News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

That Coop redevelopment on 16 Ave NE is in the news: Retrofitting suburbia: Old shopping malls can be saved by their parking lots (CBC News)

Speaking of which, North Hill Mall seems like it's Calgary's best candidate for retrofitting. The entire east side of the property could be redeveloped into a mixed-use neighborhood. The Sears building could be either demolished or retrofitted as work space or a community center. You also can't beat the location and all of the nearby amenities within walking distance: an LRT station, a library, grocery store, registry, etc. And a short commute to several major sources of employment (downtown, U of C, SAIT, Foothills, etc.)

There are a number of older condos that are lower in price and more spacious. The only downside to those older condos especially the ones from the 70s and 80s is the maintenance fees, and the potential for needed work on the buildings.
It’s funny because those exsmples you provided are buildings I still think of as newer buildings. The price per square foot on those is quite reasonable.
For those looking for 3 bedroom (or 2 plus den), I would suggest looking at slightly older buildings. Doesn't have to be super old, but go for at least 10 years. Here are some examples:
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/...-End-Calgary-Alberta-T2P5K1-Downtown-West-End

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/...-End-Calgary-Alberta-T2P5N6-Downtown-West-End

That Coop redevelopment on 16 Ave NE is in the news: Retrofitting suburbia: Old shopping malls can be saved by their parking lots (CBC News)

Speaking of which, North Hill Mall seems like it's Calgary's best candidate for retrofitting. The entire east side of the property could be redeveloped into a mixed-use neighborhood. The Sears building could be either demolished or retrofitted as work space or a community center. You also can't beat the location and all of the nearby amenities within walking distance: an LRT station, a library, grocery store, registry, etc. And a short commute to several major sources of employment (downtown, U of C, SAIT, Foothills, etc.)
Concord Pacific agrees with this, back in 2014:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/busine...+North+Hill+Sears+location/9943199/story.html

Hopefully we see some action on this sooner rather than later.

Here is a more recent article, talking about the contamination from an old gas station on the site:
http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgar...und-it-can-no-longer-pay-for-remediation.html

It says Concord bought the site in 2015, but couldn't reach the company for further updates when this article came out last week.
Someone bought Parcel 21 on the east side of the site for $25,000,000 in June, 2015.
upload_2018-1-22_9-39-34.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-22_9-39-34.png
    upload_2018-1-22_9-39-34.png
    158.5 KB · Views: 328
So Concord did buy the parcel in 2015. I wonder if they look into doing anything with this site before finishing the second phase of Concord in Eau Claire. Normally you'd expect that, but these condos would probably be lower end units compared to Eau Claire. Maybe we could see something happen in the next couple of years.

Dammit, you beat me to it, lol!
It's gonna be hard for them to give everyone what they want ... seems they have a bunch of overlapping proposals.
Being Calgarian I feel obligated to hate on Edmonton, but honestly I think their arena district has worked out quite well so far, and will completely revolutionize their skyline. I hope CMLC draws some ideas from them, and from the past success they've had in EV.

I'm still pissed off they want to get rid of the Saddledome so damn bad, I suppose it takes up a good chunk of area, but it's also a good chunk of our history. I dunno, I guess I'll decide when I see their design for the new arena. If it's another jelly sandwich looking thing *cough CalgaryNEXT*, they'll have to go through me before they ever set a finger on our 'dome.

Some good points in the article. I hope that they don't go too tall with the buildings and keep it more of a low rise midrise district. I like the way ICE is redefining Edmonton's skyline, but I'm not a fan of the actual feel.

I know it's different to come off organic when you're building a neighbourhood from scratch in a short period. The Ice District couldn't be more masterplanned and plastic. The arena will date itself quickly. It's an average design and the cladding looks cheap. The Ice district was designed intentionally tall for appearances. (and probably too tall for Edmonton's skyline.) The height makes it grander than it is as a new hub for the downtown. It would be more at home in Burnaby.

The cladding on the arena there definitely does look cheap, though I think the overall design will remain relatively timeless. For the actual Ice District, the design is bland on all of the buildings save for the arena, but it's the plaza that will make or break it IMO.

The proposal here is good so far, and I'm ok with very tall towers all the way to the Elbow there, as long as it's developed smart so that there will be areas of sunshine to enjoy a beer on a patio or toss a football in a park in the area.

Reactions: AJX
I'm not a fan of the Ice District either. I think the towers in it are too tall and sterile, and I'm liking the district less as the towers take shape. It could be my own biases, as I'm not a fan of LA Live either, and I think it's much more viable than Ice, as it's in a warmer climate and the Staples centre is busier. But even with that I'm not overly impressed.

I'm not against sports districts though if done right. Wrigleyville is cool, same for the area around Fenway. Both those sites are low rises neighbourhoods. Granted those stadiums are in older eclectic neighborhoods, a new area can still model itself after that.
San Diego's Petco Park is a decent example. A few low rise and high rise buildings mixed together. Walking around the area is nice, and the neighborhood has a human scale feel to it. That's the example I'd liek to see for Calgary.

Reactions: AJX
I'm not a fan of the Ice District either. I think the towers in it are too tall and sterile, and I'm liking the district less as the towers take shape. It could be my own biases, as I'm not a fan of LA Live either, and I think it's much more viable than Ice, as it's in a warmer climate and the Staples centre is busier. But even with that I'm not overly impressed.

I'm not against sports districts though if done right. Wrigleyville is cool, same for the area around Fenway. Both those sites are low rises neighbourhoods. Granted those stadiums are in older eclectic neighborhoods, a new area can still model itself after that.
San Diego's Petco Park is a decent example. A few low rise and high rise buildings mixed together. Walking around the area is nice, and the neighborhood has a human scale feel to it. That's the example I'd liek to see for Calgary.

Yes. The neighbourhood around Petco Park is an excellent example of urban design done well with mostly new structures. Another similar one is Coors Field in Denver. I hope Calgary planners are doing some benchmarking.

Back