and Mount Royal cemetery in Montreal. The main shame is that it is not better integrated into the surrounding park system like those two cemeteries are. Plus, it's not like Calgary's inner-city is short on developable land.

It's not a shame at all. It's a source of much needed green space in the inner-city and provides land use variation. To dig it up for development would just make the inner-city more homogeneous. It's a fraction of the size of Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Toronto and Mount Royal cemetery in Montreal. The main shame is that it is not better integrated into the surrounding park system like those two cemeteries are. Plus, it's not like Calgary's inner-city is short on developable land.
It would be fine also to dig it up as a park, I just mean it’s a lot of graveyard space, which is more or less unusable.

Last edited:
It’s green space, but it’s not usable. From what I remember it’s all cemetery’ space. If I had it my way I would develop half of it, and convert the other half to park space.

It’s green space, but it’s not usable. From what I remember it’s all cemetery’ space. If I had it my way I would develop half of it, and convert the other half to park space.
I tend to agree. It would be nice to have some usable park space up there, but it's a prime location for a few small developments. Even half of that cemetery space would still be a lot of park space.

The cemeteries in that area are on both sides of Macleod. There's actually a pedestrian bridge linking the two, and I'd say the east side is better connected than the west.

On the west side, the larger cemetery block is just above a sort of linear park/wooded area that goes from Mission Road to 27 Ave in Erlton. Would be pretty easy to connect to that with switchbacks or stairs. Ideally this park would also be extended another block along the river to the main Elbow River pathway, but that would involve buying up some private land.

On the east side, the cemetery paths are integrated into the Reader Rock Garden paths. Would be good to have better connectivity to the river, or even just the existing intersection of 25 Ave and Stampede Trail SE, which gets you to both the river and Erlton station.

Last edited:

Back