News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Regardless of what we think of it, this has been a boon for Edmonton, and is something they have desperately needed. This has definitely kickstarted revitalization of their downtown and cleaned up a much blighted area. Now all they need is a hockey team! lol
Edmonton definitely needed it more than Calgary, and unfortunately weren't in a position to do something like a Petco Park development. They had to rely on the catalyst being the arena, a couple of office towers (one used by the City of Edmonton) and a hotel. I think Calgary could pull it off a Petco type setting, and because of this, I hope the city will take their time and do it right.

Yes. The neighbourhood around Petco Park is an excellent example of urban design done well with mostly new structures. Another similar one is Coors Field in Denver. I hope Calgary planners are doing some benchmarking.
Forgot about Coors Field. That's another decent area, I think it needs is 2 or 3 more mid rise buildings to flesh it out, but yeah, those are the types of examples Calgary should look toward.

Agreed. I think the Flames will come around eventually. I think they tried to play the usual cards involved in arena proposals and get as much public money as they could and I think they knew all of this at the start, but I also think personalities come into the picture and muddied it up a bit....not that this hasn't happened in other cities. It seems to be right into the new arena proposal handbook.

Having this extra time may be good also, as I think they'll get a chance to look at Ice and the downfalls and then make some changes. I don't think Ice will be a complete fail, but it won't be what some are expecting IMO, and Calgary can learn from their mistakes.

I kind of think it's irrelevant how Ice turns out because this is a completely different scenario. The city is already making things happen for Vic Park and any deal for the arena shouldn't really have an impact. I think part of why CSEC is so mad is they want control over development of the surrounding area the same way Katz does with Ice District. I much prefer CMLC to guide development, they are more qualified and aren't looking to make a quick buck.

With this plan for Vic Park coming out, what do people think will happen with the Orchard site? seems like a weird time for Lamb to be pulling out...

I kind of think it's irrelevant how Ice turns out because this is a completely different scenario. The city is already making things happen for Vic Park and any deal for the arena shouldn't really have an impact. I think part of why CSEC is so mad is they want control over development of the surrounding area the same way Katz does with Ice District. I much prefer CMLC to guide development, they are more qualified and aren't looking to make a quick buck.

With this plan for Vic Park coming out, what do people think will happen with the Orchard site? seems like a weird time for Lamb to be pulling out...
Exactly. Let CMLC run with it, seeing as how EV turned out, they'll be up for the task. Has Lamb, fully pulled out or has he put it on hold?

Exactly. Let CMLC run with it, seeing as how EV turned out, they'll be up for the task. Has Lamb, fully pulled out or has he put it on hold?

Does anyone know for sure. The Orchard sales office just closed one day. Signage was removed and no notice was put on the door as to what happened. It has also disappeared from Lamb's website but still appears on Fortress Capital's.

https://fortressrealdevelopments.com/projects/the-orchard/

It doesn’t make sense to go now. Hold off for a few years while plans crystallize and you’ll hopefully beat the market on return growth.

Yes. The neighbourhood around Petco Park is an excellent example of urban design done well with mostly new structures. Another similar one is Coors Field in Denver. I hope Calgary planners are doing some benchmarking.
I haven't been to Petco Park, but a friend of mine went to a Padres game there and said the neighborhood was pretty cool. After Googling it and checking out some pictures, I'd have to agree, it's a nice looking area. As far as Ice goes, I'm not crazy about it either, but it's better than the average arena stadium district....most of which are dead zones. I think Calgary could do better.

Is there infrastructure upgrades required for the VicPark build out? seems like Orchard could get in ahead of the game if there's demand in the market and they don't have to wait for utility work.

Yep. Oh well, Lamb seems like a bit of a tool, so we're probably better off. I think he cancelled his Edmonton project as well.
He cancelled the Edmonton one for sure. I remember seeing something in the news about it. not surprising, as he was having a tough time here in Calgary which has been more open to high rise condo living.

Back